• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Search results

1. W

Wilkinson Locking Saddles Now Available

The Wilkinson store on Reverb has offset locking saddles in stock. I bagged a Fender American Deluxe bridge for these on a recent build, as this seemed to be the only offset 2-point bridge I could find. The saddles are slightly too wide, like by maybe 0.6mm in total across the set, which makes...
  2. W

Single cutaway hollow body guitar kits

I've put together a few set neck guitars from Precision Guitar Kits. Both wound up as amazing guitars, despite my best efforts. I'm now on the hunt for a single cutaway kit similar to a Collings SoCo 16. I've bugged the PGK guys about programming this with no luck. Does anything like this exist?
  3. W

Recommend me some proper Jazz bass tuning keys?

I'm building my first bass, and as a guitar player, I'm clueless on decent hardware. I'm starting with Precision Guitar Kits bones. PGK makes top-shelf 6 string kits, I expect the J bass to be no different. I've gone with Fralin pickups and electronics, and a high mass Badass bridge. I'm hoping...
  4. W

PRS DGT Opinions

I had mine for about 2 years. The frets are great, the term is great, the electronics are great, the tone is magnificent. The neck is an acquired taste, one I was never able to acquire. YMMV.
  5. W

AX8 vs AxeFX 2 vs FM3 vs AxeFX 3

I can definitely hear a difference between the III and the other units. The III has a better room ambience, the decay on the IR has more air, there are some subtle early reflections that are easier to pick out than with the other units. It sounds like the other units were recorded with a Rode...
  6. W

Project guitar Leo Nocentelli content

I bagged a loaded Modern Player Starcaster body on eBay for something like $400. I strongly suspect that there is nothing different between this and the Squiers other than the country of manufacture, which likely makes little if any difference. I picked up a neck from Sound Guitar Works (former...
  7. W

J bass kit for Xmas. Guitar player knows nothing. What do I need to buy?

That doesn't surprise me, but is there any point at all in an upgrade? A modern Gotoh or Wilkinson strat bridge easily outperforms a USA standard Fender. I'm assuming that the complexities of keeping a tremolo in tune exceed anything needed in a bass, correct? What about all the high mass...
  8. W

What about hardware? Anything I need to know about bridges?
  9. W

I've boult about a dozen Warmoth and Precision Guitar Kits guitars. My lovely wife hit me with a PGK J kit for christmas, maple neck, alder body. I literally know less than nothing about how to equip this thing. As with all PGK offerings, the quality is stellar. I fit the neck into the pocket...
  10. W

Glad it's working out for you. Tuning issues with a Strat trem are the bane of all of our existences. If you find something that works, don't question it, run with it.
  11. W

That's a patent issue right there. For sure Floyd Rose owns the patent on locking nuts, otherwise there would be dozens of better solutions by now.
  12. W

I've been doing that for hours at a time, for three days straight now, without tuning once (lol)
  13. W

My results beg to differ. No locking nut, and with this locking saddle bridge, no tuning issues.
  14. W

Nice! Mine is a Warmoth Jazzmaster, with Lollar Imperial Low Winds, the same IBM finish, and now apparently the same bridge. Cheers!
  15. W

Thanks. And oddly enough, the guitar I dropped it into looks disturbingly like your signature guitar (lol). I feel like I got lucky and stumbled onto my bridge on Reverb. Another scan through Reverb, Ebay, Amazon.. zilch, nada. Are these things truly as impossible to come by as it seems?
  16. W

I just dropped the Suhr full bridge with locking saddles onto a partscaster that previously held an AM Standard 2-point trem with Calaham saddles. Well-cut Graphtech nut, staggered locking tuners, no string trees, yada yada. There was nothing wrong with the parts or the setup. The guitar could...
  17. W

Stupid 12 string tuning key question

I'm looking at Grover mini roto-grip tuners for a Starcaster project. My Sound Guitar Works Fender-ish neck just arrived. I am looking at picking up a set of inline 6 right handed and left handed tuners. The lefties are hard to find, and the inlines are more expensive than the 3 per sides. Is...
  18. W

Pickups that can get me close to a Rickenbacker 12-string tone

That's good information, but I'm more interested in building than buying. I'm all partscasters, all the time.
  19. W

Pickups that can get me close to a Rickenbacker 12-string tone

I love everything about Rickenbackers except playing them. I am thinking about building a 12-string that I can actually play, with a Warmoth 12 string neck, 1-3/4" nut width, '59 Roundback neck carve, and an alder semi-hollow Jazzmaster body. I have sets of Fralin noiseless P90s and TV Jones...
  20. W

Rickenbacker tone from WRHB sized pickup?

I have a Modern Player Starcaster body that I like quite a bit, but the stock pickups suck. I was about to drop on a set of Lollar Regals, but what I'm really after is something more like the tone of a Rickenbacker 360. This is a partscaster project, currently with at Warmoth Strat neck and a...
  21. W

Building my first acoustic kit. What finish?

Thanks, that's exactly the level of input I was hoping for. Would you consider spray shellac?
  22. W

On an acoustic? I didn't know that was a thing... but sounds like it may be the right thing. Thanks!
  23. W

I've done a ton of TruOil finishes on guitars, but I'm pretty sick of the labor involved. I'm looking for a simple, non-toxic (i.e. not nitro) finish that doesn't require a ton of effort and simultaneously won't be incompatible with what a good acoustic is supposed to sound like. Any suggestions?
  24. W

Longtime guitar player, buying first Fender bass. School me?

I'm about to bag my first bass ever, purely for recording. I'm a good enough guitar player but a total bass hack. I'm hoping for something easy to play with versatile tones. I'm gravitating towards something from the Fender Player series. For versatility and ease of play, Precision, Jazz, or...
  25. W

Latency in a signal chain. Don't dismiss things because you can't tell the differences

Yes, clearly. Do you have full text access to that paper? Yes, there is a difference between motor timing error (frontal lobe, basal ganglia) and perception of relative differences (parietal lobe, basal ganglia). But those differences should be additive, in that the timing error between...
Top Bottom