• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Search results

1. Tito83

Need help with student not being able to follow any rhythm at all

Last lesson we kept it simple, just feeling the pulse and he seems to be slowly getting it. Tried drums and strumming patterns while making him tap the pulse. Lesson went great, in fact he just sent me a recording of him tapping over a couple of tunes to check if he was doing it right and aside...
  2. Tito83

After trying common strumming patterns and those songs, that's what I did. As an exercise I said he should count to 4 and tap on 1, then 2, 3 and 4 while counting. After that 2 taps, on 1 and 2, 1 and 3, etc. I encouraged him to try moving from tap to strumming a single chord on the guitar to...
  3. Tito83

18 I tried Satisfaction and RHCP's Otherside and couldn't get him to follow. I did try making him follow the beat on tunes on a few different tempos and he had a hard time. Maybe I'll insist a bit more. Didn't try using drum beats instead of the metronome, will try it.
  4. Tito83

So, I first tried basic strumming patterns like I do with everyone, he didn't get it. Tried simpler patterns, he could not follow. So I went to the very basic. Count to 4 and strumming on 1 and 3 and he just can't do it steadly. Tried metronome slow-ish to dead slow, he can't do it. Gave him an...
  5. Tito83

Why does my guitar intonation sound horrendous? [Audio & Reference Included]

I'm with @Guitardave, I think if you tune your guitar properly, intonation becomes a problem less important than your actuall technique - not that's not important though. The tip about the left hand is good, you need to make sure the notes are ringing out when you press the chords, but I'm...
  6. Tito83

Bryan Baker doing some of the most inpiring playing I've heard in a while...

Damn. It's short, playing over darn simple G vamp, but damn... The lyricism, the pocket, just absolutely beautiful. And that's exactly what he's talking about in the video. Will spend the day transcribing the stuff from this video, will definetily need a lot longer to get even close to the feel...
  7. Tito83

music theory illiterate. most basic question about modes and key

Not exclusion, but everything together makes the music, I don't get why isolate any instrument or group. The chords could work either way, the main melody is in D. Only a guitar player would ever state the song is in G because the chords might suggest G or that the solo is in D. It would be...
  8. Tito83

If I played the chords by itself I could hear it in G. But why wouldn't you focus on the main melody to determine the key?
  9. Tito83

Chords can either either way, ending solo is in G. But the main vocal melody is in D. The song is in D. Solo forces the change and to me it's more a mistake than a conscious artistic choice.
  10. Tito83

Rock vs Jazz.

Won't disagree. When you say Jazz is better than Rock, you're using a given set of criteria you feel it's important. Great. But let's not miss that they are important to you. You act like they are universal, they are not. When I enter any competition, adimition test, whatever, I agree to the...
  11. Tito83

Rock vs Jazz.

There's no arguing you think you're being honest. That's very clear. You're just falling short trying to prove whatever you say is actually a fact. You not being able to tell appart your opinion from fact tells both appart tells me a lot more about you than about the topic being discussed.
  12. Tito83

Rock vs Jazz.

Snob much?
  13. Tito83

Rock vs Jazz.

For you this might be silly, because you're using your own standard to judge that and your own standard puts George Benson as the epitome of guitar playing. How could you objectivelly argue with someone that said to you their favorite guitar player was Albert Collins? How would you...
  14. Tito83

Rock vs Jazz.

You can measure a bike and a bus using meters or feet. One will always be bigger than the other. Objective. Which method of transportation is better? Different people will give different reasons, both valid, making two different standards... They might agree or not. Does not invalidate either...
  15. Tito83

Rock vs Jazz.

This gotta be a language thing. When I say "you" I mean "anyone". It's very weird to me I have to point this out. I'm not saying it isn't useful. But it's like SAT's. The fact someone gets a better grade DOES NOT mean they are objectively smarter or better at math or english. It just doesn't...
  16. Tito83

Rock vs Jazz.

Everytime someone says something that puts you on the spot you tell the person this was already adressed, "go read the thread", "go to post #1". Boring. Please explain where's my mistake. You don't want to answer? Fine, you don't need to reply then. Again. Subjective standard. There are...
  17. Tito83

Rock vs Jazz.

Yes, it is. The fact you created a standard DOEST NOT mean the asssesment based on it is objective, because the standard itself is subjective. Which is the same mistake in Tag's reasoning.
  18. Tito83

Which Phrygian Dominant chords are these?

Keep A root going and play around Bb A and Gm triads. Bb/A 6 6 7 8 0 X A 5 5 6 7 0 X Gm/A 3 3 3 5 0 X It should get you in the ball park. The first chord sounds like the Bb/A going to A. Somewhere he hits a G which you can get with the Gm.
  19. Tito83

Rock vs Jazz.

Increase your vocabulary is always a good thing... Going to jazz is not the only way to do it. One could go over a lifetime with Rock alone, just think about it for a second. YOU don't want to do it? YOU think it's boring? That's all you, nothing to do with rock or jazz being one thing or the...
  20. Tito83

Rock vs Jazz.

He could do more - sure. Is that better? The more chords, the more rhythm complexity, the more... better? Love Benson, love Derek Trucks and I can't in my mind judge one better than the other because one happens to play more chords. Have seen Thiago many times, always a treat. He's the son...
  21. Tito83

What one exercise has improved your technique/playing ability the most?

To me it was trying to play Pink Floyd's Time solo while making it sing. Go through the whole solo paying attention to timing, tuning, tone. That improved my playing a lot IMO, making pretty much everything else I played sound better.
  22. Tito83

Rock vs Jazz.

You have two persons inside your head. One has this characture in his head about the style. It's as shallow and distorted as it gets. The other one enjoys it. You insist in confusing the player for the style. Once you actually realize this, I guess your halfs can become one again. :YinYang
  23. Tito83

Rock vs Jazz.

Huh. What I was referring to was an absolute standard. Like, after certain pricise point the player is considered a rock player, or a jazz player. A syllabus is as arbitrary as it gets, from your last post I think you'd agree. Not college level, whole different ball game, but at the store I...
  24. Tito83

Rock vs Jazz.

I get it! Jazz is harder because the players are insufferable. Makes sense...
  25. Tito83

Rock vs Jazz.

Don't get what you're saying. If I go to a bar and the band is playing jazz badly does it mean jazz sucks? I don't get it.
Top Bottom