Search results

1. 6

Amp volume fluctuating

I had a similar problem with a Orange Rocker 30. Changed the power tubes and fixed the problem. Not saying its your issue,, but like others have mentioned,, its a good place to start and it could probably use a fresh set anyways. If its not the issue then you got a set on standby and haven't...
  2. 6

/13 LDW 17-39 re-tube question

They said JJ/Tesla on the bottom of the tube , but were re-branded "ARS"? I am gonna get a bias meeter. What do you think of the bias king?
  3. 6

I installed the tubes tonight. Seems to be working just fine. The crackling problems are gone. I cant stand the crappy stickers GT puts on the tubes instead of paint now. The things smell like pooh when burning in. I did change all the preamp tubes to EH 12ax7. It made the OD smoother and less...
  4. 6

swapping Super Reverb output tranny

This is not a technical solution but a suggestion,,,, You might be playing the wrong amp for you. I had a Super that was awesome tonally. But the issues were the same. I finally sold it and got another amp that fit the description of what I wanted, not heavily modify and devalue some thing to...
  5. 6

I took the amp apart tonight and it appears to be exactly what you said. It is class A cathode bias in half power mode, and fixed bias in AB1 mode. I was pretty shocked to see how simple the circut looked. It is very clean and extremly well built. I'm gonna go ahead and get the GT tubes and see...
  6. 6

I emailed them today. I will call tomorrow if I dont just take it apart tonight to see for myself. I wanna re-tube it obviously,I know this isnt propper, but if I get the same bell curve number 4 GT tubes should I be okay without a rebias until I get it set properly? I know the MA value is...
  7. 6

Thats what I thought as well,, but there is no a/ab1 selection just full/half power. Leads me to belive that its fixed not cathode. I dont really want to take it apart to see but it looks like I'm gonna have to. I was hoping somebody knew for sure.
  8. 6

Does anyone know if these amps are fixed or cathode bias ? I am guessing fixed.
  9. 6

Paper in Oil Caps???

Just finished playing thru the amp I installed the PIO caps in. Sounds more compressed. Not nearly as open or harmonic as before. The bass is allot tighter, which is nice but the high end (I'm not a high treble guy) is brighter, but in a worse way. My overdrive is happier, I like that side of...
  10. 6

Paper in Oil Caps???

Thanks for the advice guy's. I am going to get some and give it a shot. As for what they will be replacing.. I have weber brand "generic" poly caps. I am guessing this will be a big improvemnet.
  11. 6

Paper in Oil Caps???

Are they worth the money to upgrade my amp with them, or just "snake oil". :rimshot
  12. 6

Orange Rocker 30 trouble

I'm throwing in the towel and shipping it to Orange. I will tell you what they say. I want them to install MM tranny's and revive her. Thank you everyone for all of your wonderful help and suggestions!!!:aok
  13. 6

Orange Rocker 30 trouble

I disconected the white wire and it still blows the ht fuse,and cant get any kind of reading out of the OT. I actually think that its a combination of OT and caps/rectifier diodes. A replacement from mercury mag is $175. Orange wants $45 a hour plus parts and shipping. B.O.H.I.C.A. (bend over...
  14. 6

Orange Rocker 30 trouble

How can I verify that the OT is blown? When I put the meter on ohms and go from the speaker outputs to the power tube I get a small jump,but it dies down quickly. I'm not sure this is the right way to check. Orange wont give you any info over the phone, I cant say I blame them. This amp isnt...
  15. 6

Orange Rocker 30 trouble

With no tubes the fuse blows. I didnt go any further. Didnt try it with single tube at a time. I got 1 fuse left.
  16. 6

Orange Rocker 30 trouble

All internal fuses are good. I figured out that everytime i go from standby to on, it blows the ht fuse.
  17. 6

Orange Rocker 30 trouble

I replaced the ht fuse allready, it was the one that actully blew. doesn't look as if there is any arcing on the socket. Wich resistors are the screen resistors?
  18. 6

Orange Rocker 30 trouble

Got a rocker 30 head. Turned it on last night and had ablue flash from the back wich resulted in a power tube being fried and a fuse. Replace tubes/fuse's,now everything comes on but no sound from the amp. I took the amp apart and dont see any signs of fried parts. Is the output tranny blown?
  19. 6

Two Stroke Help!!

Thats what I thought. I found the problem,,,,and yes it was freakin stupid. I didnt connect all of the ground termials together on the strip. Once that was done,,,Let there ROCK!!! Skipm45,and all others, Thank you sooo much for your thought and for trying to help me out. I really appreciate it.
  20. 6

Two Stroke Help!!

Reads nothing. I think I might have gotten a skunky OT? I'm gonna take it to a dude who knows a heck of a lot more than me.
  21. 6

Two Stroke Help!!

I have been checking voltage readings. The rectifier is getting something like 260v @ the 6 pin. I cant even get a reading of any type of power for grid pin 4 on the output tubes. It seems like no power is even going through the circut. The only place I find power is at the rectifier and the 6v...
  22. 6

Two Stroke Help!!

I built a Two Stroke amp this week. The one in Dave Hunters book on guitar amps. It is the one being sold by Victoria amps as well. I have Sixtuplet checked the wiring and cant find where I went wrong. It comes on and every tube lights up. I can hear a very faint hissing sound coming from my...
  23. 6

6CA7 to EL34

I have a Orange rocker 30 that has 6ca7 tubes and want to know about replacements. It is cathode bias and I was curious about a good replacement tube. EL-34,KT-77,ect.. does anyone have any advice?
  24. 6

Resistors Question???

Simplicity. 1 EL34, 1 12ax7, tube rect. single end class a, 1-12" speaker. Tone, volume. Its kinda 5e3'ish. I just wanna experiment with different tubes and speakers. Taking a new approach to a old idea. I hope it turns out good. I would like to live thru it as well.I like your stuff. Looks...