• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Search results

1. Blauserk

Tenor guitars-anyone have/use one?

I've done a couple of threads on vintage Gibson tenor guitars over at the Les Paul Forum, simply because I've run across a zillion cool old ones (e.g., Byrdlands, ES-330s, LP Specials, SG Specials, etc etc etc). Unfortunately, most the links are now dead...
  2. Blauserk

WTB 1950's Gretsch Duo Jet

Olivia's Vintage has one of the cleanest Silver Jets I've ever seen. But clean + silver commands a premium See more here: https://oliviasvintageguitars.com/other/guitars/7148/
  3. Blauserk

Who here has spent $10k on a single guitar?

That's a beautiful guitar with unusual figuring in the Korina, but all gibson "futuristic" guitars are $10k if memory serves. Consider getting a "Banker" brand Explorer--they're more like $5k and by all accounts very well made. (Or for that matter, an old Korina Hamer--although the prices of...
  4. Blauserk

WTB 1950's Gretsch Duo Jet

Gary's Classic Guitars has ~4 1953-1957 Duo Jets, including this clean example. But personally, I'd buy the great-sounding '53 at Wildwood Guitars, warts and all. There's a demo video of Greg Koch playing it at the WIldwood website. https://www.garysguitars.com/catalog/1956-gretsch-duo-jet-4
  5. Blauserk

Any Gretsch experts here?

In addition to the Setzer SSLVOs, take a look at the various Anniversary LTVs (for Lacquer and TV Jones pickups). They have many of the appointments of the Setzers but can be had for a bit less without the neck binding. See below for one example, although this one seems a bit like a 3-legged...
  6. Blauserk

Vintage Rickenbackers ... the rarest of the rare

I googled the 370F and it was likewise a revelation for me. The idea of a singlecut Rickenbacker, let alone one that is jazzbox-sized, is brain-melting for me, but I'm really a Rickenbacker ignoramus. My idea of rare is one of the Ricks from the 1950s.
  7. Blauserk

Possibly looking for a vintage Tele or LP Jr.

This thread is classic Gear Page (and classic Internet). Guy asks for help determining originality of a vintage instrument and thread has now devolved into whether vintage guitars bought now will appreciate. Another vote for buying from reputable dealers until you've developed more expertise...
  8. Blauserk

Vintage Rickenbackers ... the rarest of the rare

This Rickenbacker is so rare as to almost be a curiosity. Their "full bodied" (almost 17" across the hips and 2 3/8" deep) Capri 360-F. One of ~68 ever produced (40 in mapleglow). Available with original friggin' sales receipt (or at least a sales receipt; it doesn't specify model). But...
  9. Blauserk

I love old Gretsch Duo Jets

As Greg says, those old DeArmonds are so glassy ... and yet also have so much beef! Here's my old '58. I suspect it may have been an earlier year that was renecked in 1958, which was entering the Filtertron era. Note the weird double serial number label. I always wanted to steam off that top...
  10. Blauserk

I love old Gretsch Duo Jets

Wildwood has a '54 "Scripty." I love both DeArmonds and Filtertrons, but DeArmonds are less well known and appreciated. I had a '58 with DeArmonds that was just demonically possessed it sounded so good. This '54 sorely tempts me, but I need another guitar slightly less than I need a hole in...
  11. Blauserk

Ronnie Wood's 1978 Live Tone

Note, though, that in the photo above, even for Keith, the Boogie isn't miked. Only the Ampeg cabinets are miked. Did the Boogie have a line out where they might have been running the Boogie into the Ampeg cabinet?
  12. Blauserk

NAD - early '70s NMV Ampeg V4

I have a same-year V-2 (with rare NOS 7027s!) and share your enthusiasm for this era of Ampegs and the fullness of the tone on the V-series even on a relatively low volume. Turned up to 3 or 4 sounds like God but literally shakes the foundations of my house. I ordinarily play on about 2½. I...
  13. Blauserk

Hoffee vs Calton Electric Guitar Cases

I currently have both Hoffee and Calton cases, albeit for acoustic instruments, not electric. Disagree with previous poster: Hoffee is much, much lighter for a given size. My Calton is great, but the thing is an anchor. I suspect that for electric guitar cases, the weight difference would be...
  14. Blauserk

Rumble Seat Music, Retrofret Vintage Guitars

I've had good luck with Retrofret. They do a pretty good job of detecting and disclosing issues with vintage guitars. Also, good luck with Gruhn; they don't necessarily list on their website all the work that is done, but if you call, they'll give you chapter and verse on every issue on the...
  15. Blauserk

Ronnie Wood's 1978 Live Tone

Those sure look like Ampegs, from those dead-giveaway rocker switches to, well, the nameplates. The switch layout and 7 knobs look like SVTs. Those are impossibly loud. Hell, V-2s are damned loud. But if you're looking to get that tone at a volume that won't sterilize cattle a half-mile...
  16. Blauserk

Scale Model Guitars, SMG- Dave Johnson???

Nope--a different guy. This Dave Johnson is an Illinoisan working in Nashville. Dave Johnson Restorations is in Washington state, I believe.
  17. Blauserk

Ashborn Guitars

Note the blocks, which appears to be individual rather than a continuous strip cut most the way through, as on more modern guitars. I've seen a handful of luthiers return to this, but it seems like a lot of work to me.
  18. Blauserk

Ashborn Guitars

I'm not much of an acoustic guy, but it struck my interest to see Lark Street list this 1863 Ashborn guitar. Interesting to see the pointed headstock joint--Martin also used the point in the headstock, but I don't know if the wood is jointed. Also interesting to see the early, handmade gears...
  19. Blauserk

NGD: 1981 Blue Hamer Special

Yes. I forget what year the sustain block was discontinued, but but those are early features. The block is only top of the body, I believe, but the mass and the string-through design were supposed to improve sustain.
  20. Blauserk

NGD: 1981 Blue Hamer Special

I'm a Hamer fan, and I'm not sure I've ever seen a blue first-run special with the sustain block bridge and inked serial number. Very impressive. Those were special (hah hah) guitars.
  21. Blauserk

Your favorite obscure Beatles song?

Doctor Robert. Not sure if "Tomorrow Never Knows" is obscure, but if it is, that's my favorite.
  22. Blauserk

Jim Heath/Reverend Horton Heat guitar workshop on StageIt

Two dates! Friday and Saturday.
  23. Blauserk

Jim Heath/Reverend Horton Heat guitar workshop on StageIt

Just FYI. One of the opportunities of the pandemic is such opportunities aren't geographically limited. https://www.stageit.com/jim_heath_reverend_horton_heat/guitar_workshop_friday_edition_jim_dunlop_presents/96415
  24. Blauserk

Most underrated vintage guitar?

For me, it's 1950s Gretsch jets. I only owned originals with DeArmond pickups, which are themselves underrated pickups; glassy cleans, but also dirty up nicely. I owned a 1958 that was just off the charts good--just demonically possessed. Super soulful-sounding guitar. But Gretsches are...
  25. Blauserk

Lyrics that are just wrong

Paul McCartney, "Getting Closer," 1979. Say You Don't Love Him, My Salamander. Why Do You Need Him? Oh No, Don't Answer, Oh No. It was June 1979 when this song was released and I was just 12 years old that I first realized song lyrics didn't...
Top Bottom