Search results

1. photios

Anyone go 11 Rack after Axe FX and not look back?

To the OP: I had both for a while. The AXE came to my arsenal first and after several trying months of dialing and navigating menus I finally tweaked out tones that I found to be excellent (as good or better than any tube amps I've owned). But the level of complexity from the AXE prompted my...
  2. photios

Axe FX users - please comment on proposed rig!

I agree...use the full capacity of the AXE including the cab modelling capabilities. if you're starting from scratch I would recommend you go FRFR...its more transportable and lighter weight...which translates to easier to load in and setup...and it uses the AXE's full abilities. But for me...
  3. photios

short AC/DC clip with AXE

thanks for the props. I don't know how to share patches...shoot me a link that has instructions on how to do that. I'm curious about sharing patches though since I've never done it...does the tone really translate accurately to others rigs? I ask because I think a big part of my tone is...
  4. photios

short AC/DC clip with AXE

I play Malcolm in an AC/DC tribute band http://www.kcdcrocks.com A friend of mine was asking about why I use an AXE FX instead of an old-school plexi with a 4x12. I told him that I felt I could approximate the tone with my AXE well enough and that its more portable, consistent...
  5. photios

can I get a Malcolm Young crunch thru a clean amp with just a pedal?

can I get a Malcolm Young crunch thru a clean amp with just a pedal? If so, which pedal(s) would be worth trying out?
  6. photios

Please help!! TOP amps VS my VHT 2:50:2 and preamp

just responding to the OP (I haven't read all the posts that come after): I think the key to having a rack system that sounds and feels good is to not skimp on the power amp. I notice you listed a VHT 2/50/2 as your amp...a lot of people like VHT power amps...but they have never been my cup...
  7. photios

Naked/Dry Axe FX Demos

great job...thanks...is this the 9.03 version of AXE?
  8. photios

AxeFx Users: What's in Your User Cab Slots?

would anyone be so kind as to give me the complete idiot's guide on how to load RED WIREZ IR's into the AXE for live use?
  9. photios

Variations on a theme...or a bunch of A/B/C/D

fun stuff. As an AXE user, I'd like to say it was the best...but to my ear it was only second best. I liked the real Marshall best on both part I and part II...then the AXE next on both clips. For me there is a smoothness and juiciness to the tone on those 2 clips that the others lack. But...
  10. photios

MIDI Foot Controllers Roundup

RJM makes a midi pedal called the Mastermind. I prefer it because you can chain several together (as many as 6 IIRC though I only use 2 on stage at my gigs). The pedals have 2-way communication so not only do they change your amp/effects but they talk to each other also and change the other...
  11. photios

pros and cons axefx

PROS: - very flexible - if you can hear the tone in your head, you can duplicate it on your AXE (once you familiarize yourself with all the parameters) - lightweight and portable - midi controllable - friendly volume control w/o losing tone - no tube maintenance - its capable of being updated...
  12. photios

Considering buying the Axe-FX - AGAIN. What do I need to know this time around?

to the OP: I'm on my second round with the AXE right now. If I had to give anyone advice about buying an AXE FX I would mention 2 things to them: 1) be patient...don't expect to plug in and play. Most likely the factory presets aren't going to satisfy and the AXE requires some pretty in depth...
  13. photios

best place (best price) to buy Apogee Duet?

title says it all...I've got a new iMac and I want an Apogee Duet...who's got the best price?
  14. photios

Axe-FX vs Eleven Rack

I've owned and used the AXE Ultra for the past year...its been my #1 for the last 15 gigs and its worked perfectly: great tone, easy load-in and setup, sound engineers love it. Last week I bought an 11 Rack so that I could have an easy way to record and re-amp...but it will be fun to compare...
  15. photios

Planet Waves Locking Tuner not locking on High E??

PW finally sent me some longer screw in locks...they are noticeably longer...like 1/8". This lets you keep the body of the tuning machines on your guitar and just replace the pins. With the new longer versions, they definitely hold the strings w/o issue. Contact their customer service and...
  16. photios

Fractal Audio Axe-FX: This thing is a MONSTER Part IV

Well thats cool...and I hope you're right...but I've spent too much time and effort to take a chance...the next few weeks will be fun doing some real time A/Bing.
  17. photios

I use the RJM Mastermind. Its a small to mid size midi foot controller - I don't like big behemoth foot controllers. But the thing that really sells me on the Mastermind is that it allows multiple Masterminds to talk to your rig and each other simultaneously if you want. So I can use up to 6...
  18. photios

Thanks man. The midi A/B will allow me to run my guitar thru the Wizard only for a killer dry...or run it thru the AXE only for killer cleans....or run it thru both for dry + effects + even additional amp & cab sims from the AXE...all with a single midi pedal. It won't have a large stage...
  19. photios

IDK if anybody care's but here's an update: Bought a second Ultra...should be here tomorrow. I haven't had any trouble with my first Ultra but its always nice to have a back up on gear that you gig with and the AXE +FBT is my #1 rig. I also want the second Ultra because I'm scared to update...
  20. photios

One of the best rigs I've ever heard was a W/D rig using the AXE and a Bray modded Marshall. The switcher was midi controlled (IIRC a Lehle) and the midi pedal allowed the rig to be all dry with just Marshall or all AXE with amp models and cab sims or a combination of both Marshall and AXE...
  21. photios

I use mine for rock gigs...AC/DC tribute band: www.kcdcrocks.com I've used my FRFR + AXE about 12 times now with perfect results. This past w/e played an indoor venue with 600 people and a small/medium sized stage...3 weeks ago played an outdoor venue with a large stage and 5000 people and the...
  22. photios

yeah, definitely gonna use cheap strings to test the new tuning machine out on from here on in. At this point I have 6 tuning machines will fit the right side of guitar in a 3+3 setup and all 6 of them show light thru them when cranked all the way down...that ain't right...if you're going to...
  23. photios

UPDATE: I contacted PW and they gave me an RA number. I had to un-install the tuners (45 minutes of my life I can't get back), then pack up the defective tuners and send them back at my expense ($5 USPS priority). They inspected the tuners, verified that they were in fact defective and then...
  24. photios

my turn now...my new set of PW auto-trim tuners won't lock the high E and B strings. I have PW auto-trim tuners on my other guitars and LOVE them but this new set of tuners must have a different design or tolerances? Anyway I'll contact PW thru the above listed contact form and hope for a...

Trending Topics