Search results

1. Emigre

Od pedals vs Tube Amps and why?

Creating harsh distortion with transistors and running it into a tube amp to smooth out the hard edges is as old as the hills. Often the outcome is more than the sum of the parts.
  2. Emigre

Living in an apartment and guitar playing

Nothing will sound like a big tube amp into a 4x12 played at a decent volume... nothing. What remains is a personal journey where one tries to find what works for them and what doesn't, and also gradually grows to accept the compromises and even like and enjoy one of the low volume approaches :)
  3. Emigre

Clean, yes a quiet tube amp is no problem (it helps to turn the amp up and the guitar volume down). Gain with pedals, for crunch and light to medium OD is fine, probably a bit more compressed than an amp would be ime. High gain is where it falls apart. I have 2 Mesas (ROV25, TA-15), not that...
  4. Emigre

When does Kemper come out with a new model?

Same here. Bought it last month, expect an announcement every day :) It’s really, really good... even if a new one comes out tomorrow, my order’s in. I can’t believe it’s been out since 2011. On paper... outdated, might be replaced, blah blah... plug in and all doubt is removed.
  5. Emigre

Wow I never knew apartment dwellers are such failures in life. I am one of them, I live in a 2 bedroom apartment which costs more than a 4 bedroom house in the burbs. I grew up in a big city in apartments, and years later lived in my house in the burbs for a few years. Yeah, not for me...
  6. Emigre

Just went through the thread, and agree, this side conversation on going to school and buying a house just so you can play guitar loud was insane :)
  7. Emigre

Memorizing and Maintaining memorized music.

You forgot note for note ;) But really, great post :)
  8. Emigre

The Cost of Willful Ignorance: Help Poor Phuzzy Learn Computer Music-Making

Heh, not far off :) Reading between the posts, I think a demo video of the OP playing guitar.
  9. Emigre

Casio user here totally amped about Yamaha PSR e-373

I'm interested in arrangers. What puts the 373 so far ahead?
  10. Emigre

The hiss of studio monitors

I have a pair of Yamaha HS5’s and never noticed any hiss. They have a volume knob on the back, with a notch at the midway point. So I set them to half/notch and gain stage through my mixer. No hiss. If I turn up the mixer it will get painfully loud even at midpoint. Never had to set them...
  11. Emigre

New amp for a future new Dad

If space is limited and you need to steal some time on the kitchen table, THR10. If you get to keep a practice space, Fender GTX, Katana or Kemper. Aux in + headphone would be an absolute requirement. A new baby will bring stresses and tensions, you don’t want to compound it by practicing...
  12. Emigre

You're assuming the OP needs it? Not unreasonable, but as a mainly solo guitar player, it's not at the forefront of my mind. Answer, play the backing track on the Linux computer. A Behringer Q502USB can take guitar, mic, and Linux and send it through it's built in 2x2 interface directly to the...
  13. Emigre

JAM Pedals Fuzz Phrase, should I keep it?

"Dimed fuzz" is pretty standard into a tube amp, because the tubes will clip the hard edges softly. Dime it into a Spider and you overdrive its cheap pre-amp and a/d, resulting in the well known digital garbage. And, noted on the English lesson, it's not my first/native language.
  14. Emigre

It can be even simpler. The camera app on my iphone will record the first two tracks of my interface or mixer. Everything else is outboard. No need to use a DAW for a simple video demo. With computers the key is: simplify, simplify, simplify and then you scale from there if and only if...
  15. Emigre

You mean data? only to upload, and not if you’re on home (or starbucks) wifi. No bandwidth required to record.
  16. Emigre

Julian Bream has died at 87

Amazing player and one of my lights finding the way on classical guitar. RIP
  17. Emigre

I have those recorders, but in your case, you’ll still have no video. And getting a video editing app so you can merge the audio and video on Linux is not going to be a walk in the park. With an interface you can record directly into your phone, ready synced to video and post it in seconds...
  18. Emigre

Heh. I was a computer person before I even saw a computer. Once I did get my hands onto one, I was on a rocket ship to a now near 25 year career. Computers just melt in my hands, and never fail to do my bidding :) OP Linux is and always be an OS for hackers (what hackers mean by “hackers“, not...
  19. Emigre

Dinner with Al Dimeola

Haha that's so cool!
  20. Emigre

JAM Pedals Fuzz Phrase, should I keep it?

You need tubes to work with fuzz imo. You also need to know how to work a fuzz. Fuzz into a Spider (and did you say you're diming the fuzz?) would be entirely unlikely to sound good, or even how a fuzz is supposed to sound like. If you already have good chops, keep it until you upgrade the...
  21. Emigre

TGP is an interesting and difficult place (Hi, I'm sorta new here)

Welcome to the fray. Keep in mind, the Sex Pistols had it back in '77: Never mind the b***ocks. I'll add 2 things. 1. For the most part it pays to just ignore the idiot posts and focus on the positive. What gear you like, and post some videos. That said, it's also fun to jump into a TGP...
  22. Emigre

Mustang gtx100 vs boss katana mk2

First impression.
  23. Emigre

First - just a dude’s opinion, no need to lose your mind. That’s why I gave the context, so people take it for what it is. Secondly, that’s entirely untrue. I’ve played any number of modelling amps that sounded good as soon as I plugged in. The original Mustang III was astounding from the first...
  24. Emigre

0-1 by own goal :rotflmao
  25. Emigre

People who are allowed to write and sing The Blues.

If you have a time machine, you can’t have the blues

Trending Topics