• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Search results

1. Pete Cage

The VI-Kings take on a Byrds classic

The Byrds insisted it was not about drugs. What else could they say? In early 1966, most bands were still wearing coats and ties. But years later, Crosby said, "Of course it was a drug song; we were stoned when we wrote it." Some refer to it as the first psychedelic song. Fusing Eastern and...
  2. Pete Cage

A holiday classic?

I've had ideas for this one rattling around in my head for at least 10 years. Finally found some spare time to bash it out. Enjoy, warts and all.
  3. Pete Cage

A Byrds classic by the VI-Kings

Well, actually the "Thri-Kings;" there are only three of us on this one...
  4. Pete Cage

What are you working on?

Since no one is gigging right now, repair work has slowed down here in the shop. I've been taking advantage of the extra bandwidth by unearthing some projects and plans that have been on the back burner for a while (along with some much-needed cleaning and organizing.) It has been a shock to...
  5. Pete Cage

Damascus, MD, March 20-21: VI-Kings' Weekend of 100 Songs

The VI-Kings return to The Music Café in Damascus on March 20th and 21st for another episode of The Weekend of 100 Songs. That’s right: 50 songs on Friday, followed by 50 different songs on Saturday. We’ll be dusting off a wide assortment of selections from our 160-song catalog of 1960s...
  6. Pete Cage

Silver Spring, MD, February 22nd. VI-Kings at Rosensteel Hall

Last November we were taken by surprise when Villain & Saint closed its doors, cancelling our scheduled show. We scrambled to find an alternate venue, and were delighted to find that Rosensteel Hall could accommodate us. Best of all, it turned out to be a wonderful venue. So we’re going back...
  7. Pete Cage

Another projector amp

This was a fun personal project: It's a U. S. Navy projector/narration amplifier, date stamped 1950, built battle-tough and probably never used. A friend picked it up at a gov't surplus auction around 1981, and it sat on his shelf for many years. We were talking about some of the recent...
  8. Pete Cage

Rockville, MD, Sep. 27: GoodFellas and Friends at I Heart Radio

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the release of the Abbey Road LP, GoodFellas and Friends will be performing the album in its entirety at the I Heart Radio performance space in Rockville, MD on Friday, September 27th. Details here...
  9. Pete Cage

Damascus, MD, Sept. 20-21 VI-Kings at The Music Cafe

On Friday and Saturday, September 20-21, The VI-Kings will drop A HUNDRED songs at The Music Cafe in Damascus, MD, including selections from our extensive catalog as well as several new additions. And the marvelous Annie Sidley is back! There’s still time to secure a seat, so call now for...
  10. Pete Cage

Damascus, MD; Saturday, August 3: A tribute to The Beatles

On Saturday, August 3, I Feel Fine will return to The Music Cafe in Damascus, MD for an evening of Beatles music. We'll be presenting songs from 1963 through 1966, including hit tunes as well as B-sides and deep album cuts. Come join us, dance and sing along, and enjoy some of the finest pop...
  11. Pete Cage

Currently on the bench

From an old Plush Royal 1060-S. Did Mullard have a factory in Ireland? :D
  12. Pete Cage

Germantown, MD; Saturday, July 13. VI-Kings at Black Rock

The VI-Kings are thrilled to have been chosen to perform at the Black Rock Summer Concert Series on Saturday 7/13 in Germantown, MD at 7:00 PM. It's a free outdoor show, so bring your lawn chairs for a great night of music from the 1960s...
  13. Pete Cage

Rockville, MD, June 14th. VI-Kings at AMP by Strathmore

On Friday, June 14th, the VI-Kings will be returning to one of the finest music venues in town: AMP by Strathmore in Rockville, MD (by Pike and Rose.) It’s a great-sounding room, the food is good, and we’ll be playing the ‘60s hits and deep cuts you’ve come to expect. A splendid time is...
  14. Pete Cage

Vienna, VA, Friday, May 24th: VI-Kings at Jammin' Java

The VI-Kings will be appearing at Jammin' Java in Vienna, VA on Friday 5/24 at 8:00pm. It's a fun concert-type venue with great sound and lights. Plenty of table seating. We'll be adding TEN new songs to our catalog of 1960s music, ranging from Simon & Garfunkel, The Kinks, Elvis, James...
  15. Pete Cage

Damascus, MD, Saturday, May 11: A Tribute to The Beatles

Join us at The Music Cafe in Damascus, MD on Saturday, May 11th for an evening of Beatles music. The Cafe is a great-sounding room, and a wonderful, intimate environment for listening and socializing. We plan to explore at least 50 selections, from the Please Please Me LP through Revolver...
  16. Pete Cage

Best serial number ever?

