• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Search results

1. Deed_Poll

Katz Guitars Jaywalker Wiring prototype - first look and first impressions (Vendor)

I just thought I'd make a post here about the status of the Jaywalker with all-singing-all-dancing wiring configuration. I managed to throw together this prototype towards the tail end of last week and brought it over to Jon (my finisher) for his thoughts :) The Jaywalker is my first...
  2. Deed_Poll

New Design - Carved Top Semi

Hello all! I have been working on this small semi-hollow / hollow design for a friend as an opportunity to try some new ideas and brush up on my carved-top modelling skills. He wanted something fully symmetrical, and we decided to blend between a sort of '50s Gibson vibe and a more modern...
  3. Deed_Poll

Set Necks Vs Bolt On - Stress Question

I'm wondering whether some of the perceived difference in sound between a bolt-on and set neck (aside from the constituent that might be ascribed to general Fender vs Gibson differences - principally scale length and ferrous vs. magnetic pole pieces) might be down to stress? There's a big...
  4. Deed_Poll

Higher 'Output' Bridge Pickup - Fatter Coil or Deeper Coil?

I'm in the exciting position of having almost finished designing the bobbins and covers for a three-pickup (single coil) guitar to send them off to Marc at Mojo Pickups (UK) for winding. My philosophy was to try and bridge the gap between a Jazzmaster coil and a Strat coil, making it flatter...
  5. Deed_Poll

What's your philosophy re: pickups and electronics?

Could be as regards tone, versatility, ergonomics... but I'm just generally interested! I guess this applies more to "inventory" guitars more than complete bespoke custom jobs where the customer is likely to have complete control of the spec. Some suggested topics below but I'd love to hear...
  6. Deed_Poll

Thinline with Forearm AND Belly Contours

Hey guys! This is a first for me so I thought I'd document the process a bit and do a build-along :) I hope that others might find something useful in here, there will be a few challenges along the way and it's great to have others along for the ride. Please do not be shy! Sometimes I skip over...
  7. Deed_Poll

New design - welcoming thoughts and criticism!

So I was looking at old Soviet guitars, particularly the 'Tonika', and there was just something about the whole treble side that wouldn't leave me along... Here it is in bass form. You might have seen it around! The rest of the guitar is a bit too mad even for me, but I took some of the cues...
  8. Deed_Poll

If you had to fix Gibson...

... what would you do? Here's my list. I'm focusing on Gibson USA since Memphis, the Custom Shop and Epiphone seem to be doing ok. It would mean taking some bold decisions, but ultimately in aim to get these in the hands of working musicians WHERE THEY BELONG! 1) redesign the bridge along the...
  9. Deed_Poll

Shallow speaker for all-in-one busking guitar?

Hello folks, I saw one of these for the first time a couple of weeks ago and it got me thinking... If I was going to make something like this, how would I go about it? With the huge advances in battery technology brought about by smartphones etc, powering the thing shouldn't be too...
  10. Deed_Poll

Fully Hollow Danelectro-style Jupiter Drophorn

Test fitting the pickguard, neck (well, *a* neck), pickups and trem to this one and thought I'd take a couple of pics. Final neck won't have an overhang, of course! The core is made from baked Poplar, the top is birch ply. Top and 'back' (it's a tub route) are 1/4" thick, wall thickness is...
  11. Deed_Poll

Deluxemaster Thinline with Tummy Cut

Hey guys, So this one's a Deluxemaster Thinline for a friend on another forum! He wanted a solid top colour, white binding and a natural back - but was also keen on a tummy cut. Since this was a first for me, I thought I'd document the build process so you can come along for the ride. So I...
  12. Deed_Poll

Any thoughts on this design?

