• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Search results

1. D

Princeton-ish amps that don't sound like my 6G2 Princeton

Well shoot, I think I got what I want out of my Club Royale. Mostly. Installed a 12AY7 in V1, and a NOS GE 5R4 in the recto position. Must say it's nice. I don't think I've ever had that combination of tubes in there before. One at a time, no question, but not together. Only thing left now...
  2. D

You know, I tried a 12AY7 in V1 of my Club Royale and it kinda took a bit of the edge off, but I don't remember it being a drastic change. I ran a 5R4 or 5V4 (can't remember), and a 5Y3, but always end up going back to stock. I'll give it a try again, though...been a while and maybe my ears...
  3. D

Yeah, that TV front Princeton sounds GREAT. Thanks all for the suggestions. I have a lot to consider now.
  4. D

Interesting stuff. Thanks all! That Pulsar Reverb is made in my area...never heard of him until now. So far, though, the ones that perked up my ears are: Fender Harvard 5F11 Vibroux Low-Power Tweed Twin Tweed Bassman Quite a range of size and wattage, but all seem to be in the area of...
  5. D

Okay, yeah, I'm digging these two. Again, I’m open to any circuit or design, though. Maybe even go for a low wattage Germino head or one of his tweed replicas?
  6. D

Nice amp. Again though, I’m not looking for a Princeton variant, but rather another amp that has similar feel. Kinda leaning tweed-ish for some reason but I’ve never owned or played a tweed anything.
  7. D

I don’t play the Princeton through my cabs, just the stock cab and speaker. It doesn’t sound worn out, it sounds fantastic. Maybe I’m just a fan of 10” speakers and never knew it? Thanks for the recommendation on the Mercury. I’ll check it out.
  8. D

See, all ears are different, huh. :) My Princeton can be plugged directly into using either my '52 Reissue Tele with Lollars, or my Epiphone Sheraton II with Seth Lovers, and is perfectly fine as-is. Plus, it's a transitional amp, so it's not your average 6G2. I believe the volume or tone...
  9. D

Simplifying things. Selling gear to consolidate. Reducing what I have and don't need. Distilling down to that which is pure and good. Not necessarily looking to replace the Princeton, but move my DSL and my CR and find one alternate color palate with the same base feel that compliments the...
  10. D

I think it's time for a gear shift. I have a 6G2 Princeton and it's now my favorite amp. It has a "softness" to it that I just love, and is about the right spot for volume-cranking without being too loud. Turn it to 4 on the volume and everything just makes sense. Maybe it's the 10" Oxford...
  11. D

1x12 Speaker advice

Yeah. Thanks. I ask though because I know this place and I know how much gear gets tried out by the members. :) A wealth of knowledge, you all are.
  12. D

1x12 Speaker advice

Anyone? I'm going with Jim's recommendation unless one of you has a compelling reason not to.
  13. D

1x12 Speaker advice

Recommendation from Jim at Scumback was the M75 in the 65w variety. Recommendation from Weber was the Ceramic Gray Wolf. Thoughts?
  14. D

1x12 Speaker advice

Hey Fred! I do remember you're a Top Hat Expert. Mine is a 1998 Scripty 1x12 CR. Non-MV, 5AR4 recto, smaller OT, smaller cabinet.
  15. D

1x12 Speaker advice

I'm thinking this is the direction I'll go, either regular or PVC. Weber just recommended a ceramic Grey Wolf, but in reading the description I'm not so sure. I want to soften up the amp, not keep the edge.
  16. D

1x12 Speaker advice

Thanks. I want the air and vibe without the harsh quickness. A balanced speaker that is inefficient, clear without being harsh, yet fuller in the low end than my G12M Greenback. Alnico would be cool but isn’t necessary. Sounds like the SC75 in the 30 or 65w range then, maybe?
  17. D

1x12 Speaker advice

Interesting. I was looking at this, or maybe a Weber 1265 Alnico. Do you have the SC75 65w by chance? If so, your take on it?
  18. D

1x12 Speaker advice

18w, Top Hat Club Royale 1x12 Looking to keep it not-wound-up...in other words, a less sensitive speaker that won't be edgy but will retain and compliment the air and qualities of that amp. Your Cream Alnico / Vox combo sounds good, but isn't that speaker pretty uppity...that is, a high...
  19. D

1x12 Speaker advice

Long time since I looked into speakers. What are we all liking as far as Voxy Marshally alnico tones? Is the Celestion Blue still the deal? I ask because I'm looking for a more even yet still clear replacement for a Celestion Greenback in a 1x12 combo. Had a bunch of speakers in there...
  20. D

Glendale or not? Upgrades to '52 Reissue Telecaster

Ha. Yeah, no thanks. I'm sure your Nocaster is killer, but I'm not looking to spend that kinda cash on an upgrade. :)
  21. D

Why are Teles soooo cool? I just don't get it. But I get it. Thanks for the replies. I'll call this "leave it alone" and be done with it. Stock bridgeplate/saddles are just fine and don't poke me, so the question was mostly regarding tone/vibe/feel/etc.. And thanks all for the great pics...
  22. D

Hmm. Good to hear. I prefer to leave things as they are, but then I also prefer to tinker. ;)
  23. D

Hi all, Many years ago I put a Glendale bridge plate and brass string saddles on my American Std. Tele and I noticed a positive difference. That Tele had the stock, late-'90s flat plate and individual saddles akin to a Strat. I now have a '52 reissue Tele that has the stock "ash tray" bridge...
  24. D

Is Craigslist not a thing anymore?

Well shoot, the Tele sold on Craig's List within a day and a half. Crazy. Now my SG Standard...we shall see. I'll probably have to list that here as it seems Craig's List in the Portland area seems to do better with low to low-mid end gear. Thanks all for the help. Been a while since I...
  25. D

Is Craigslist not a thing anymore?

Wow. Thanks for the replies! I'm in Oregon, outside the Portland area, and it seems like there is still a lot of stuff listed on Craig's List, so I'll give them a try as I'd like to sell local/FTF if possible. Interesting to hear how it can differ from city-to-city, though. I'm not on...
Top Bottom