On the bench right now: Original-owner 1969 Marshall Super Lead. Could there be a better serial number?
  17. Pete Cage

Washington, DC, April 2: VI-Kings at the Cherry Blossom Festival

The VI-Kings are excited to have been chosen to play for the National Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington, DC this year. Catch us on the ANA Stage, located at 1501 Maine Avenue, SW, overlooking the Tidal Basin, between 11:45 and 12:30 PM on Tuesday, April 2nd.
  18. Pete Cage

Damascus, MD, March 15 & 16; VI-Kings at The Music Cafe

The VI-Kings are pleased to announce our second "Weekend of 100 songs" at the marvelous Music Café in Damascus, MD on Friday & Saturday nights, March 15 & 16, 2019, from 8 to 11 PM. Just 20 minutes from the DC Beltway, The Music Café is one of the most intimate venues we have played. You’ll...
  19. Pete Cage

Fort DuPont Park, Washington DC: VI-Kings at RnR Marathon March 9th

The VI-Kings will be appearing in the early morning of March 9th at Fort DuPont Park in Washington DC for the Rock and Roll Marathon. We'll be alternating sets with our friends The Rockits on the same stage. The ‘Kings will be playing 9:30-10:30 AM and then again from 11:30-12:30 or so. If you...
  20. Pete Cage

Bethesda, MD, Saturday, February 16. VI-Kings at Villain & Saint

The mission of The VI-Kings is to keep the great music of the 1960s alive. We'll be back in Bethesda at Villain and Saint on Sat 2/16, and we'd love to see you. Tix at villainandsaint.com. $10 cover. It's a fun and very casual place. We've got great new stuff to unleash as well...
  21. Pete Cage

Washington, DC, November 10th VI-Kings at Hamilton Loft

Are you a night owl? The VI-Kings are playing music from the 1960s at The Hamilton Loft on Saturday, November 10th from... wait for it... 10:30 PM to 1:30AM. NO COVER. The Loft is a fun, small, happening bar upstairs from The Hamilton at 600 14th St. in downtown DC at the corner of 14th and F...
  22. Pete Cage

Damascus, MD, Oct. 19 & 20: VI-Kings at The Music Cafe

The VI-Kings announce "THE WEEKEND OF 100 SONGS!" We are appearing at the marvelous Music Cafe in Damascus, MD on both Friday Oct 19th and Sat Oct 20th for two entirely different nights of great music from the 1960s. We won't repeat a song. Make your plans now, as we've sold out this place the...
  23. Pete Cage

Falls Church, VA, VI-Kings at JV's, Saturday, September 15

The VI-Kings return to JVs in Falls Church this Saturday, 9/15, at 8:45 PM. Our great friends Carol Gaylor & The Bee Charmers open the show from 4:00 - 7:30 PM at this wonderful music bar. JV's has been featuring local musical talent for SEVENTY YEARS! We intend to play over 60 songs from the...
  24. Pete Cage

Why I don't do topside filter cap swaps on BF Fenders

I've lost track of how many times I've seen this over the decades. It showed up today, so I snapped a photo. Vibration wears through the tinning on the underground wiring, and then the copper starts to corrode. Eventually it gets thin enough to heat, and then melt, sometimes arcing for a...
  25. Pete Cage

An Extraordinary London Adventure

Last month I was fortunate to go on the trip of a lifetime, and I thought that some of you might appreciate the story. You can read about it here: https://cageamps.wordpress.com/2018/09/04/magical-mystery-tour/ Enjoy!
Top Bottom