Search results

1. T

Best bang for buck parlour? $300 range

Hi all, Doing some shopping for my better half who is trying to learn the guitar. We had a full scale dreadnaught for her -- a cheapy -- and she didn't vibe with it at all. Wasn't very nice to play, didn't sound great, and the size was too unwieldy for her. So, we're hunting for a budget...
  2. T

Montreal TGPers - Recommend a place to get a new nut cut!

Hi folks, Just wondering if any of the Montreal TGPers can recommend a place for me to take my axe to get a new nut cut. Its a nice USACG strat that I pretty much refuse to take to any of the box stores around here. So looking for an independent tech/luthier to bring this to. I'm tempted to...
  3. T

Question for Hayseed owners with EF86 option...

Hi folks, For those of you with the above mentioned amp: have you ever tried switching Channel 1 from EF86 to one of the other 12AX7 options? According to the manual there's 2 12AX7 options in addition to the EF86, a bright and a normal. On my amp both of those settings are totally unusable...
  4. T

Just want to showoff the new USACG axe...

Hey all, just finished up a USACG build of mine a couple days ago. Both the neck and the body are from USACG. Neck is 1/4sawn maple, body is an insanely light piece of beautiful swamp ash. Finished in butterscotch blonde. Callaham vintage hardtail bridge. I have a Kinman Hx85 on the way to...
  5. T

guitarpartscanada? guitar parts in montreal...

Hi all, Just wondering if anyone has had any dealings with GuitarPartsCanada in the past? Are they reputable? Alternatively, does anyone know of any places in Montreal where I can pick up some control pots, a toggle switch, and some copper shielding? I realize the electronics supply stores...
  6. T

Quick question for electronics buffs regarding the Big Muff circuit...

Hi all, Seems silly I know, but I have a questions (from a technical standpoint) regarding a couple parts of the Big Muff circuit. Here's a diagram: Basically I am looking to know what purpose a few components serve: 1) C2: what does C2 do in this case? Would it not be a low pass filter in...
  7. T

Thoughts on Bare Knuckle Pickups Irish Tours

Hi all, I am getting a set of these bad boys brought into my local shop and was wondering what people had to say about them. I am trying to decide between these and a set of Lollar Special S. I am currently a Kinman Woodstock user but I am thinking I would like to go the traditional single coil...
  8. T

High gain pedal for a Vox-esque amp

Hey all, I'm looking for a pedal to substitute for my Box of Rock. With my old amp the BOR sounded abolsutely killer. With my Hayseed on the other hand, it sounded like utter shite. Now I'm missing that mid/high-gain crunch sound that the BOR was so good for. What are some tried and true...
  9. T

Help me pick out a new strat bridge pickup!

Hi folks, I'm shopping for a new bridge pickup for my strat. I have Kinman Woodstocks in the middle and neck at the moment and totally love them. I'm looking for a bridge pickup that is going to be as hot (or hotter) than the Kinmans and has a really big meaty kind of sound. I like a good...
  10. T

My new Hayseed! - CLIPS

Hi guys. As I had said in the other thread, I made a few clips today. http://kobnet.net/~tez/misc/amp/noodles.mp3 http://kobnet.net/~tez/misc/amp/karate.mp3 Noodles is a clean clip. Totally off-the-cuff, so there's a couple dropped notes in there. You can hear some note ghosting as well in...
  11. T

My new Hayseed!

Hi folks! I've had my Hayseed for about a month now. A few users have asked for some pics, so I thought I'd make quick showoff thread. The amp is loaded with a Celestion Blue, and a Weber Silver Bell, and a must say, it's a killer, killer combo. The Blue has got that awesome smooth chime and...
  12. T

Nerdy Instrumental Rock

Hi folks... not sure what sort of response this stuff will garner, given the jazz/blues/classic rock-centric nature of the board.... Nevertheless, here's 3 of 6 tunes of my new band's demo. We're classically trained musicians (that's how we met: in music school) but are not limited to classical...
  13. T

Speaker Question (2 Blue Dogs vs Blue Dog + Silver Bell)

Hi all, Just waiting on my Hayseed 2x12 and considering changing speaker configurations. I'm wondering what the differences are, tonally, between having two 12" Weber Blues (what my order currently is) vs a 12" Blue and a 12" Silver Bell (a popular combo apparently). What does one speaker...
  14. T

Help me find the sound in my head! DC30, Hayseed! LONG!

Hi guys, First and foremost, I live in a place where high quality amps are not readily available. Not only not readily, but not at all. I think the nicest amp available in town right now is the new ac30 reissue, one of which my bandmate owns. I have a terrible case of amp envy at the moment...
  15. T

Snake Oils and intonation (or lack thereof)

I ordered a couple packs of Snake Oil Rocks (.13s) to replace the D'Addario XLs (.13s) on my Strat. After getting the Snake Oils on there, my intonation went completely out the door-- and yes, I know this isn't uncommon when changing string brands. The weird part is that 4/6 strings would NOT...
  16. T

Ceriatone DC-30 and pedals... good or bad?

Hi all, Recently I am investigating the possibility of upgrading my amp. For the past 7 years or so I've been playing through a Peavey Delta Blues 210, which as far as I'm concerned is pretty darn nice sounding. However, recently I'm finding its lacking some of the subtles in tone that the...
  17. T

Strat Setup Question

Hi folks, I had some questions regarding my strat and setting it up properly. I have no trouble setting action and intonation and whatnot, but in my years of playing I've never experimented with the truss rod or shimming or anything of the like. Just a quick rundown on the axe: it's a MIM...
  18. T

Memory Lane Demo Request! (RE: Noise)

Hi folks. I was wondering if anyone with a Memory Lane would mind making a demo of it for me? I have a Memory Lane that I bought used and I'm very worried that something is wrong with it. I know analog delays are quite noisy and honestly I'm not too picky about a bit of white noise and warble in...