Search results

1. Fatherflot

My Favorite Electric Guitar Tone of All Time: "Fatback" by Link Wray

When you can get an instrumental banned for promoting juvenile delinquency, you are doing something right.
  2. Fatherflot

I would love to hear a fuzz expert armed with a waveform display explain what is so unique about the clipping here. I don't know of a pedal on this planet that can simulate it. I'd buy it today if it existed.
  3. Fatherflot

The chord tones here are my Mt. Olympus of distorted guitar From a 2007 post here by Tiki on the classic Wray tone: I'm guessing there is not way to get that without physically poking holes in your speaker cones. . . .
  4. Fatherflot

Let's talk about the 80s again....

I wrote about this quite a bit in a thread from about a month ago --- MTV made music into a very David Bowie-influenced puppet show. It had to to sharp-edged, colorful and dynamic in the small box. If you had a concept, a drum machine, and an arty extrovert to be the front person, you were...
  5. Fatherflot

Reverend Greg Koch Gristlemaster

They sell the special string tree that pushes down on the G, B. and E strings and I got one for my partscaster project, but it's strange because the tree is actually so high that it barely puts any downward pressure at all on the strings. I guess Koch likes his string trees tall too. Oh and...
  6. Fatherflot

Toots Hibbert RIP

I played "Funky Kingston" at the end of my radio show tonight. We will play your records forever Toots!
  7. Fatherflot

Toots Hibbert RIP

Never got to see him live. I kept missing him by a day here and a day there over the past decade. And then time ran out.
  8. Fatherflot

Toots Hibbert RIP

Mine too. Nobody, I mean nobody, brought Memphis soul to Kingston like Toots!
  9. Fatherflot

Bands you're "supposed" to like but don't.

I wouldn't be too sure about "none of the underaged groupie coercion" part.
  10. Fatherflot

post-syd, I'm with you.
  11. Fatherflot

My favorite Farrelly Brothers film by the way.
  12. Fatherflot

Nails? Like the softest, smoothest, most buffed and polished white nails ever?
  13. Fatherflot

Frank Zappa By every possible indicator -- age, taste, education, sense of humor, cultural references, musical background, I profile as a slam-dunk, lead-pipe lock, gotta-be Zappa fan. And yet I can't stand his music. In fact, I much prefer his cynical interviews and rants about the stupid...
  14. Fatherflot

What are you listening to right now?

Ha. Haven't listened to this in about 40 years. I loved this album when it came out --'78??
  15. Fatherflot

What are you listening to right now?

"I have known some lovely ladies in my time, but they only give me a mild reaction"
  16. Fatherflot

Is it me, or has this relicing fad gone Way Overboard?

The Well, 1985, tapping out on the Altair 8800, "How could they take a screwdriver and blowtorch to a new Breadwinner????"
  17. Fatherflot

Which are the most forward-thinking guitar companies at the moment?

I have to say that this is very impressive:
  18. Fatherflot

The companies like Flaxwood that are figuring out what will replace tonewood when it's gone or too rare and expensive seem like the most important innovators right now.
  19. Fatherflot

I don't get it. As Curtis Novak always says, a pickup is an INPUT device, not an OUTPUT device. What would be the point of "driving" a pickup? Isn't the movement of the strings within the magnetic field what "drives" a pickup?
  20. Fatherflot

Which one is Rock N Roll's most iconic ELECTRIC guitar?

I'll take my chances with Bo:
  21. Fatherflot

Bill Lawrence "Wilde" Microcoil Tele Pickups

Great to hear. Sounds like Bill's daughter Shannon is taking control of this part of the business and getting it running like a tight ship. They are great people.
  22. Fatherflot

Help getting "Boss Radio" DJ sound

I'm producing a weekly retro radio show from home using SAM DJ to select and mix and Mixcraft 9 to record. I have a good quality USB mic (Neat Bumble Bee) and I'm putting a combo of reverb, delay, and compression on it in an attempt to get that old "Boss Radio" DJ sound. Here's a an example of...
  23. Fatherflot

Biggest Regret Purchase?

I find this to be true of any guitar with 3-on-a-side tuners, but not with Fenders. My tele partscaster with Bigsby is pretty rock solid when it comes to tuning. It's all about getting the nut cut right. With 3-on-a-side headstocks the D and G string break angles--- and the resulting binding...
  24. Fatherflot

Biggest "WTF is that?" record company reaction?

Greatest Contractual Obligation Ratfrug Album Evah -- Van Morrison for Bang:

Trending Topics