Search results

1. Kiwi

What is your favorite V/U, Lou Reed cover song?

Other than "Sweet Jane" as reimagined by the Cowboy Junkies (already "liked" above) - My favorite cover of a VU song? The time I went into a Hispanic supermercado in East Dallas for some special ingredients, and the music on the PA was just unbelievably familiar ... "Femme Fatale," in...
  2. Kiwi

Urinal encounters with famous people

After 150 stories of Peeing With the Greats ... Please tell me they all washed their hands before going back outside and playing guitar or whatever ... --K
  3. Kiwi

Guitars Are back Baby, according to the New York Times

Here's the story link: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/08/style/guitar-sales-fender-gibson.html?action=click&module=Editors%20Picks&pgtype=Homepage It may be paywall protected. If so, here are some excerpts: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Not so long ago, things didn’t look so...
  4. Kiwi

School me on: Gibson ES-335!

I'd describe it as a Les Paul that actually graduated from high school. More air in the tone and the attack = a bit more sophistication. But still up for a broken-bottle fight in the back alley, if it comes to that. And it has. <cue Alvin Lee, Eric Clapton, a dozen others> =K
  5. Kiwi

Did you ever wake up with a totally unexpected song in your head? (How did Jim Croce get up there??)

It's a beautifully written post, FD. Thanks for writing it. Like you, as I've gotten older, I'm actually more open to music I used to dislike. Sirius XM radio's many channels serve up a lot of old and new songs. And, like you, I often find myself listening to older stuff I'd dismissed as...
  6. Kiwi

Let's see those ES-335's

I've posted this before, but ... My Memphis 335 with block inlays, from The Great CME Gibson Blowout in 2017. $1700 new, delivered to my door. Pretty sure that won't ever happen again in my lifetime, so, thanks, pre-bankrupt Gibson, and to CME for backing up a trailer to take the Memphis...
  7. Kiwi

Late-60s Kalamazoo KG-1 ...

***UPDATE 8-28-20*** Got the Kalamazoo amp back from the tech this week. New filter caps, death cap gone, 3-prong grounded power cord. Good to go. It's up for sale in the Amps For Sale section now. --K
  8. Kiwi

FS Sears Silvertone model 1482 amp, late 60s/early 70s, original tubes, just amp tech'ed ...

This Silvertone 1482 (1x12, about 15 w) has been sitting in my buddy's parents' basement since the 1970s. I'm selling it for him. Story is that his two older sisters did hard time in a polka band as teenagers. They ran both their accordions through this classic. It's in great shape since they...
  9. Kiwi

FS Kalamazoo Reverb 12 amp from late 60s/early 70s - very clean, amp tech'ed, and original tubes!

This Kalamazoo Reverb 12 amp has been sitting in my buddy's parents' basement since about the early 70s. He got it as a teen, never played it, and has asked me to sell it. Kalamazoo was Gibson's budget amp and guitar line, thus the name. Very good condition - see pictures. Still has the...
  10. Kiwi

Cost for a cap job and three-prong conversion for vintage Ampeg Reverberocket

I just dropped off two old amps, both untouched for 45 years, at my amp tech. Cap replacement and 3-prong plug was $100 for each amp, including bench time, parts and tax. =K
  11. Kiwi

My Echopark Guitars Nightmare

Over the years I've corresponded, amicably and at some length, back and forth with several of the editors at Guitar Player about various things. GP, as you know, has published several glowing reviews of Echopark guitars. I've advised them of the serious problems that actual Echopark owners are...
  12. Kiwi

For Steely Dan fans...

I'm cheering for every band that keeps these great Dan old songs alive. =K
  13. Kiwi

Have you played with any "famous" musicians?

Well, they're all household names in my household. :dude =K
  14. Kiwi

Post Malone - Cliffs Of Dover

YouTube led me to various other covers, including this exemplary version by Laurence Henderson. All these covers made me appreciate what a freakin' work of genius Eric Johnson created. Props to anyone who can play it well enough that we can all sit around and spitball their performances. =K
  15. Kiwi

RIP Trini Lopez

You dorks here arguing about Covid are TGP at its worst. Shame on all of you. Why don't you learn a bit about Trini Lopez himself? Here you go: His obit in his hometown paper...
  16. Kiwi

Lou Reed / Velvet Underground

Before and after VU. "Rock'n'Roll Animal" is a classic. So is "New York" - go check it out! :dude:dude:dude =K
  17. Kiwi

Yeah, that would be a unicorn! Reverb from a tube based pedal — then the BM’s wonderful tremolo. ;) —K
  18. Kiwi

Up for sale now: $550 including shipping (Lower 48 ground) and PP fees (now more than ever). https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/late-60s-kalamazoo-kg-1-550-incl-ship-fees.2169136/ =K
  19. Kiwi

FS Late-60s Kalamazoo KG-1 ... $550 incl ship & fees

A basement find: Kalamazoo KG-1 guitar, in Frost White. Works fine, plays fine, summons the 60s. Gibson made these in their Kalamazoo line, approx. 1967-68. A friend just dug this one out of his parents' basement - he got it for Christmas decades ago as a kid, but guitar didn't grab him, so...
  20. Kiwi

I just checked the lone single-coil pickup on the KG-1 guitar with a multimeter. It clocks in at 7.2 k/ohms. What the heck did they put in those things? Is it a Melody Maker pickup? Yeah, through an amp - it's as loud as a bridge humbucker! Wow - =K
  21. Kiwi

Well, my friend Tim said to put it up for sale, and he'd like to see it go to a good home. Please check your PMs. Anyone else who's interested, PM me as well. Let's get this old guitar back to making music.
  22. Kiwi

Funny you should mention that. Here's the amp he got with the guitar, about fifty years ago. The Kalamazoo Reverb 12, with both reverb and tremolo, runs on two EL84s and two 12AX7s. Still has the original complement of 1960s USA tubes. Handwired, of course. Because it has not been...
  23. Kiwi

A friend of mine dug his old beginner guitar out of his parents' basement and brought it over. Thought some of you might enjoy a look. Behold the Kalamazoo KG-1, in original chipboard case and vinyl strap, from the 1967-68 era: Kalamazoo was Gibson's entry-level line as the 1960s electric...
  24. Kiwi

Photo hosting service for TGP? Please don't say photobucket

imgur works fine. I appreciate its feature where you can select the re-size before you post an image. =K
  25. Kiwi

Old guys, what was BOSTON when they came on the scene?

Exactly. You can't exaggerate how dominating that record was, especially in the Northeast. Turn on any AM or FM radio station, any time of day or night, and there it was. Every car driving by with the windows down was blasting it. Every dorm room was blasting it. Every record store was playing...

Trending Topics