• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Search results

1. Jim Roseberry

What is the preferred interface type for an audio interface for a Windows PC in 2021?

"Overkill" depends on your expectation/application. If you want to achieve sub 4ms round-trip latency, you're not going to do that via a USB audio interface. ie: The best Thunderbolt audio interfaces yield sub 1ms total round-trip latency. That's simply not possible with a USB audio interface.
  2. Jim Roseberry

What is the preferred interface type for an audio interface for a Windows PC in 2021?

FWIW, I've been building custom PC DAWs professionally for 25+ years. When it comes to Thunderbolt, you need to know all the details (don't leave anything to chance). Thunderbolt under Windows 10 is absolutely rock-solid. You can't add a PCIe Thunderbolt controller to just any PC: Motherboard...
  3. Jim Roseberry

I've been running Thunderbolt audio interfaces under Win10 for a long while. (Apollo-8, Fireface UFX+, Quantum, and Orion Studio Synergy Core) If you know what you're doing (all details tended to), Thunderbolt audio interfaces are rock-solid under Win10.
  4. Jim Roseberry

The best USB audio interfaces yield ~4ms total round-trip latency The best Thunderbolt audio interfaces yield sub 1ms total round-trip latency Both cases are subject to the machine being able to sustain the load (glitch-free). If you're not pushing the limits of ultra low latency audio...
  5. Jim Roseberry

I've always hated PRS... but I think it might be time for one?

PRS would be a good fit... as would a Suhr Modern Pro. The Paul's Guitar suggestion above is a good one. Though the construction is significantly different, (to my ears) it can sound surprisingly similar to a LP.
  6. Jim Roseberry

So the Apple M1 is already about to be upstaged by the M1X. Would the 32 cores do any better with Logic?

For a typical DAW user, that's true. For more of a power-user scenario (composer running large scoring templates, someone pushing the limits of ultra low latency performance), the M1 (currently) isn't that CPU. Apple doesn't market the M1 Mini for "workstation" type power-users. That's not the...
  7. Jim Roseberry

Should I sell my VHT Sig:X and get a Mesa Badlander ????

Badlander crunch tones are (IMO) the high-point of that amp. Onboard Cabclone IR works well. I just couldn't stand the loud fan.
  8. Jim Roseberry

Can I record two toslink devices at once? UA OX and Kemper

If you record a DI guitar signal, you could "re-amp" that signal thru both Kemper and OX (one at a time) via S/PDIF.
  9. Jim Roseberry

Shock Mount Alternative

If you're recording for a podcast, you're dealing with speech. When mixing down, you can use a high-pass filter to remove any rumble/hum etc that resides in the low-end. Won't have any negative effect on the speech you've captured.
  10. Jim Roseberry

Can I record two toslink devices at once? UA OX and Kemper

Merging two or more digital audio streams (each on separate digital clocks) will result in audio with pops/ticks. Even if you had an interface with two S/PDIF inputs, all three devices would have to be using the same digital clock source. One device would have to be the Master... and the other...
  11. Jim Roseberry

Is it worth waiting for a Thunderbolt interface?

If you're monitoring directly off the mixer (Model 12), then you wouldn't hear the latency. If you're monitoring via software, that's where you'll still experience latency. Tascam aren't known for extremely low latency drivers.
  12. Jim Roseberry

Moog Grandmother vs. Behringer Poly D

I'm of the same opinion. Love the Poly-D
  13. Jim Roseberry

Quad Cortex - Sweetwater Preorders

To clarify, Sweetwater does not... and did not have any Quad Cortex units available for immediate purchase. I just spoke with Stewart Hisey... and got in the cue. If you call today, they're estimating that you'll receive a QC sometime ~ mid October.
  14. Jim Roseberry

Revv D20 vs G20 clean tone?

I’ve had both. I prefer the D20 cleans. G20 cleans are a bit clinical (to my ears). D20, you can set the amount of gain/dirt for your "clean" tone. More dynamic sounding (to my ears).
  15. Jim Roseberry

Kontakt Alternative That Plays Non-NI, 3rd Party Libraries

If you need Kontakt (for specific libraries), there isn't an alternative. You might find a used copy... or catch a sale. Get Komplete (not much more than Kontakt alone). Much better value as it includes several virtual instruments and content (sample libraries).
  16. Jim Roseberry

Why am I so burnt about not getting my COA?

If it's a high-end guitar, you need the COA to maintain resale value. I've sold guitars to GC/etc. Each time, they want the COA.
  17. Jim Roseberry

Alright, give me your estimates!

Both bands sounded great. Talked to Bill's wife for just a split second. We were joking about a drum stick. I didn't think their stage hand was going to give it to her (I didn't know that she was with the band). IIRC, Joey was his name. He was a cool guy.
  18. Jim Roseberry

Alright, give me your estimates!

Did some load-in for Fire House and Jack Russell's Great White (this past weekend). All guitarists were using Marshall or 5150 heads into Marshall 4x12 cabs (provided by backline company). Most of the players were also using traditional pedals (boost/delay/etc). One was using an FM3.
  19. Jim Roseberry

Helix LT through studio monitors... I'm underwhelmed. *SOLVED*

With the 4.5" woofer, the monitors only spec down to 70Hz. I'm guessing they're not flat down at 70Hz... meaning the OP isn't getting any real sense of the bottom-end.
  20. Jim Roseberry

Simplifier DLX Question

There's no onboard switch to strictly dedicate an output to an Amp channel.
  21. Jim Roseberry

Simplifier DLX Question

I'm using both Left and Right outputs. If you're using the Simplifier DLX for recording, you could set the left and right Cab/Power-Amp sections up independently (one for each of the two Amp channels). You could then just mute the undesired output.
  22. Jim Roseberry

Simplifier DLX Question

FWIW, With the Simplifier DLX I have here... I have it set to "Mono Input, Two-Channel Stereo Amp"... as pictured/explained in the manual. At first, I thought it was using a separate Cab for each of the two amp channels. That's not the case. The selected amp channel (A or B) runs into both...
  23. Jim Roseberry

What's the best way to record decent sounding bass?

Wanted to clarify some details... as some folks will be confused. Latency in a DAW has but three sources: Audio Interface Latent Plugins Additional Buffering by the DAW (ie: Presonus Studio One has "Dropout Protection" Audio Interface At a given buffer size, the Audio Interface latency is...
  24. Jim Roseberry

Simplifier DLX Question

Switch to either amp channel A or channel B, the signal (from either channel) goes thru both Left and Right Cab Sim/Power Amp sections. Reverb also goes to both Left and Right outputs. If the OP is recording, he can isolate one output (where the Cab Sim/Power Amp section is tweaked for that...
Top Bottom