Search results

1. Mark Barna

Gibson Guitars: Legend or Hype

I mostly play Strats but have owned Gibsons, as well as a Brian Monty LP-style, several Collings, a James Tyler Mongoose with humbuckers. The brandnew Brian Monty had pits throughout the finish, something I had NEVER seen in any other high-end guitar. The Collings 335-style had a scratchy volume...
  2. Mark Barna

Not happy with my Fender DRRI 65...

Seems simple. You got a good price, you say. Sell it and buy something warmer. Why play an amp you don't like?
  3. Mark Barna

Which Redplate amp do I HAVE to try?

I have a new Blackverb. Seems like a great amp, though still figuring it out. Have a TruVerb 100 head for sale on Reverb. https://reverb.com/item/10932159-redplate-truverb-2012-red
  4. Mark Barna

Gibson circling the drain financially

How could they be in financial straits with the prices they charge for instruments? And their loyal fan base? Seems like their profits should be through the roof.
  5. Mark Barna

The heritage guitars

OK, thanks. I compared the H-150 side by side with two Gibson LPs in a music store. And the H-150 smoked them both, clean or distorted. Feel of the 150 was way better, too. Really impressed with Seymour Duncan 59s in the H-150. Nice slightly scooped mids, making the Duncans chime when played...
  6. Mark Barna

The heritage guitars

The H-150s seem to be really heavy -- 9.5 to 10 pounds -- and this over a period of years for most of them. Not a fluke batch. I recall in the 1970s the really heavy LPs and people thought that helped sustain, but I believe that was proven to be a myth. So are the H-150s heavy on purpose? Better...
  7. Mark Barna

Masterbuilt Strats- Do people still have interest?

I agree with this. Besides A/Binging the two used MBs with Team Built guitars in the store, I did side by side feel and sound checks between the MB I bought and my two Team Builts. There are differences that have me pretty excited about the MB, and playing it at its first gig this Saturday. I'll...
  8. Mark Barna

Opinions: When you buy a guitar that's been hanging for a while.

I asked at Chicago Music Exchange to have new strings put on a guitar I was considering buying to give it a fair A/B chance against other guitars I was trying. They did it with a smile.
  9. Mark Barna

Ultimately, are John Cruz and Greg Fessler really better at building Strats than Chris Kroenlein, Ron Kirn, or Scott Lentz? I've owned and gigged with James Tylers, Suhr, K-Line, Fender, Fender Custom Shop. As I stated in my post above, I recently bought a Fessler Masterbuilt used at Chicago...
  10. Mark Barna

I think the main thing here is that you want a guitar that makes you want to play it. That can happen in a lot of different $$$ ranges. And more dollars don't necessarily mean a better guitar. But the Fender Custom Shop Master Builders are at the top of the food chain (that's partly why they get...
  11. Mark Barna

I was in Chicago Music Exchange. Played a bunch of Custom Shop strats and boutique guitars by other builders. I kept coming back to a used 1969 Strat built Gregg Fessler. I was there 3 hours. That was the best guitar. I gave them an offer, way lower than their used price. They took it. What a...
  12. Mark Barna

Reverb WARNING

Yeah, just a troll selling a pedal, wanting views, so I did not take the bait and watch the video as he wanted. But as far as Reverb, it's a good site to sell gear at. Unlike TGP, Reverb is easy to post pictures and things sell quickly as long as you are realistic about price, or better...
  13. Mark Barna

Is it over for Grace Potter?

Songs were not strong. Her stage presence involved short skirts and awkward hippy dancing. And she is now 34 with a baby on the way. She will continue to tour, release albums on small labels, and vanish except for die-hard fans.
  14. Mark Barna

Goats Head Soup

Some good songs, but I think their worst album of the 1970s (not counting Love You Live).
  15. Mark Barna

NAD: Germino Master Lead 55

nothing wrong with that clip sound
  16. Mark Barna

Share your "aha" moment.

Connecting how I play at home with how I play live with a band, and realizing the approach had become the same.
  17. Mark Barna

Fender vs. K-Line, Suhr, etc.

I used to buy guitars over the internet. Last few years I've bought those I liked playing and seemed to connect with in music stores. Short story: the guitars I played are about $1,500 less than the ones I bought on the internet, having never played them. If you play before you buy, you might...
  18. Mark Barna

Doug's Tubes. Terrible customer service

Always best to take a breath before pushing the send button on an email written in the heat of the moment.
  19. Mark Barna

What happened to Rocketfire's website?

worked for me. http://www.rocketfireguitars.com/guitars.html
  20. Mark Barna

Red Plate fans... I want a tweedyverb... what do i need to know?

I picked up a used TruVerb 50/100 head, four 6l6s. This is a clean platform, also has great MV for dialing down to fit the room. If you want, you can overdrive it by bypassing the tone stack -- turn MV down and crank the volume. But it lives as a pedal platform. My other amp is a 20-watt Bad...
  21. Mark Barna

Collings CL & R9 – Why such different tones?

I've owned and gigged both. At a gig, no one will be able to tell the difference in sound between a Les Paul and CL. So they aren't that different. CL is more refined in feel, not necessarily in sound.
  22. Mark Barna

I think I finally found my "grail" amp tone (Vibro King)

Ron Wood too. Pix are out there!
  23. Mark Barna

The Baker B3 Phoenix

I'm sure you want all opinions. I played some at Chicago Music Exchange a month ago. What turned me off was the relicing and the price. They were mostly $4,000 plus. You can buy a lot of great gear in that price range. I couldn't understand why they cost so much. These are mahogany Tele/Firebird...
  24. Mark Barna

I'm thinking about carving down the neck of my Collings I-35LC...

You went about it in the best possible way. You had the builder do the job and you supplied the Suhr neck radius. I did something similar with my Rocketfire Strat. Had the builder work on the neck when things moved. Worked out great.
  25. Mark Barna

I just love EL84s

Aren't Komet amps all El 84s except some monsters with EL 34s? I'd be curious how much different they really sound, or if someone could tell in a blind listen. FYI, I owned a Komet 19 and gigged it for 3 years, so not oblivious about Komet amps.