Search results

1. T

What is a Hipster ?

Except the term hipster goes back to the 40s.
  2. T

Danzig...

My friends and I occasionally yell NORTH SIDE KINGS, UNDEFEATED at one another. Anyways, as good as he is (or used to be) at making music Danzig isn't really a cool guy. He's kind of a prima donna asshole who thinks WAY too highly of himself.
  3. T

IKEA Furniture or Death Metal Band?

It's getting into airline food joke territory at this point.
  4. T

Well, historically, black metal was in large part a reaction to/against death metal so it's almost like saying thrash and glam metal are basically the same thing because they can both be termed metal and have some common musical influences. I get the point, trust me. I just think the point is...
  5. T

Most of the bands there are black metal which is pretty different from death metal. But, I know while TGP is generally willing to have deep, philosophical discussions about the various permutations of blooze they think the exact same sort of attitude in metal is childish or stupid.
  6. T

Any bands like Killswitch Engage but with no screaming?

At some point I think you either get used to it or accept that there aren't really any bands making music like that with "normal" vocals.
  7. T

That Metal Show, weigh in

It's such an odd show because all of the hosts seem to have some sort of agreement that metal stopped existing sometime in the mid 90s.
  8. T

dolly-partons-original-recording-of-jolene-slow

It sounds like a woman's voice at a lower pitch. That's the only thing that bugs me about slowed down versions of songs, the vocals never really sound natural. Otherwise they're really interesting and cool.
  9. T

Melvins

I always love the confused look Buzz has on his face in pictures.
  10. T

Black metal : the new catch-all thread

Prior to their most recent album they were definitely more of a Neurosis/Isis and black metal hybrid. On the newest one though they went more industrial which was very welcome. I honestly have a tough time listening to post metal sometimes because it all just sounds like variations on Neurosis...
  11. T

That's the maximum sentence in Norway. Their prison system actually works really, really well but there are problems with it when it comes to people like Breivik.
  12. T

I listened to this album for the first time in awhile today and remembered how awesome it is. q9GbffF6GuQ
  13. T

Always good. I haven't been following Jef's legal troubles lately, does anybody know what's happened?
  14. T

Oh, and for a much more traditional black metal take on things, Urfaust is pretty thoroughly excellent. PbfcHoZvF8U
  15. T

Deafheaven does it the best and it's hard to find bands doing the exact same sort of thing, but there are a few different avenues you can go down. Bosse-De-Nage might be the closest thing, although I think they're weirder and harder to pin down. rUQQyNFGxzA Wreck and Reference isn't...
  16. T

I'm the rare weirdo who prefers Burzum to Darkthrone and Mayhem. Filosofem, Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and his self-titled album are all classics as far as I'm concerned.
  17. T

People always seem to forget about Darkthrone's origins and what they've been doing lately. Circle The Wagons is straight up a crust punk album. xmcyN01sK8w And then there's weird/awesome bands like Vestiges that straddle the lines between black metal, hardcore and doom. hR4_edvgfoU
  18. T

Maybe originally, but these days I don't think it's crazy to say that black metal has a good deal in common with hardcore, and especially crust punk. There are some early crust bands like Amebix that took cues from the likes of Venom and Hellhammer. Now you see black metal bands all over the...
  19. T

That chart isn't even close to being accurate, for one thing. It has death metal leading straight into metalcore which is really an offshoot of hardcore while grindcore was and is a cross between death metal and hardcore, not black metal. The chart also has Swedish death metal when I think it...
  20. T

Yeah, he splits vocals with the bassist now but it's still impressive as hell that he handles some of the vocals and does all that crazy drumming. Just one more reason why Absu and Proscriptor are the best. I'm still waiting to see them for the first time though. Proscriptor's health problems...
  21. T

Lurker of Chalice, maybe? It's Jef Whitehead's side ambient project so if you like Leviathan you'll probably be a fan. -1VISLfRDfg
  22. T

One of my favorite bands in any genre. It's a tragedy they broke up.

Trending Topics