• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Search results

1. C

Bill Lawrence or Bill Lawrence USA???

It is easy to understand the specific reason for the court decision without reducing any of the weight of evidence. Trademarks have to be defended or they will be lost. Bill was left bankrupted while in Germany for a funeral while his ex-partner seized the assets of Bill's company by creating...
  2. C

The info in this thread should probably be bumped at least once a year. Hard to believe that a company in this industry, that still exists, bases its existence on an altered legal document with the sentence stating the expiration whited out. It is obvious to everyone who compared it to the...
  3. C

Firebird X rebuttal - share your funny or serious ideas for "revolutionizing" guitars

Gibson can do a guitar with a glory hole. Oh wait, Ibanez already did and calls it a monkey grip for all the hardcore wankers.
  4. C

Firebird X rebuttal - share your funny or serious ideas for "revolutionizing" guitars

This revolutionary feature has been needed since the combination of the guitar's hourglass shape and the archtop. The archtop needs to be shaped like a female body, complete with well shaped breasts. Les Paul type pickup switches can be placed where nipples should be. Please let me know when...
  5. C

D.Gilmour, J.Beck, A. Lifeson, can use any trem they want ... yet ...

Another semi-vintage looking tremolo I was thoroughly impressed with was the one that is on the Flaxwood guitars. It is about as flexible as a Floyd, and I think it is some modern type of Schaller, but those guitars have crazy good tone, usually the best to be found at guitar shows when they...
  6. C

D.Gilmour, J.Beck, A. Lifeson, can use any trem they want ... yet ...

This may be a slightly different comparison, but the heavy tremolo wanker John Petrucci of Dream Theater had long used Floyds or an Ibanez version, but now uses a custom tremolo by Ernie Ball that doesn't look anything like a Floyd type. I haven't tested it much to get an opinion of it.
  7. C

Pot calling the kettle black: Guitar developments and irony

Sometimes the issue is a particular bundle of "advancements." I love Steinberger guitars, but they usually have active electronics, which I despise, partly for tone, partly because of their interaction with fuzz pedals. So I end up just getting the Korean import Steinberger Spirits and putting...
  8. C

Stewart MacDonald formerly sold the "Jzchak Wajcman" version. Their lead tech at the time (was his name Tom? can't recall) admitted in writing that the pickups from the real Bill Lawrence person were better pickups. Eventually, Stewmac dropped the Jzchak BL-USA pickups to gain back karma with...
  9. C

Dallas Guitar Show '08

I'll be there... probably wearing a white Steinberger Spirit to have a well known reference to compare things. Anyone know what interesting stuff will be there? (Meaning stuff other than Fenders and Gibsons).
  10. C

The "Real" Bill Lawrence Pickups?

Without knowing the details of that case, I can still say it is a big difference... this would be like Mike Matthews advertising an "Electro Harmonix USA Jimi Hendrix Big Muff" as a product title.
  11. C

Another interesting aspect is how this is a controversy about ethically debatable unauthorized use of a personal name for business profit... so how interesting that lots of official dealers for "Bill Lawrence USA" advertise a "Bill Lawrence USA Stevie Ray Vaughan Pickup Set"??? See...
  12. C

As that was the best response to my quick history lesson, I assume no essential part of it has ever been challenged. It is worth noting that Stew Mac's head tech admitted that the real Bill Lawrence pickups sounded better than the "Bill Lawrence USA" ones they sold. Stew Mac stopped selling the...
  13. C

Here is the short of the legal story, though I haven't kept up if anything has changed in the last year or so. While Bill was in Germany ~1984 and his company was in trouble, Wacjman, a partner in the company "allegedly" got the bank to foreclose on it and sell the assets to him personally...
  14. C

New Gibsons in Muscians friend...........

An attempt to alter mega-music-corp's advertizing methodology would be about as successful as trying to make WWE a serious sport without bad guys, growling, masks, chairs, and steroids.
  15. C

My Ernie Ball Steve Morse arrived...

Not much on the Steve Morse model on TGP. Has anyone played both the old sig. and new sig model to compare them? Also, what type of sounds do they get. Don't just say lots... I know they can get chunky rock and sort of Telecaster twangy, but can anyone give more specifics? Any unusual sounds or...
  16. C

Just ordered a BAD ASS new Carvin!

I've had the C22T/N combo, and I'm trying to sell them at 60%+ off new price with hno luck. I can't stand the C22T, but I really like the M22T/V and C22B in some guitars. I don't think there is any accurate blanket statement pro or con about Carvin pickups. Maybe you've found a good maple...
  17. C

Synapse...opinions?

I looked at the Synapse and decided I much prefer my Steinberger Spirits with upgraded pickups, but then, I never liked EMGs.
  18. C

Just ordered a BAD ASS new Carvin!

In my experience, the Carvins that lack mojo are the maple neck neck-through ones, which is unfortunately the standard option. I have an all Koa DC127, and its incredible, and my AE185 is quite good and fun.
  19. C

Some may also be interested that I'm also a Wikipedian, and thought that I'd add Bill Lawrence there and so that Bill's case can get a Wikipedian workout with both sides having to abide by NPOV. So both sides did, and I thought the evidence quite strongly in Bill's favor. I have to admit, when...
  20. C

Extreme update: Wajcman (of www.billlawrenceusa.com) has admitted before a judge through his attorney (with no explanation, of course) that he used forged documents. Hopefully, people will judge him as appropriately, and warn others like we do about Ed Roman. See the fake vs. the real here...
  21. C

John Catto, you are partly right because I wasn't clear. Your picture shows a L90 and either an L220 or L250. I was intending to refer only to the L500 series. Yes, there were thin blades on some of the other models. Now to slightly complicate, there might have been real L500s made by Bill...
  22. C

Those Ebay pickups are real. All the ones produced in the old Tennessee factory are real. Most of the notorious L500s have thin blades. However, because people started recognizing the good ones by the thick blades, the ex-partner started using thick blades on some, supposedly at the request...
  23. C

Music man J. Petrucci or Ibanez JS1200?

Another vote for the Music Man if choosing one of those. But when I think of these guitars, I'd also say to look up Vigier. I occasionally see great deals on these used.
  24. C

Carvin anybody?

I own 2 Carvin guitars and a bass, and they are great. The most important advice I can give is that IF you get a neck through Carvin, DO NOT get a maple neck through. Either mahogany or koa neck throughs can be great. With that rule, then brightness probably won't be a problem, though you...
  25. C

Fender meets Intel at the crossroads...

Should we wait for the Relic Intel Fender version? :)
Top Bottom