• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Search results

1. S

Songs in open G that aren't Stones songs

No, just woefully ignorant. Exhibit A: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/1287206
  2. S

Sounds like someone hasn't listened to much country...
  3. S

Nope, it's in standard tuning, key of E, played with a capo on the 2d fret.
  4. S

Just guitar and drums?

Before the Black Keys and the White Stripes (mid 80s until their breakup around 2000) there was the original guitar + drums rock'n'roll duo: The Flat Duo Jets.
  5. S

Chicago Blues Fans - Guitarist Trivia

I remember seeing Otis on two consecutive nights in the early 90s and it was unbelievable how different the two shows were. He seemed pretty indifferent the first night, but the second night he just looked miserable and depressed. Played like his pants were on fire both nights, but it almost...
  6. S

Brian Jones? Not that Wikipedia is a very reliable source of info on blues but...
  7. S

Wow we've really drifted off-topic, hopefully MVrider won't be too pissed off when he comes back! :bonk
  8. S

Wayne Bennett was a monster player...too bad he recorded very little under his own name, which is probably why he doesn't get the recognition he deserves. That's one guy I wish I could have seen on stage.
  9. S

He was an influence to some players...but I was going by the OP's description: It is almost obligatory to cite this guitar player as an "influence" - I just don't hear him mentioned as an influence that often. No denying he was a great player, I would put him in the "underrated" category...
  10. S

Hahaha good point...although I think Otis could be REALLY smooth sometimes... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_ecjwJpcRk ...same goes for Hubert... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0MIQHymToA ...but I guess "smooth" is a pretty subjective term. EVERYONE sounds "smooth" to me compared...
  11. S

Hey, don't get me wrong - I dig his playing and I am glad I got to see him live before he passed...but it's a name I really don't hear mentioned very often, let alone named as an influence. I don't think he gets nearly the credit he deserves. Then again, neither does Little Milton, or Lowell...
  12. S

Hmmm....I am no expert on British stuff, but Eddie Taylor was "The Jimmy Reed Sound" and quite a few 60s British bands covered Jimmy Reed's tunes.
  13. S

It's "almost obligatory" to cite Fenton as an influence? Great player, but I hear him name-dropped even less than Sammy Lawhorn!
  14. S

Agree 100%. He's pretty smokin' on that Eddie Taylor Live At Antone's record, too.
  15. S

The guy who really needs more credit than he ever got, in my personal opinion, would be Eddie Taylor. My favorite, along with Lockwood and Louis Myers. Going to amend my list once again: 1 Eddie Taylor 2 Hubert Sumlin or Otis Rush? 3 Robert Lockwood Jr 4 Hound Dog Taylor 5 Jimmy Johnson
  16. S

Ok, I'll go with Jimmy Johnson for #5! He WAS a surly guy! edit: I see ReidS beat me to it.
  17. S

Fair enough regarding Lockwood, but BB doesn't belong on the list, he was based out of Memphis. Freddy was based out of Chicago for a brief period in the 60s (I guess around the time he collaborated with Jimmy Rogers on the "Gold Tailed Bird" LP), but I don't know if he really belongs on the...
  18. S

Earl was NOT known for being either "outspoken" or "opinionated" - he was a pretty introverted fellow by all accounts.
  19. S

I just deleted my post because the OP specified "Chicago-based guitar players" - so Gatemouth is out. Freddy was based out of Chicago for a while, so I suppose he can stay. BB spent plenty of time there but wasn't based in Chicago. Hmmm... I change #5 back to Luther Tucker or maybe Jimmie...
  20. S

The Black Keys - Lonely Boy Guitar Effect

There's Stratocaster all over the Blakroc record, you see him playing it in some of the "making of" videos.
  21. S

Hey Kanye, Al Dimeola has a message for you.

I see the sarcasm...and perplexed Beatles fans. http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/people-tweet-kanye-west-has-discovered-paul-mccartney-have-to-fight-the-entire-internet-to-explain-the-joke-9957574.html
  22. S

The Freddie King chain of tone

Depending on *which* Freddy appearance on !THE BEAT! you watch, Gatemouth plays either a Rick or a white Fender Jaguar. Freddy looks to be plugged into a blond Showman amp during these appearances, and I suspect that's what he was using on his later King/Federal recordings. I can't remember...
  23. S

Steel bodies.....

"Dude" - it sounds like you haven't actually read the Brozman book very closely. Yeah, I know, the pictures are distracting. I suggest reading page 20, the section labeled "Towards A Louder Guitar". I'm out of here.
  24. S

Steel bodies.....

No, it was not. It was specifically made to indulge the whim of George Beauchamp, who was a vaudeville entertainer at the time. Hawaiian music was huge at the time, so Dopyera cashed in, but did NOT design the resonator guitar specifically for Hawaiian music. But don't take it from me...go read...
  25. S

Steel bodies.....

Re-read what I wrote and then read some John Dopyera interviews. The SQUARENECKS were designed specifically for slide, and they came first. The roundnecks were not, they were intended for conventional playing, and were widely used for such in genres outside of blues. They shipped from the...
Top Bottom