• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Search results

1. W

Eric Johnson RW Strat in Sherwood Green?

I finished a strat build recently, actually it's pretty much a higher end version of one I did a while ago; 1-piece Lightweight Alder body vs 2, quarter sawn roasted Maple neck w/bound dark rosewood fretboard, etc. Both were based off of an Eric Johnson RW Strat that as far as I can tell...
  2. W

PRS style replacement tremolo for 6-screw Fender strat??

I'm currently planning out Strat build . While I've built (for myself) several Strats over the years, I'm going into somewhat uncharted territory. All the others were vintage clones or modified clones. This time I'm building a workhorse in that"Jack of all trades/ master of none" area. This one...
  3. W

Rare story of stolen guitar that was recovered, &a gadget thar everyone should have.

So today I worked a rare Monday that I did some guitar work out of my home. Normally it's out of the shop, and I have at least a few days notice on all jobs. I got a call a week ago from a touring musician from Boston that is one of my favorite clients. He's very adventurous, and trusting...
  4. W

Any needles hanging in a haystack: Les Paul Copper AND Goldtop owners?

So a customer did some old school bartering with me for some work on his 2 guitars and an amp. I got an 81 (82?) Greco Les Paul out of it. Nice guitars, I've had a few of their ilk before, except for s couple sometimes feeling like a gatling gun on my shoulder, I finD them to be probably the...
  5. W

Thoughts on Mojotone cabinets

I have a newly aquired Marshall 2525H 20W JCM800 Silver Jubilee head (unbelievable amp BTW, I currently am gigging heavy again w/2 bands:1 that's doing mostly British blues/Joe Bonamassa /fusion-ish, the other doing mostly originals, but falling in line with 80s US college rock/jangly Brit pop...
  6. W

Suggestions for neck pickup for PRS CE22

I'm replacing the stock neck positron pickup in a PRS CE22 (mahogany back/maple cap body, not alder). The one on it is hotter than I like. I've owned,and worked on scores of Custom 22s,and owned a CE22 for a brief time years ago (kept it stock, didn't play it that much and sold it relatively...
  7. W

Best PAFS for SG to balance the natural tone of mahogany

I'll give a back story to you'll know what I'm currently using and what I'm looking for: I've worked on guitars, amps and pedals for years. I own several guitars, my main ones; custom built Strat copy, ES345 w/Lollar Imperial low winds, ES339 w/Lollar Imperials reg/ PRS SC250 w/ Wagner...
  8. W

Marshall-in-a-box that matches best with AC30

So I'm going to be filling in for another player for a couple months while he goes off for surgery. Due to the logistical constraints as well as the band's sound, I'm going to be playing strictly through a Vox AC30. I've never been a Vox fan in particular, nothing wrong with them, the tone just...
  9. W

Looking for recommendations for a point to point Fender Brownface kits

I built a couple BYOC amp kits, YEARS ago (BYOC). I had been working guitars out of a shop, and pedals and amps on the side (mostly my own and friends early on, mostly doing Fritz mods and modifying tone stacks). I wanted to try building, decided a kit was the best way to go for the first...
  10. W

Rio Grande Tallboys

Several years ago, I had my apt broken into. Many expensive guitars were stolen; Fender Am Deluxe and custom shop Strat, D-28 & 000-28, a Les Paul and I believe there was aPRS. This was the second break in I had experienced (same city, different places), the only common link was that in both...
  11. W

Anybody use the new MXR Reverb?

I've been contemplating getting a reverb pedal. Most of my amps have analog spring reverb w/tank, a couple others have digital, blah. I was looking at spring units live the Spaceman Orion, such utilize true analog spring (MOD I believe). Then I thought, hell I have enough spring reverb, maybe...
  12. W

Who makes pots with detents already in them?

* This post actually came from another thread i have to regarding replacement PAFs for a PRS SC245. I worked at a shop that was a distributor for Fralin pickups years ago (no longer is), so i have a few sets of the Pure PAFs with varying outputs. So anytime I'm thinking of changing humbuckers...
  13. W

Pickup height; how do YOU like yours?

