• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Search results

1. M

Scales?? Pretty much useless for improvising well.

cheese justa guy...
  2. M

this is interesting. i am certainly not an authority on gb. i would agree that his playing is perhaps based on chord tones, but still, to substitute a raised 4th in a mixolydian scale seems like it would be trivial for as great a player as gb. but hey, looks like i know something gb doesn't, so...
  3. M

as buddyguit notes, of course gb knows this scale, and anyone who is at a world class level of jazz knows it (which isn't to say that anyone who knows it is at a world class level of jazz). gb could run it up and down without a second thought. or did you mean the name? is your whole point...
  4. M

they could be totally useless 50% of the time and 100% useful 50% of the time. but, it's time to lock this one down and start part 2. wow.
  5. M

but which of them use scales? isn't that the real question?
  6. M

tag, perhaps early on you put too high an expectation upon what scales could do for you, and then you realized they weren't as important as you once did, and now the pendulum has swung the other way... just the fact that we can understand this concept - 'try playing an A mixolydian b6 scale...
  7. M

not 'til the fish have their say...
  8. M

thanks for the excellent summary, mike, i owe you a couple of hours. and, having read it, i concur that scales are indeed useless. on the more serious side, here are a few more of my thoughts. obviously the music came first and then later the scales used were recognized. it's a bit like...
  9. M

i guess i'll go the other way now... the answer, arthur, is no. if you play 2 consecutive notes from a scale you aren't making music, you are practicing technical skills that will only impede you later.
  10. M

i suspect that musicans have been learning scales for more than 400 years, and that mr. hart know lots and lots of them. but his point doesn't seem to be about learning pieces rather than scales, it seems to be about listening before reading.
  11. M

lol. can you summarize what you wrote? (please be gentle). but to stay marginally on topic, it's like you wrote above, a scale is a collection of notes that help to organize them into more meaningful groups. i think part of the problem is always playing them up and down, one note to the...
  12. M

i've been avoiding this thread, and now i can't bear to read the whole thing. but if you want to summarize it for me, that would be most helpful. while i haven't read the thread, i perhaps can understand tag's point. anyway, i better return to my 'sophisticated wanking' project.
  13. M

it's a little too late for that now, so let's just plow right on through here... seems to me, unless you just play a single note (monoscale?), you are using a scale. even an interval could be considered a two note scale (duoscale?). i think b.b. king uses that one, sometimes the triscale...
  14. M

i can't read all of this thread, so i will no doubt repeat that scales are a bit like letters. in and of themselves, not good for a whole lot, but the building blocks of most music. they are also a way of analyzing music after the fact. and to the op, i bet you use that chromatic scale...
  15. M

Recommend some good chord melody books

i would recommend this book: mel bay jazz guitar standards chord melody solos. it comes with a cd and there are 44 standards. one of the nice things about it is that each tune is arranged by a different guitarist (not quite true as some arrangers arrange more than one tune), so you get a...
Top Bottom