Search results

1. walterw

K&k pure mini and dimarzio black Angel

having played the same concept built into the new yamaha acoustics, it's certainly a fun party trick to hear reverb coming out of the actual guitar. i see no professional use for it though, either live or recording
  2. walterw

Martin how to vid. Nylon

so you didn't have any trouble with the bridge ties unraveling before you started winding at the headstock? that's what seems like it would be the drawback
  3. walterw

Martin how to vid. Nylon

interesting video, but i gotta say it looks like that order of operations would be a hassle; by doing the bridge wrap but not immediately doing the other end, those bridge wraps are left loose and free to flop around and undo themselves. you can even see in the video how the G wrap keeps...
  4. walterw

Martin how to vid. Nylon

me too, E strings "out" and the middle four "in"; i run the leftover bit at the headstock under the proceeding winds too, that greatly stabilizes the winds and speeds up settling to pitch. as for the bridge i tuck the excess under the next string, but never tried to aim the last few back the...
  5. walterw

K&k pure mini and dimarzio black Angel

looks like the tonewood gadget only has one input, so not really. you'd have to have another onboard preamp to buffer and blend the magnetic and the K&K, then run all that into the tonewood gadget. man that's a lot of electronic junk to have inside your acoustic :/
  6. walterw

Question about Es 330/335 wiring harnesses

?? that's not an "upgrade" at all! it's the same quality as what's in there now, maybe even not as good
  7. walterw

A question about neck relief

what?? no! :oops: oh, ok! :) i'm not convinced that there's really zero relief change past the 12th but it's at least very minimal, so there's a logic to it. hell it might be a good exercise to try this for people who are having a hard time "seeing" the relief vs saddle height relationship in...
  8. walterw

Nut filing. 1st fret action

nah, you should stick with that metric. do @Alan Wolf's trick of fretting the first and looking over the second fret, that's what your "limit" looks like for a given amount of relief. the open string can't be lower than that and in fact needs to be ever so slightly higher. if something seems...
  9. walterw

coated strings vs frets

you have a point and i have to agree, elixir plains indeed don't go black and rusty like others do; there is something else going on
  10. walterw

Favorite Snare drum?

favorite snare? the one the drummer doesn't start whacking on until after my IEMs are in
  11. walterw

Help! Guitar intonation doubts! Need advice

are you sure? how are you measuring nut height? has the nut been filed out by a pro? if not, it's pretty much a guarantee that from the factory it's way too high, forcing the first three or four frets sharp (along with making the whole guitar play worse)
  12. walterw

Help! Guitar intonation doubts! Need advice

yep, there's your trouble! go to the bridge pickup fully bright, fret as hard as you normally fret and hit as hard as you normally hit, then intonate to that since it's how you actually play. you'll probably notice that you're a bit sharper than before.
  13. walterw

sure, of course. it's just that with excess relief on that side you might not be able to get it quite as low without starting to buzz in the middle of the neck, the frets basically curve back up into the middle of the string again and interfere sooner.
  14. walterw

yeah, that doesn't work; you can't make up for too much relief with saddle height adjustments.
  15. walterw

Your favorite Tele Neck pickup?

a strat pickup :) if you wanted to keep it true "tele" form factor, the key detail is the cover; vintage teles had brass covered neck pickups, that brass served to deliberately mellow out the tone of the neck pickup. many modern makers use nickel silver covers (like gibson humbuckers have) that...
  16. walterw

Fishman Fluence Question

as opposed to a blues or country or R&B guitar? headless locking trem fanned fret science experiment guitar = metal :) (OK, maybe the more shreddy-proggy wings of metal but still)
  17. walterw

and thanks guys
  18. walterw

OK now it all makes sense! yeah, you're supposed to be considering the bottom of the string vs its distance from the fret for all these measurements, meaning the string's thickness is not a factor
  19. walterw

Original abr-1 saddles... who's got 'em?

well unless you proceed to deepen the notch in the bridge body so the screw head can sit lower enough to allow the saddle to "land" properly
  20. walterw

aanyway... the LP is OK (not great) but the other two have way too much bow, especially with holding down the string at the 15th. try straightening them all down to more like .007" (whichever E gets there first ;)) it's a little surprising that all three of yours are showing more relief under...
  21. walterw

yep, you lost us :)
  22. walterw

yeah i think you lost the room with that one, what do you mean here?
  23. walterw

Original abr-1 saddles... who's got 'em?

i've seen this before, you get saddles where the little side "wings" don't rest on the bridge and the string pressure is actually taken by the screw, allowing the saddle to rattle back and forth.
  24. walterw

Repairable?

a squier neck with the frets ripped out is worth essentially zero dollars if you want to learn fretwork and you can get it for essentially zero dollars then go for it
  25. walterw

Truss rod/neck with a mind of it's own

+1, sometimes you can adjust a rod, nothing happens, then you just push the neck in the direction you want it to go and it will go there

Trending Topics