Search results

1. G

Not Fender/Marshall/Vox…what is your favorite amp?

Quilter Mach 2 MicroPro HD is literally everything I ever wanted from an amp. Checks every box there is for me and then some, and I spend more time just playing than I have at any point in 25 years.
  2. G

Sustain Myths

This is a GREAT post.
  3. G

Sustain Myths

To me, these are the most critical factors: 1) From a mechanical standpoint, fret level and dress, action, and neck relief. 2) Player technique. 3) If we’re talking feedback, some volume, and position relative to the speaker are important. Other things certainly factor in, but to lesser...
  4. G

Compressing Drums: Compress each track, compress a drum bus, and/or use parallel compression?

Compression and limiting often just pushes everything into discord with the current Integrated Loudness Protocols... Understanding EBU standards, as well as LUFS, goes a long way towards preserving better dynamics, tone, and listening experience in your music. The new standards exist for the...
  5. G

Compressing Drums: Compress each track, compress a drum bus, and/or use parallel compression?

^THIS.^ Not a compression technique or piece of hardware or software in the world that serves as a substitute. Compression is frequently used as a band-aid, and often a detrimental one at that, when a far more effective solution often exists on the path to the desired results. Compression...
  6. G

Gibson sends cease and desist to Kiesel

That is one facet of the topic at hand. Are there a variety of other valid concerns in the bigger picture of the matter? Yes, this thread has plenty examples to indicate that there are. Gotta zoom out a little.
  7. G

Nonsense. Boycotts are temporary peaceful protests intended to bring about necessary change. If Gibson goes out of business it won’t be from a boycott, and either way, there are plenty of other companies building better products at friendlier prices, so positive change will have arrived.
  8. G

We do worry about those other things too. I personally am involved with battling environmental issues right here in my own community, because it’s one world that we all share. It’s all related to the same legal system, and the exact same abuse of power favoring the big companies. Can’t we stand...
  9. G

What constitutes “different” without compromising what’s essential? Basic geometry and guitar ergonomics dictate some essential aspects that Gibson has been apparently granted the rights to own. I seriously think I’m going to buy a Kiesel now, because of how they are standing up against Gibson...
  10. G

Th There are important differences between the two, so thank you for pointing that out. In this case, the end result of legal enforcement is essentially the same, but I edited my post to reflect your correct suggestion. Thank you! :)
  11. G

Ever build a guitar, particularly design and carve a 3x3 headstock? There’s only so much you can do to reasonably deviate from the standard v-shape if you are using conventional tuning machines, while still achieving reasonably straight string pull, and clearance of the tuner buttons past the...
  12. G

Agree 100%... When Gibson = true quality craftsmanship and value, they won’t have to be a bully to hold a dominant market share.
  13. G

Exactly. A world for sale, available to the highest bidder.
  14. G

Totally irrelevant example; no one here is using Gibson’s name or emblem, or any likeness of it... unique branding versus claiming ownership of basic geometry are separate things. Is a round wheel and a rubber tire iconic, or essential? Gibson is grossly stretching the truth of what...
  15. G

Not surprised by it, but STILL after 20 years refusing to back down and accept it. How anyone, especially guitar players, can just accept this ridiculousness over and over again is the part that surprises me. To some of us musicians and human beings, it still means something to stand up against...
  16. G

What kind of guitarist are you?

less lip + more play = more play + less lip Oh well... time for more play and less lip! :D
  17. G

The joy of vintage tube amp ownership

Your story sounds somewhat like my own, right down to the long purchasing hiatus. Found great sounds through tubes many moons ago, but tired of the struggle and expense to keep them performing consistently in proper form. Then I bought a Quilter MicroPro Mach 2 HD about a year ago. Never...
  18. G

Help! woofy/muddy neck 'buckers in Es-335s plague me

No experience with MHS pickups, but maybe you got a dud neck pickup? It can happen.
  19. G

Putting in a 1 meg pot is not the same as diming treble and cutting bass on an amp or pedal... you can’t get back information/tone content that wasn’t there to begin with. That said, it sounds like it could be time to cut your losses get a different pickup, or a different guitar. That’s what...
  20. G

Good advice from Thumpalumpacus on individual pole piece height relative to the pickup body and to the strings... both ways suggested sound different, and either one might do the trick. That’s the easiest thing to try next. You could also try a 1 meg pots on the neck pickup vol and tone, or try...
  21. G

Thicker Wound Strings Improve Rhythm Playing

Go to your local guitar shop and find a decent instrument set up with a standard set of 10’s, strum around on it for a bit, and you’ll know for sure. If it works better for you, problem solved... If it doesn’t do what you hope, spend a half hour with your guitar and a rhythm machine in a...
  22. G

Favorite Guitar Player Who Never Makes a Best Guitarist List

Christopher Thorn and Rogers Stevens. Perhaps my ‘melon’ is ‘blind,’ but I didn’t see either of these guys mentioned yet on this list (or really any other). It’s ‘no rain’ on my parade though...
  23. G

Quilter Tone Block 202 announced today!

Have you tried dialing in the Mach 2 with either the Bright or Scoop Boost on it’s lowest setting? IME, this gives me what I want there in spades- AC30 chime on the Full Q voice, Deluxe Reverb sparkle on the Surf voice. After you turn on the Boost, tweak gain/master, EQ, Hi Cut, and Limiter from...
  24. G

"Dumble sound is just a bassman with a tubescreamer"

Please don’t take that personally; I wasn’t trying to shoot the messenger.! :) Wasn’t trying to ask the question directly of you, I just quoted you to tie in to the discussion context. Lol, I too was relieved by the elimination of the TS from the equation. I just also noticed the contradiction...
  25. G

"Dumble sound is just a bassman with a tubescreamer"

So, HAD got inspired to build a NEW circuit design to recreate the tone of plugging straight into a Bassman? This is entertaining. :)

Trending Topics