Let me know what you think! I call this one the Unica. The bridge design has three blades that each house a saddle on each side, which grips into place by tightening a bolt through the blade slots. The height adjustment is a grub screw that interfaces with the top edge of the blade, which is...
  13. Deed_Poll

NGD! Gretsch content

2005/06 (?) MIJ Gretsch 6129t Silver Jet! Pickups are oxidised, other than that mint condition. Not even any micro scratches on the back and the protective plastic film is still on the RR and truss rod cover. Came with all the hang tags & case candy and TKL hard case. Got it for £800 which I...
  14. Deed_Poll

NGDx2! '77 Ibanez SG & Squier Hello Kitty Strat

Hey folks, Been loving the Facebook marketplace. Scored this Hello Kitty Strat in mint condition for £150 Still has the protective plastic on the RR cover and the original CE sticker. I bet it's been played once. The girl I bought it from got it 10 years ago when she was 10 and gave up...
  15. Deed_Poll

Ply top on a Thinline?

So I've found a company that makes veneered plywood with a list of exotic veneers as long as your arm, including highly figured ash. I was considering getting hold of some to use for Thinline tops. Since the portion around the f-hole is machined down to 1/8" (from the back), it shouldn't be...
  16. Deed_Poll

Venture Sonic fresh off the CNC!

Hello Gear Page! Some time ago I designed this Mosrite / Squier Supersonic hybrid I called the Venture-Sonic... So I thought I'd have a go at cutting one on the CNC... And it's gone quite nicely! I did it with a half inch carve on a standard 1-3/4" blank of the tempered ash. I put this...
  17. Deed_Poll

Anyone have a guitar with this pickup placement?

Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone has a guitar with a pickup in between the traditional bridge / middle positions? I'm thinking of making a formula for a single pickup which is back-to-basics, but also with kind of a unique sound of its own to set it apart from the Juniors and Esquires of the...
  18. Deed_Poll

Would you miss not being able to roll off volume AND tone..?

Slightly clumsy wording, but I have been thinking about being clever (maybe too clever!) and dreaming up the perfect setup for a dead simple "one knob" type guitar... Personally I very rarely use both volume AND tone together, so my plan was to put a single knob on a double stacked pot with a...
  19. Deed_Poll

Shredders / Technical Players... Would you rock this?

Hello everyone! I've just been starting up as a builder slowly since I got my first CNC a few months ago. I've been learning the CNC ropes, as they say! I've made several parts guitars of my own design and thought I might have a crack at launching my own models, of which this will be the first...
  20. Deed_Poll

Headless Trem Idea

Just a quick sketch, I was thinking about a headless vibrato system. So it's basically a rocking bridge with a modified Strat 2-point trem mounted behind it - except it has a block with slotted headstock with tuners sandwiched in between the plate and the trem block that moves with the...
  21. Deed_Poll

Foam Ergonomics Prototype: 'Cambrian' Multiscale

I got a bunch of craft foam in the post today, so I thought do a straightforward ergonomics study with the current version of this design on my CNC. I will hack into it and update it, incrementally improving it over time. It's a multiscale 7 string, 680mm (26-3/4") on the bass side and 648mm...
  22. Deed_Poll

Does this exist? Wraparound / Strat Vibrato

Hey folks I'm wondering whether anyone knows of something like this, or thinks it's a good idea for OEM. Maybe you can recommend a company that would make me a batch! Looks like a wraparound but instead of locking into the posts, it balances on a fulcrum (like a modern style Strat vibrato)...
  23. Deed_Poll

Overlooked factors in guitar tone

So here's my top 10. Some of these are hotly debated here and elsewhere, but I feel all are unfairly overshadowed by talk of wood species. All of this is of course just my opinion based on theory and limited experience, and wheresoever my opinions are stated as objective fact I do so only for...
  24. Deed_Poll

How protected is the LP DC shape?

So I'm thinking of producing some guitar parts and taking on some commissioned work, and was wondering how close I am allowed to get to the Les Paul double cut shape. I remember Warmoth used to sell them, back when they did proper SG / Firebird / Les Paul SC / Explorer / Flying V shapes. They...
  25. Deed_Poll

Very Special NGD - Tele Customaster

So here it is! Got it back from my luthier yesterday. A little about the guitar - I designed it myself and made the pickguard, Kevin Peel from OEJ Custom Guitars made the body, neck was from USACG, pickups are Novak WRHB in the neck and Novak Tele HC (hum cancelling) in the bridge. All Callaham...
Top Bottom