Search results

1. calieng

Chapman of Chapman Guitars - what is the issue?

Coming late to the thread but I just wanted to say I always thought Chapman was a wanker and poser. Especially the earlier videos dressed like a Jamacan. Sorry but a Brit cannot pull that off. The Captain seems like a nice guy.
  2. calieng

Carol Ann Amps - Thread XVII

It can be very stressful running a small business. Especially in the music instrument business where a lot of the customers are musicians starting out, high school kids getting their first guitar and amp etc watching every penny and always grinding you down on price. I run an engineering...
  3. calieng

Alnico Cream for my Maz 18?

I put a Fane M65 in mine. But for more bass try a Fane H75. Cuts the harsh high end down but still retains treble sparkle. Creambacks sound too bright in that amp IMHO (I replaced a Creamback M).
  4. calieng

I have an OD-100 II. Tried it thru a Creamback 2X12 and noticed a little brightness that may be what you mentioned. Ended up going with an Avatar Fane M65 and H75 mix in the cabinet and now it sounds wonderful. You might also check the bias of the power tubes. Not familiar if the R model of the...
  5. calieng

Dr. Z Maz Jr II Speaker Upgrade

Did you happen to try the Avatar A25 or A50? Was also considering those. Thought the higher power rating might keep the speaker a little tighter but still give the Alnico goodness....but then again the Fane sounds just about perfect to me so will consider an Alnico on another amp perhaps.
  6. calieng

It had the Creamback M. Yes understood it was not broken in yet. But I found the Fane to be more articulate than the Celestion in prior use so will stick with it. I can set the Cut control mid way now instead of turned down to 9 o'clock. Love the amp. Thanks!
  7. calieng

Just received a new Maz Jr and really like the amp although still a bit bright for my ears. I happened to have some extra Avatar Fane M65s so I tried one out in it and man does it ever sound great! Tames the harsh high end without loosing the treble sparkle. Just a perfect speaker in this amp...
  8. calieng

Gutting and rebuilding a 59 Bassman Reissue?

It depends on your level of experience with amp building. If I was doing it I would just buy a turret board and use a schematic and layout from a well regarded kit to build up the circuit. Someone with not a lot of experience might be further ahead to buy the entire amplifier chassis kit with a...
  9. calieng

Celestion speakers for 2x12 + ENGL Blackmore

Avatar Fane H75 and M65 combo. Each have similar sensitivity and around 130W combined wired in series for 16 ohm. https://avatarspeakers.com/product-category/speakers/fane/
  10. calieng

Alan, A promise was made two weeks ago to ship not last week. And no reply to emails for two weeks. This was simply a last attempt to get your attention. Not meant as anything but that. Per my last email I am willing to let the others have the ready made cabs if still possible as I have made...
  11. calieng

You do not know anything about this situation. I was not referring to manufacturing time.
  12. calieng

Alan, Please check your email. I sent the cabinet order requests for the 2X12s for the other forum members a while ago and have also not received my items. It has been 2 weeks. Thanks.
  13. calieng

I fully intended to pay your normal price. You deserve to earn a fair markup. I need two black vertical 2x12 unloaded. Another member needs a third and another a cream. Maybe there are a few others as well. I would be happy to be the point of contact to make the list with the names and...
  14. calieng

Hi Allen, I need two vertical standard black. Unloaded is fine. I can pay you direct or pay the supplier however is easier for you. If you would allow me to help others then I would order 8 cabinets or whatever fits on a pallet and offer the extras to the others who have asked for one. Once...
  15. calieng

Alan, Is there anyway you would allow your supplier to build another set of 2X12" cabinets? I have seen several people looking for them. I contacted the supplier but they would not build based on your template as it is confidential. I would put in an order for several cabinets if you would...
  16. calieng

Why is Reverb charging sales tax on an used amp in California?

I wonder if there will be more enhanced versions of sites like Craigslist popping up now. There is no tax on an individual selling a used item to another person. Where does it cross the line from being a classified ad (Craigslist) to being a market place listing (eBay, Reverb)??? Maybe if there...
  17. calieng

Why is Reverb charging sales tax on an used amp in California?

I believe CA tax on Reverb just started on the 14th of the month. I went on a buying spree before it kicked in because I will no longer be buying on there as much now. The tax effectively kills any hobby buying and selling of gear because there is now no way to make a few dollars or even break...
  18. calieng

Guitar shipping cost comparison - USPS vs. FedEx

Fedex uses scanners to check the volume of the shipping box as it goes along the conveyer belt. I was charged an extra $100. a couple months ago because my box was resting against another when it was scanned so I got charged the volume price for two boxes. Didn't realize it until I saw the...
  19. calieng

Tube or SS combo amps for Helix/Headrush setup

I prefer a good clean tube amp. For a fairly portable stereo setup I am using two PRS Archon 25 combo amps thru the clean channels. Fairly light amps and can be had $800+ used. The clean channel stays clean on these amps and they have a good speaker for this use IMHO. And while small they do...
  20. calieng

People who sell on Reverb AND Ebay.. which do you prefer?Why?

I just closed my eBay store. Had over 1500 sales on eBay but Reverb seems to be the better place to sell now. Had a few concerns when they first opened but looks like they have a good system going now. I absolutely hate eBay but it used to be the only game in town. Happy to never give them any...
  21. calieng

Orange VT-1000 Valve Tester - Snake Oil

The MaxiMatcher for power tubes is only $200 more than the VT-1000. That's all I really care about as far as testing and matching is for power tubes. Will let you know. Thanks.
  22. calieng

There was a flash inside one tube just as the fuses blew. I wondered if one pin has not making a good connection but when I swapped in another set and they worked fine and then swapped back the originals and they red plated again it seems to be a bad tube...the VT-1000 found the bad tubes all...
  23. calieng

Tubes were TAD EL34 matched quad. A set of two redplating is usually a defect in one tube or defect in the socket / resistor etc...appears the amp is fine.
  24. calieng

Had two EL34s on the left side of a quad redplate and one flashed and took out the HT and power line fuses on my BE100 before I had a chance to turn it off. Was an open box unit from a dealer that I just received. I had a replacement set of tubes so I tried them out in the amp and they worked...
  25. calieng

Brand New black guitar with fine scratches

A 'new' guitar from a guitar store is often more used than a private guitar collector's 'used' guitar due to so many people trying it out... I would ask if it is new in the factory box or if it is a display model if it really matters. I have had good luck with car wax on poly finishes for...

Trending Topics