Search results

1. Allen in San Jose

Kurt Cobain - pretentious?

But isn't that the classic tragedy of celebrities (and very successful people in general )?
  2. Allen in San Jose

Conspiracy theories? And misogynistic ones, at that?
  3. Allen in San Jose

I don't think Kurt would have agreed with you. And nor do I. I think they were genuinely in love with one another but had so many crazy issues and demons, both of them. It's a damn shame Frances Bean didn't grow up without her father. I can't imagine what it's like to be her, considering the...
  4. Allen in San Jose

I know, I know. :)
  5. Allen in San Jose

Fully agreed. Mental illness is no joke. I say that from extensive personal experience.
  6. Allen in San Jose

Meanwhile, a lot of "cock rock" fans in Lowbrow Middle America would look at this scene as rather elitist, to put it mildly. And they wouldn't be wrong IMO.
  7. Allen in San Jose

Thankfully I'm not lobbing insults at him. I think the rest of your post is very good btw.
  8. Allen in San Jose

Yeah, and I'm sure Kurt was himself ridiculed as a sellout even as he ridiculed the jock rock bands. :drink
  9. Allen in San Jose

Not only that, but if you took a snapshot of Pearl Jam and their fan base circa 1997 you'd have never known that they'd made Ten - and that's the way they wanted it to be. One could argue that Nirvana were doing the same thing with In Utero ie. consciously winnowing out their fanbase via making...
  10. Allen in San Jose

Very informative and insightful post! Thanks!
  11. Allen in San Jose

Great comments, all. Thanks. I dunno, I guess I sense an elitism in Cobain’s comments (and those of many others, he was by no means alone) that kind of rubs me the wrong way. Maybe that’s just me. Will always love Nirvana in any case.
  12. Allen in San Jose

The Great Myths....

“Get off my lawn” is not an age-dependent sentiment.
  13. Allen in San Jose

90's Poll: Nirvana or Smashing Pumpkins

Kurt and Courtney would write songs or parts of songs together and suggest improvements to each other’s work. It was actually a key part of their relationship.
  14. Allen in San Jose

The Great Myths....

Just started a thread that touches on this. :)
  15. Allen in San Jose

Kurt Cobain famously would publicly criticize and even mock bands that he didn’t like, especially “cock rock” bands. The most notorious case was that of Guns N Roses, in part because that escalated to a personal feud with Axl Rose - and anything involving Axl is bound to be controversial (side...
  16. Allen in San Jose

When people tell me that unique musical geniuses don’t exist...

Oh great, look what I started. I just posted a fun little thread appreciating Hendrix...and it’s turned into “Well actually, Jimi was no Coltrane, also musical quality is quantifiable and 2 + 3 = you’re wrong and I’m right.” Good job.
  17. Allen in San Jose

When people tell me that unique musical geniuses don’t exist...

...I tell them to listen to Are You Experienced. If they aren’t convinced, I then tell them to listen to Axis: Bold As Love. If they still aren’t convinced, I tell them to listen to Electric Ladyland. And if they’re still not convinced, I shake my head and write them off as a sad lost soul...
  18. Allen in San Jose

Any Elvin Jones fans out there?

Don’t have anything to add other than that yes, I’m an Elvin Jones fan. Holy innovator, Batman!
  19. Allen in San Jose

I’m not crying, you’re crying....I’m a strong man, I swear...

Ok, I lied...I’m weeping. The emotions....
  20. Allen in San Jose

The Offspring = the most metal mainstream punk band.

Wow, ok then. Keep jealously guarding those genre boundaries.
  21. Allen in San Jose

Which was always a ridiculous division.
  22. Allen in San Jose

Oh I see the issue here. They became too popular and commercially successful to be punk. Got it.

Trending Topics