• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Search results

1. S

Need advice on new hard rock pedal

I am trying to get the higher gain, hard rock distortion pedal spot on my board sorted. I started off with a WFRI Rat which I like, but I moved on because I wanted something a little less fuzzy. I am now using a Bogner Red but I am finding it too compressed, and not tweakable enough on the gain...
  2. S

Rack vs pedalboard

I am in the process of revamping my effects set up in 2020 after upgrading my amp last year. My ultimate plan is to have presets and MIDI switching so I can hit one button to switch effects on and off and change presets on effects with MIDI. I can see two different routes for this, a pedalboard...
  3. S

Another MIAB Plexi Style Pedal Thread

I’m looking to get a Plexi style pedal. My plan is to set it for Led Zeppelin, ZZ Top, AC/DC tones/gain levels then boosting it with my KoT yellow side to get to Van Halen tones. I’m looking at the Bogner La Grange, the Kingsley Constable, etc. What would you recommend? I’m really just looking...
  4. S

Celestion Alnico Gold but tighter low end

I really like the Celestion Alnico Gold's mids and top end, think it sounds great. My only qualm with it is that the low end could be a bit tighter. I currently have a 10" Gold in an open back combo amp. I realize the open back and 10" instead of 12" are probably part of the issue, but I can't...
  5. S

Bad experience in a guitar store...

So I went into my local guitar store that I usually like because they recently started carrying some new brands after NAMM including Matchless. I have been interested in Matchless for awhile after hearing Dan on That Pedal Show rave about his HC-30. I went in excited to try out the C-30 they got...
  6. S

Jensen C12N reissue speakers

I bought a Mojotone 2x12 cab used to pair with my vintage Blonde Bandmaster. The cab has 2 Jensen C12N Reissue speakers in it. I really don’t like them. There is this high pitched whining sounding frequency that is due to them (I tried the Bandmaster with a 10” Celestion Gold and it wasn’t...
  7. S

Anyone run a Mobius and some analog mod pedals on their board?

I’m revamping my pedalboard in 2020, and one effect I’m torn on is my Strymon Mobius. It has some nice and unique sounds in it. I like the Leslie a lot, Quadrature and Auto Swell are both cool and unique. I like most of the engines except Formant (no use) and Filter (not very good sounding). The...
  8. S

Anyone tried the Ananashead Byrd Song?

Sounds like it is a clone of the Vox V806 Treble Booster that roger McGuinn has built into his Rickenbacker 370/12. Seems like a cool idea and it is small. Also, how does the Vox V806 Treble Booster circuit differ from Rangemaster style treble boosters? It’s hard to find an answer to this...
  9. S

What compressor for a Rick 12 string?

I currently have a Wampler Ego Compressor. I always struggled with compressors before I got the Wampler, but the tweakability, especially the attack and mix knobs, has allowed me to dial in a tone I really like that preserves dynamics yet gives me sustain. I have it on most of the time...
  10. S

Got notice my King of Tone shipped

I’m pretty excited to get my King of Tone. It shipped out and will arrive Friday. I got high gain on both sides. I’m actually thinking I may end up running it “backwards” ie overdrive on the yellow side and boost on the red side to get more of a gain boost as I don’t really need a volume boost...
  11. S

Chase Bliss Dark World

One of my goals in 2020 is to revamp my pedalboard after a major overhaul to my guitar and amp rig in 2019. My main reverb for years has been the Strymon Flint. I love the reverb and trem (mostly use harmonic) combo ok the Flint, but my new main amp is a 1962 Fender Bandmaster that has real...
  12. S

Blonde Fender Heads

I was lucky enough to o acquire a 1962 Blonde Bandmaster in the fall. It sounds fantastic both edge of breakup and dirty and that trem . The only weird quirks of the amp seems to be that it gets brighter the harder it is driven and boosts (even my Suhr Koko Boost set on low mid boost) really...
  13. S

