• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Search results

1. MGT

PRS S2 Neck Dimensions?

Hey everyone! I'd like to order a new neck for one of my favourite Strats (it's an older Highway One) but with the neck shape & fret size that I prefer. It just so happens that my favourite neck (besides my old LP) is on my S2 Custom 22. I've never ordered a neck before and would love to know...
  2. MGT

335 Players...what are you carrying it in (for gigs)?

I have a couple of nice gig bags (with the neck support) that I use to haul my Tele, PRS CE-22 & Strats in but tend to use the standard Gibson case for my LPs. I just traded my 339 for a 335 (which I LOVE!) and was wondering what would be the best case to take it to gigs, rehearsals or on...
  3. MGT

Anyone have a BC Rich Mockingbird (made in China)?

I was picking up one of my strats from the shop and made the mistake of picking up the Mockingbird. I have a couple of LP's, a 339, three strats (with various types of pickups) and an S2 Mira.....so all US made guitars. I'm Canadian so it's not patriotism (with all due respect) and I assumed...
  4. MGT

Les Paul and Gig Bags....

I have 4 LP's (I know - I'm sick) and a couple of other guitars. My S2 Mira came in a gig bag and I have no hesitation about tossing that over my shoulder (or into the car) for a rehearsal, gig, etc. but I've heard so much about LP's & neck breaks that I'm terrified to try that with one of my...
  5. MGT

Marcus King, National Reserve....

So....I was in Fredericton, NB (it's the province right above Maine) for the past few days. They have an annual festival (Harvest Jazz & Blues). Saw Marcus King and he was fantastic...was a lot more jazz influenced than I expected. He opened for the Revivalists but I preferred Marcus. Last...
  6. MGT

PRS 305 Help?

My local music store has a used PRS 305 that I'm really interested in. I have a few Gibson's but have never owned a PRS. Anyway, I'm just wondering if the single coil pickups are in the standard size just in case I want to swap them out (or put in a stacked humbucker). Thanks for any help you...
  7. MGT

Les Paul Studio (Worn) with P-90's?

Just wondering if anyone has experience with this guitar and has any positive/negative comments? I'm considering getting one of them or possibly a SG Classic. Any feedback/comments would be appreciated!
  8. MGT

Replacing Les Paul speed knobs with top hats

Hope this isn't the dumbest question ever but are there different sizes of top hat knobs? I want to replace the speed knobs on my Les Paul Traditional but when I try to put on my new top hat knobs (they are Gibson, by the way), they don't seem to go all the way down to the body like they do...
  9. MGT

Replacing neck pickup on LP Standard

I'd like to replace the neck pickup on my 2007 LP Standard (it currently has BurstBucker Pro's, I believe). The local music store has a Seymour Duncan 59 as well as some Gibson 57 Classics. Any recommendations or can you tell me how they compare? Thanks!
  10. MGT

Upgrading Highway One strat bridge

I'd like to start upgrading my HW1 strat and thought I'd start with the bridge. I've heard that they're not the same size as the American Series (I have one so I suppose I could measure it). Any info on what brands/part numbers I could use? I have a Stew Mac catalog but didn't see anything...
  11. MGT

EMG active pickups - only for metal?

I was recently looking at a Godin LG with EMG pickups (85 and 81) and loved the feel of the guitar. While I have nothing against the Zak Wylde, etc at all, I was wondering if these pickups are versatile enough for blues, jazz, classic rock, etc. The simplest thing would be to visit the store...
  12. MGT

Help - should I buy an SG with a repaired headstock?

I saw a used SG at a music store today for $900 (I'm Canadian, by the way so that influences the prices somewhat compared to the US). They tend to be about $1800 (new) in this area. Anyway, I noticed that a line at the back of the neck past the nut. I was told that the guitar fell over, the...
  13. MGT

Help me with my tone!

This is probably difficult but I'll ask it anyway... I have a strat & tele (both HW1 models) and I play through a Hot Rod Deluxe...I have a couple of basic pedals in a Boss pedalboard but normally use the Tonebone Classic for distortion/OD. When I play at home (low volumes), I can get a...
  14. MGT

installing vintage style tuners on Highway 1's?

I have a Highway One tele & strat (what can I say - I love those necks!). They have the "ping" type of tuners but I love the look of the vintage style tuners. Anyone know if I can simply swap them (my klocal music store has a set of Grover klusons in stock) or if any mods need to be done to the...
  15. MGT

Lighter strings for country players???

I've just recently started to try hybrid picking, etc and am enjoying Greg Koch's Guitar Gristle DVD. I normally use 10's on my guitars but am wondering if guys like Koch, Brent Mason, etc go lighter than that. I put .009's on one of my teles last night and it's easier to yank the strings but...
  16. MGT

Resources to help me learn chicken-pickin'?

Lately, I've been listening to Johnny A and finally heard Greg Koch (all I can say is WOW!!!!). They both use hybrid picking & chicken pickin' (I know there are tons of others who do as well, of course) and I'd love to learn how to do it. Anyone know where I can finding anything online (or an...
  17. MGT

Differences between MIM Strat & Highway One?

Looking for some advice from all of you strat experts. I tried out a highway one strat last night & it sounded great/played great. Also tried out a couple of MIM strats & didn't find a huge difference but there is a $300 or more difference in price (at that shop, anyway). Can you guys explain...
  18. MGT

Jazz help....please???

I've been studying music/jazz theory for a while now and feel I have a decent understanding of chord & scale theory. My problem is that when I hear a song I like (whether a Diana Krall song with Russel Malone on guitar or an instrumental by Scofield), I am lost when trying to transcribe it. I've...
Top Bottom