I've only just recently started to come back onto the different forums that i used to be on daily. I'm sure that there is a glut of threads about pickup height, and I'm not trying to start and negative threads. Now the preamble is over; How do you prefer your pickups adjusted? I'm not talking...
  14. W

Paf Replacement For Prs Se Bernie Marsden

So, I picked up a PRS SE BERNIE Marsden a while back. I'm mainly a Strat guy, but have a PRS McCarty double cut SC250 that have a Wagner Darkburst in the neck and Godwood in the bridge. A Les Paul Traditional with Fralin Pure PAFs, PRS CE Custom 22(, whatever you call the one with mahogany...
  15. W

Shaving treble side shoulder on PRS wide fat neck

Has anyone who do irreversible mods( cutting or removing wood as opposed to just wiring and hardware changes) had any experience with shaving the treble side shoulder on a US built PRS wide fat neck? I've done it twice in the past on other instruments. The first was a Start build. I ordered a...
  16. W

Correct sizing for replacement 2 point pivot tremolo for 50's/60's classic c players Strat

I've been looking for a budget friendly Strat.I currently have an Eric Johnson RW Start, plus am building one now (scored a 1-piece EXTREMELY light weight ash body, ordering a Warmoth vin/mod Wolfgang profile, 1/4 sawn maple neck with dark Indian rosewood, Callaham tremolo, etc.) I've found the...
  17. W

Where to place my "Dumble in a box" in my chain WITH the ethos clean

So I ordered an Ethos Clean Fusion. I've owned a regular Ethos overdrive that I foolishly sold. I have a Zendrive, but use that specifically with single could t into my Fender amps. I've been using a Simble Overdrive much more, I find it closer to what the Ethos gave me, and the Zendrive I find...
  18. W

my shock to find a small solid state Peavey amp; that actually sounds REALLY good

I remember my first electric guitar and amp. I was 12 years old, Christmas 1988. It was one of those "electric guitar starter packs." You know the ones back then (Gen X-exrs at least, the ones you buy are now are practically Custom shop quality compared to what your money got you back then), an...
  19. W

am I alone in thinking that Gibson's TP9 tailpiece is garbage?

So I did a trade on a lark for an Epi BB KING LUCILLE. I don't really know why, it just kind of reminded me of a cross between am old MIJ Sheraton and a 345 I've owned. This is sm abject lesson on why tough should play something before you buy/trade for it x at least for 15; minutes because...
  20. W

what to do with a free B52 AT212?

So a friend of mine offered to give me her cousin's B52 AT212. She fiddles around with his Strat and small amp (he died a year ago and she needs the room and knows I can repaIr basic pRoblems). But from what I heard in sound clips, the tone is uNinspiring, andb the gain, as well as the wattage...
  21. W

girlfriend went Gibson ES crazy this week, and I benefit

At heart I'm a Strat guy always have. Heavy (ish) strings, standard tuning. I always liked the fight they give me to get the tones I want. Gibson always seemed like they have up the goods to easily with the shorter neck. Like the hot girl in the bar you picked up and brought home within a half...
  22. W

Tonebone Plexitube ch 2 switching issue

So i haven't opened up the pedal,(except the first night to take a look inside), but im having an issue with channel 2. So channel 1 is playing fine, than i hit channel 2 and there is a serious volume drop; you can hear it, its heavily distorted, but the volume does nothing. If i click the...
  23. W

Which Dimarzio VV for middle position?

So h the Dimarzio Virtual Vintage alnico II Area pickups have become my go to, not only got for myself, but for customers who want a great pickup, but that's also noiseless, not a simple endevor. I've used all of them in all positions, but I'm such with what to do in this instance. I just...
  24. W

What ODs are you currently using? How? Why?

So I jumped around different overdrive pedals for years and years, I probably only a grand total of 24, 25 of them. The Mesa Biggie TA15 were the only amplifier I had that ib used its own gain as the distortion, all my others have the "gain "channel set for med-low dirt that's pushed by pedals...
  25. W

How to increase the longevity of your frets

On a side note regarding corrosion with nickel. I was an account executive for a jewelry cleaning product manufacturer for a couple years. We were known for the jars of cleaner people soak rings and such in but we also manufactured polishing cloths; they came as either gold, or silver polishing...
Top Bottom