Search results

1. D

RIP Kenny Rogers

I haven’t been very active here lately but came in here to say - being a kid born in 1971 just outside Nashville, my first guitar teacher when I was 7ish was Doug Siene. He was a session musician that died WAY too young and taught at B Sharp Music. The first two songs he taught me were Gambler...
  2. D

C.C. DeVille Appreciation Thread

I'm an unashamed CC fan. I was born in '71 and the reason I even picked up a guitar is Ace Frehley. Poison came out my freshman year of high school and CC is the reason I grew a set and played live the first time. I had taken formal lessons here in the Nashville area since I was 6 and half way...
  3. D

So.....who's gigging on the Fourth?

My band played the fireworks show last night. We actually headlined for the opening act that won the recent local battle of the bands deal. Their lead singer/ lead guitarist is my son's guitar teacher. My son is 12 and I'm no teacher! We do mostly Christian/Praise music and wind up in small...
  4. D

So who are the great "Ghost" Guitarists?

I'm not sure if he was referring to bass or vocals since he would have been an improvement for both, but Timothy B Schmidt said in one of those Eagles docs that he did unaccredited work for Poison. It was almost in passing when talking about what he did during the Eagles breakup.
  5. D

KISS S/T LP turns 40 today

KISS will always have a special place in my heart. I've bought the books, etc but I love 'em. I was born in '71 and loved music from day one. Ace is undoubtedly the reason I play guitar. When I was in 1st grade we had to take home those deals where you either sold magazines or select albums and...
  6. D

Keith Urban - your opinions - singer, guitarist, etc...

I have a Keith story. I'm sure I posted it here somewhere over the years. I live in Nashville and have a Harley. One of the local Harley shops has a restaurant with excellent food. This was way back in the day just befor "But for the Grace of God" hit big. He was popular but not huge like today...
  7. D

Tax season...about that record I did this year

Disregard all the remarks concerning Sch C and Std deduction, they have nothing to do with each other. Sch C just determines self employed income whether it's a loss or a gain as a sole proprietor. Standard Deduction is what the IRS gives you free and clear and if your itemized deductions on...
  8. D

What is the funniest most ridiculous country band name you can come up with?

I actually got that from listening to the radio and some redneck called in and was talking about harvesting the raccoon's penis because it is predominantly ivory and he then sold them. He talked about how upsetting it was to kill one and find out it was female. When I got to the office I had to...
  9. D

Vai - Boy Was I Wrong.....

Like you, I've never cared for their style of playing but obviously recognized their level of skill. I have also found some live YT videos of them playing some awesome stuff. I love YT. There's a lot of guitarists out there that I'd previously never listened to that I've now got into some of...
  10. D

Great Guitar Parts/Solos in "Pop" Songs

I know exactly what you mean TS, some of my following in the list may not have a solo, but the guitar plays a prevelant role. Free Your Mind - En Vogue Red Light Special - TLC Stop Dragging My Heart Around - Stevie Nicks & Tom Petty To Really Love A Woman - Bryan Adams Let's Go Crazy -...
  11. D

Dr. Z KT45, KT66 and Prescription questions

The RXES has been my go to #1 for 4 years now. It's my never let it go amp. Two years ago I was the CFO of a company that went under. Hit a temporary financial snag. Forced to let it go and ship it 3-4 states away. Re-found the guy and bought it back a month later. At 11:00 it has such a...
  12. D

Keith Urban & John Mayer - Jamming (Stratocaster Vs Telecaster)

On the other side of the coin, I wasn't much of a Mayer fan until the Crossroads with him and Paisley. I was a monster fan of Paisley right out of the gate. Figured JM was more of a pop artist with a studio type guitarist. Really loved that episode and became a JM fan as well. That Crossroads...
  13. D

How can you guys play with your amps at your ankles!?

Pretty much decided on doing this Wednesday night but my speaker cable was too short. A trip to the store rectified that so I should be good to go this weekend. I'm just so cramped for space up there. Two keyboards, bass, drums(electric so DI), two electric guitars and two acoustics. Cramped...
  14. D

Anthrax - Behind the Music

These type things befuzzle me. I'm a CPA and the CFO of a corp and my head is in business and business structure 24/7 so maybe that's my problem. This Anthrax deal, the Eagles/Don Felder deal, etc. When you start a band, say four guys in a garage and you carry it thru to getting signed and all...
  15. D

How can you guys play with your amps at your ankles!?

I'm in a situation right now (new guy in the group) and we have two guitarists. They have us standing right next to each other. He built a contraption where his amp is off the floor, tilted back and right in our face. We're both lead and we're the only ones not going thru the stage monitors, our...
  16. D

I had the most amazing day a guitarist could have!

Well, crap. Until reading this thread my "happy place" involved a tropic island, three girls never aging over 30, a duck and some cool power tools. Now I have to redefine everything. Cool experience indeed. Congrats! Brad
  17. D

Wampler Paisley Drive-Issue?

Can I have first right of refusal if you decide to sell? Brad
  18. D

Matt Nathanson??? (CMA related)

I really liked the first Sugarland album. I kinda became a fan when I saw them do Crossroads with Bon Jovi. The songs were better on that first album. The butch looking chick had a big hand in songwriting on the first album, now she's gone. Apparently had a big impact. She can sing so well...
  19. D

KISS Appreciation Thread

I just turned 40 on 11/5, so KISS and I grew together. My parents were into music when I was real little and at a VERY young age I had KISS albums. Some are on 8-Track and all on vinyl. Been to a LOT of shows over the years, met all of them a few times except Mark St John and Tommy Thayer. The...
  20. D

So, Who's gigging wireless ?

I use that Line 6 X2 or something like it myself. I had a Shure and a something else before. I'm not a big Line 6 fan but I like this unit. I plug the base in on my pedal board so no battery worries there. Get decent life out of the pack, I do keep a fresh pack in the case though. The only...
  21. D

before they were famous

Me and my childhood buddy were HUGE KISS fans. When Ace did his little tour to kick off his first solo album, Frehley's Comet, he played the National Guard Armory in Nashville, TN. White Lion opened for him and they started off with "Wait." Their album wasn't out yet and they got boo'd off the...
  22. D

Ever hated a song that got huge radio play?

Can't believe no one has mentioned "Don't Worry, Be Happy" and "Macarena" (sp?). You know, people forget that satellite radio isn't super old and it wasn't that long ago that every car didn't come with a satellite ready radio. Choices were limited. LOL! I was born in '71 and the 70's...
  23. D

Brad Paisley = Lost touring rig & guitars to flood

I live here in the Nashville area and got out basically unscathed with a flooded basement. My neighborhood is on top of a hill and I still watched water get closer and closer. Tragedies like these have widespread arms. Towns/cities all over America have endured weather related disasters. I'm...
  24. D

I want that Vox AC-30 tone in a lower volume

I unloaded an AC15CC after I bought an AC30CC and unloaded it after buying my Z's. Then bought an AC4 to have something more manageable at home. To me, and this is just MHO, the AC15 doesn't sound much like an AC30. Just a different sound with less headroom. The AC4 sounds like a quieter AC30 to...