Search results

1. C

Small Cab for My Fargen MiniPlex?

Thanks Folks. Merry Christmas!
  2. C

Small Cab for My Fargen MiniPlex?

I don't have much experience with this. I had been running my MiniPlex MKII through the speaker input of an old combo, but that amp has been sold. I use this primarily for basement playing & recording. I prefer a low-gain/crunch tone. I don't see spending more than $400-500 on this. I...
  3. C

Practice Drum and Chords machine

Using a Mac or iOS? http://www.irealb.com/ Can't beat it for the price.
  4. C

1-Channel Preamp for Logic Setup?

Thanks for the suggestion. I would do a complete replace of the mbox.There's nothing I don't l like about the Pacifica--I am simply trying to downgrade and raise some funds to buy a guitar.
  5. C

1-Channel Preamp for Logic Setup?

Use: casual home recording--mostly acoustic & electric guitar, bass, and vocal. Lots of options out there and I am not sure where to begin. I currently run through an MBOX (I used to be a ProTools user but have since migrated to Logic Express). I have an A-Designs Pacifica but have it for...
  6. C

Guidance on Buying a Les Paul?

Thanks again for all the great comments. This one in particular is a great roadmap for negotiating the landscape. I hope it helps others. Any comments on how the PUPs differ? Many have the '57 Classics, which I have in my ES335 and absolutely love. Some have the 500T / 496R , which I am not...
  7. C

Thanks for the comments. I understand that I need to play as many as I can, I'm simply trying to make sense out of all the different variations so I have a few places to start. This will mostly be a play-at-home guitar. Playability and tone are most important. I don't need--or want to pay...
  8. C

Been playing as a hobbyist for 25yrs but never owned a Les Paul (or similar) guitar. For some reason, I have recently taken a liking to the tone and am considering adding one to my collection. I have several of the “other bases” covered: Strat, Tele, semi-hollow (ES-335), and hollow (Eastman)...
  9. C

Odd Questions: winter dryness=cracked skin between finger and nail - fix?

When you don't plan on playing for a while: Burt's Bees or Aquaphor. If you're really adventurous, wear gloves for a little while after applying. :stir
  10. C

Logic and MBOX2 Interface?

Any idea what that might be? I saw that the Apogee Duet is $500. Since I have a nice preamp in the Pacifica, I would prefer "compatible but inexpensive" wrt the Logic interface. I don't want to pay for preamps in the interface that I will not be using. Thanks!
  11. C

Logic and MBOX2 Interface?

Home user running PT8 LE with MBOX2 on a new iMac. For various reasons, I'm thinking of moving over to Logic and was wondering if I should consider a different hardware interface. The MBOX2 works fine with Garage Band so I assume it will not be a problem with Logic. I have a nice preamp (A...
  12. C

Can U Buy Instrument Loops for ProTools?

Hi, This may be as stupid question. Sorry. I'm a casual PT user in my home studio. I run it on a Mac. I recently starting playing around with Garage Band. There is a variety of instrument loops available--drums, bass, keys, percussion, etc. It is easy, fast, and fun to create a backing track...
  13. C

Migrating fm PC -> Mac

So if I were to go the Garage Band or Reaper route, what would a decent interface be and how much would I expect to pay? I really don't know where to begin. I have a really nice preamp that I currently plug into my MBOX2.
  14. C

Migrating fm PC -> Mac

It was the LE version. I was looking at Mac prices somewhere (I don't recall where) and it was an adder for about that price--give or take.
  15. C

Migrating fm PC -> Mac

Hmmm--that's good to know about the MBOX and Logic. No--I haven't looked at Logic yet but thanks for the feedback. I have an Apple store by my house and plan to visit soon. All things being equal, I am fine with PT and would be happy to stay with it. However, I wanted to use the computer...
  16. C

Migrating fm PC -> Mac

Hey, I will soon be migrating from a PC to a Mac. I am currently running PT 7.4 with an MBOX2 / USB interface. I am a hobbyist -- not a hard-core PT user. It has worked fine for me but I am not married to PT software. I don't have any money invested in PT plug-ins. The cost to upgrade my PT...
  17. C

A Possibly Stupid Portable Recorder Question

Thanks. I guess what I'm asking about is the ability to overdub. What I'm hearing you say is that you cannot assume a multi-track recorder can overdub. That is the information I was looking for (but not the answer I was hoping for!). :bkw Thanks.
  18. C

A Possibly Stupid Portable Recorder Question

Hi I have a nice ProTools setup in my basement but want to get an easy-to-use portable unit for capturing ideas and making "informal" recordings. I am researching units like the Zoom H2, Tascam DR07, etc. I want to be able to record over myself e.g. rhythm, lead guitar. Just me--no full band...
  19. C

Blues with Brains BWB II by Chuck D'Aloia

--> I can only comment on BWB #1. It downloads as Quicktime file (.mov, I think). I have Adobe Premier Elements and easily converted/burned it to a DVD disk. Not sure if you can do that with Windows Movie Maker (or whatever comes with the Macs).
  20. C

Rack Reverb, and then Some???

Thanks, folks. I don't mind spending a little more if I get "more" in return. ;) Maybe $300-500 range? I have no idea if rack units in that range are not worth the money (similar to, as many say, mic pre's). Having said that, I really don't need a $1K+ unit.
  21. C

Rack Reverb, and then Some???

This may seem like an odd-ball question but here goes... Home studio application: I have most of the effects I need except for reverb. All are pedals. I've been looking for a decent reverb pedal but starting thinking that maybe I should consider a rack-mount unit. I have a rack in my basement...
  22. C

Question about FX Loop

Or you can use a true-bypass footswitch to route to/from the board or directly into your amp.
  23. C

Is 9lbs "Too Heavy" for a Guitar

Now you're really freaking me out.
  24. C

Well, I'm 46yrs, 5'5, and 135lbs so that must put me in the "it's a friggin HEAVY" category. Maybe I should reconsider. On the other hand, 9lbs is only 0.5lbs heavier than my Gibby ES335 and I'm in good shape so I maybe I'm in "splitting hairs" territory. That's why I'm confused. :huh
  25. C

OK, I know this is a subjective question but I wanted to get a few opinions. I am thinking about purchasing a tele (non-Fender brand). It would be a custom thing so I can't play it before-hand. Due to my choice of woods, I've been told it should weigh ~9lbs. I weighed my Strat and ES335. They...

Trending Topics