Search results

1. M

Do You "Think" the Note Names As You Play?

If I had to know the names of every note I am playing when I improvise my head would explode. When I'm playing my best I 'm using my ears, muscle memory, and have stopped thinking about what I'm playing. Reading charts is one thing. Sight reading is a whole world on it's own. I can't sight...
  2. M

How to Replace Tubes in Vox AC15HW

Hey guys, I feel like I'm missing something in having to ask, but how do I change out the tubes on my Vox AC15HW. I have unscrewed the back panel. One tube has a metal enclosure which is easy enough to take off but the problem is with the springs on the rest of the tubes. They are so tight I...
  3. M

Tele bridge type match problem

I have a Vintique 3 saddle bridge on my tele and I want to replace it with a 6 saddle bridge. Problem is I can't find a bridge plate to match. The 4 screw mounting holes on it are closest to the back of the bridgeplate with the 6 string holes closest to the pickup. The only plate I can find...
  4. M

JTM 45 build

I just finished a JTM 45 kit from Mojo but there are issues. The b+ with only the GZ34 in is near 500 VDC everwhere there is b+. Granted no pre or power tubes are drawing current but shouldn't it go down some past the 10k dropping resisters? Then when I put the pre and power tubes in I got smoke...
  5. M

What are some cool versions of "Autumn Leaves"?

Very heavy dude, man....so softspoken and humble
  6. M

"Real Book" tunes everyone should know?

A Child Is Born Afro Blue All Blues All Of Me All The Things You Are Angel Eyes Autumn Leaves Blue Bossa Bluesette Blue Monk Cantelope Island Coral Cold Duck Time Dolphin Dance Falling Grace Footprints Four Freddy The Freeloader Giant Steps Green Dolphin Street How High The Moon How Insensitive...
  7. M

Ted Weber..RIP?

Just found out...sad..a loss to the music world and more. I met Ted at least 15 years ago before Weber VST. There was a BB called "Amps and More" on one of the old services like AOL, I forget the name, when I was just starting messing with amps. I posted a couple times on it and then got an...
  8. M

Low 9's (fast), or high 11's (tone)

I've been usinng standard 10's for 40 years. I like low action but can't stand buzz.
  9. M

Mick Goodrick "The Advancing Guitarist" - HELP!

I've had the book forever and every time I open it I'm challenged. I have studied formally and maybe that helps me in appreciating it. But it is a great book. Like Mick says there is lifetime of study in it's pages. From voicings to voice leading to quartal harmony to "the electric skating rink"...
  10. M

Looking for good intro to learn phrasing

Think of phrasing like talking and making sense.. Complete thoughts..sentences...phrases. Space is what makes the phrase obvious. Try usng a simple C scale in 4/4, go C,D,E,F,G in eight notes and rest for the remaining 1.5 beats. Then go G,F,E,D,C but then rest for the rest of that measure and...
  11. M

Playing Only 2 Strings?

I use a combination of left and right hand muting. For strumming with a pick, if I only want 2,3,4 or whatever strings to sound, I will if possible use my left hand to mute the other strings and strum freely. If I am picking or hybrid picking, if I can I palm mute the unwanted strings with my...
  12. M

Warm up and Stretching

I recently rested on these two excercies, one I got from here. But anyway, I use a metronome when I have one, preferebly at different tempos daily. First is a simple chromatic scale accross all strings within 5 frets, stretch the index going up to the next string and the pinky going down. Do...
  13. M

Stray Capacitance???

I looked again at the can, and it was the the other 2 caps that I had augmented not the first....so I put a 22@500 on the first and voila....no oscillation...thanks guys!!!!
  14. M

Stray Capacitance???

I've already augmented the first cap (right from the PT via the diodes) on the can filter with a 22@500 to get rid of hum.........
  15. M

Stray Capacitance???

i have a champ I rebuilt to a 6G2 with SS rect and cathode bias on the power tubes. my strat gets a subtle tremolo on the 1st and 2nd strings above around the 8th fret. I know it's not cone cry because I've tried different speakers. I thought it was stray capacitance so I made sure all wires...
  16. M

Unusual I chord scale choices

Looking at this particular idea in this manner really snaps it into focus for me, Joe. I've used it, there's a line in my "SG" where I use it, but never really thought of it as Lydian dominant from b6. The b5 along with natural 9 just knocks me out...very cool!
  17. M

That's right Clifford, no root. It's essentially a C lydian scale with the b9 replacing the root. A step beyond the standard D pent over C. The C major voicing could be a anything that sets the stage to be in the key of C major. 6, 7, 9, #11. Or quartal voicings. But the more sparse, the more...
  18. M

You've probably heard this from a Scott Henderson video. Try II major over I. Like D major (D Ionian) over a C major voicing. The b9 sounded so hip to me the first time I heard it I almost fell off my chair.
  19. M

How did you learn scales?

I was pretty much an ear player for 8 years or so before I seriously studied, and I don't know what I was using, but I was playing a lot. Once I went to Berklee back in '75 I learned some of Leavitt's method for position playing. There were 5 main "boxes" that I would go through the cycle of...
  20. M

Help with learning rhythm

4/4 ---- 4 : beats per measure / 4 : this "4" stands for "quarter note" and it gets 1 beat so 4/4 means there are 4 quarter notes per measure 3/4 ---- 3 : beats per measure / 4 : this "4" stands for "quarter note" and it gets 1 beat so 3/4 means there are 3 quarter notes per measure
  21. M

Texas Shuffle help

What I meant is the backbeat is the main thing. I mute with my fretting hand also because my picking hand is always in motion. Sorry....I just quoted the whole clip.
  22. M

Texas Shuffle help

+1 that's the ticket..........
  23. M

Amp Designers-Why don't more amps have the adjustable solo boost feature

Because they are smart and realize any guitarist worth his salt can get tone from nothing but his guitar and amp. If you need a solo "boost" use a pedal. Don't encourage these guys to put all kinds of bells and whistles on their amps... can't afford one now...then I'll NEVER be able to afford...
  24. M

Maj7 chord on b6 degree

Yea, it's pretty convoluted to say that the bVI major triad is actually the first 3 voices of the 1st inversion of IV-7. But the name stuck. What can I say...:rolleyes: :BEER
  25. M

Major scale usage in a Dominant Blues- Bebop

The natural 7 is a leading tone that implies the dominant chord a 5th above because the natural 7 is actually the 3rd of the dominant that wants to resolve to where you are. This can be used affectivey to introduce movement into an otherwise static line. I use it all the time. As just a passing...

Trending Topics