Search results

1. S

Dodgy volume pot - fixable?

Ah the comforting voice(s) of experience :bow Utterly comprehensive answer, thanks very much guys, I'll have a look around for this stuff asap and get to work on that pot. Cheers again!
  2. S

Dodgy volume pot - fixable?

Hi folks I am in need of your mighty and admirable expertise! (will flattery get me anywhere? :)) The volume pot on my strat occasionally cuts the sound for brief moments if tapped or touched, and only while at full 'on' position. Does sound like something that can be fixed? e.g. I...
  3. S

Big muff good for leads?

mmmmm yeh that sounds like a great combo. Must get me a toobscreamer
  4. S

Big muff good for leads?

alone? no. not really, I would say... But mixed with other overdrive (ideally amp overdrive, i would say...), it gives an incredible dirty growly noisey biting sound that I fookin love. You know that growl inbetween notes that sounds super aggressive (Brian May comes to mind for the sort of...
  5. S

Strat ground hum... argh!

right, well it seems the best thing for it is to just pull my thumb out and get it properly grounded, copper tape, shielding paint n all that jazz... the Rio Grande has actually gone microphonic, i remembered once i'd put it back in. so that'l have to come out n get replaced or fixed or...
  6. S

yeh, i dont mind that little 60cycle hum in the background, it is quite nice really, just that bloody ground hum, it's so loud! (comparatively) and just so annoying to have to be touching the strings all the time. I'm using two Lace Sensors, which are much much quieter than the Rio Grande single...
  7. S

nice quote. yeh, i hate the fact that no matter how much you hone your bedroom tone, even if you can do that at gig volume, which i can't anymore, nothing close, then you still have little to no real idea of how it will sit in the mix. soooo many delicately perfected settings have to be...
  8. S

hey there chaps, got an annoying ground hum on my strat that won't go away! at some point i'll hopefully get around to doing the old star grounding or whatever it's called, but til then, any ideas about what to look for to help this? it's really damned loud, and of course goes away when i touch...
  9. S

Strat Grounding Question

well, by Blocked, i meant just screwed right down, sorry :¬), so that should be fine. I read my post again, and it's pretty vague and waffly... sorry again! but your first sentence both makes sense and confuses me... all the metal bits linking up to make the ground, yeh, but I thought that a...
  10. S

Buzz Feiten tuning system

wow, this looks incredible... anyone know if there's someone in Scotland who's equipped for it?
  11. S

Strat Grounding Question

" John Phillips, you are proving to be an extremely helpful guy." heh heh, i'll drink to that! i've never heard of this before though, I'm baffled! so in a none-hardtail, you don't need to solder the ground wire to the Claw then? you just... what, raise the back of the bridge, as if it was...
  12. S

Buzz Feiten tuning system

anyone have a link to this system? i'm sure i remember reading it before, but i've lost it...
  13. S

Tuning open strings, pitch changing with pick strength, and intonation...

yeh, i know it should work perfectly in theory, but I'm sure I heard that there was something physical that meant it didn't work exactly... still, i do use it a lot of the time :¬) just wondering if anyone could explain why, and if, it doesn't work properly.
  14. S

yeh, the 10-48s I had were Snake Oil, they were indeed amazing. but so expensive, plus shipping! I think I will try 11s, just give em a shot. don't think I can be arsed tuning down though... and isn't there some reason why the 5th/7th fret harmonic system doesn't work...? that' s wot i heard...
  15. S

hmm, i did think about that for a while, i think it' John Phillips who does that too, but... I'd have to learn the notes all over again! and if I tuned them down to decrease tention, woudn't that increase the original problem of initial pitch variation?
  16. S

yeh... I'm already on 10s tho (10-48s if I can find em), which I love - can't stand 9s, but i can really imagine 11s being hard work. do you get 10.5s...? :¬)
  17. S

As close as they'll go without touching. But they're Lace Sensors, so I understood that was ok? do you think they still have an effect if they are that close? I'll have a mess around tonight...
  18. S

yeh, meant to add that all that was very much over-simplified, to set premises and such rather than literally and chronologically follow my chain of thought on this. obiously, the outcome is that you have to tune to what sounds right, ie not harmonics, but it just seems odd/annoying that it's a...
  19. S

right, I'm a bit puzzled. So the 12th fret harmonic is exactly an octave above the open string. and it's theoretically impossible for it not to be. and it's easier to tune the 12th fret harmonics, but when i tune the guitar that way, it doesnt sound very well in tune at all, so I then have to...
  20. S

Inntonation: How do you know?

hmm, after further investigation this calls for a new thread!
  21. S

Inntonation: How do you know?

what would it mean if your 12 fret harmonic was out of tune with the open string? which, i realise, is theoretically impossible yeh? but i'm sure i've seen it on my strat... old strings? inconsistent tuner?
  22. S

Can anyone recommend a good soldering iron?

... why so? just cos of paying for batteries or what?
  23. S

long technical question for techs!! want to use small amp to drive big amp

what about putting an attenuater in between the amps? might lose some of that "magic", i dunno, something you'd have to try yourself really
  24. S

How to do your own setups.

aha, I see! excellent, will check that soon as I get home! (i have a feeling that there might indeed be a slight gap under the front...) thanks!
  25. S

How to do your own setups.

well, I didn't do anything to the Bridge screws... should I have then? I just screwed the two screws in the claw as far as they would go...

Trending Topics