Flatwound Strings

Who on here uses flatwounds? I made the switch on my 1962 Jaguar and am really happy with them. The guitar was obviously designed with big flatwounds, so it just seems to really work well with those. I hadn't used flats since I played in jazz band in high school, so it was certainly an...
  14. S

Got to play a real 69 Marshall Plexi

For the first time, I got the chance to play a real Marshall Plexi. This was a 50 watter from 1969. It sounded absolutely glorious. I was able to turn it up enough to get it to distort (about 5 on each volume). It was very loud but not totally earsplitting. It rang out and had enough sustain to...
  15. S

Blonde Bandmaster Question

I scored a 1962 Fender Blonde Bandmaster about a month ago. It is not totally stock (filter cap replacement and a Mercury Magnetics Power transformer), but it is in good working order. I have a lot of experience with Fender Tweeds and Blackfaces but this is my first Blonde amp. What I was hoping...
  16. S

Need speaker recommendations for a Blonde Bandmaster

I got a really good deal on a 1962 Fender Blonde Bandmaster. I really like the amp, but I do not have a cab for it. I’ve only tested it through the 8 ohm 10” Celestion Gold I have in one of my combo amps. Problem is the Bandmaster has a 4 ohm output transformer, which I read is not safe to...
  17. S

Two Pedalboards vs One Big Board

I am working to put together a rig of my vintage pedals (with a few reissues and digital simulations thrown in). The problem is most of the pedals are huge, so I am debating building two smaller boards or one large board to fit them. The pedals are listed below (I noted the pedals I am optional...
  18. S

Evidence Audio SIS

I am going to be doing a total revamp of my pedalboard and will be wiring in switchers and many new pedals. With that happening, I am taking stock of my cable and whether I should switch. I have used Mogami cable with Switchcraft pancake ends or the 380 straight connectors for awhile. I switched...
  19. S

Need some rig advice (amp vs. pedal gain)

I am going to be revamping my rig this year, and I have two different routes I can take and would love to get some advice from my TGP brethren. First let me describe the tones I go for and what I want to accomplish then I will get into the options I have come up with. I want to run a wet-dry...
  20. S

How many drive pedals is too many

I’m working to totally redo my pedalboard, and I am trying to evaluate all the pedals I have. I currently have an old Pedaltrain PT-2, and I’m not opposed to getting a bigger sized board. One area where I’m not sure is drive pedals. How many is too many? I used to use one fuzz, one distortion...
  21. S

Kramer Question

Hey I am looking for some help from Kramer experts. There is a local guy selling a project Kramer. He thinks it is from the mid 80s because it has a hockey stick/banana headstock, but it does not have a Floyd Rose. It is disassembled, but it looks like this: This is a Kramer FT-211S, which I...
  22. S

Most guitars you would take to a gig?

What is the most guitars you would take to a gig? The most I ever have is three (PRS Tremonti, Telecaster, and acoustic), but I recently added some new guitars, and I could see wanting to bring 3-4 electrics plus an acoustic. It seems like overkill, but I like the idea of using different guitars...
  23. S

Boss CE-1 Questions

I have a Boss CE-1 that I bought broken and got fixed up (by a friend). It is my absolute favorite modulation effect ever. I use both the chorus and vibrato settings on it. My CE-1 is pretty noisy though, is there someone that can go through it and try to cut back on the noise? I also am...
  24. S

Good Guitar Wall Hanger

I am going to hang my guitars up on the wall in my guitar room, and I want some suggestions for good guitar wall hangers that won't be super expensive. Thanks
  25. S

What's a '50's Epiphone Zephyr Regent worth?

I played one at GC and really liked the way it played and sounded (a lot of people seem to dislike the NYC pickup, but I loved the tone it got). I've done some research on the guitar, and I know the lowest they would sell it for, but I am just curious what the going rate is? It is in pretty good...
Top Bottom