Search results

1. crazymauler

What amp killed your overdrive pedal GAS?

Suhr Badger 18
  2. crazymauler

PT15 to IR, or not to IR?

I’m hoping to own this amp someday soon, the features and tones are so impressive. For my part, I would absolutely get the IR version. I own the RLIR and it’s the best gear purchase ever. Having that built into an amp is just genius IMHO. I would use it all the time. Plus I’d keep the RLIR to...
  3. crazymauler

Q: Why huge RevivalDrive volume difference through cab, but not direct?

Gotcha, that makes sense. FWIW I've found that when comparing IR's (through my studio monitors) vs. the cabinet in the room, the sound and experience is quite different, and my pedals behave slightly differently as well (even when dialing up an identical IR to the cab). I chalk it up to...
  4. crazymauler

Q: Why huge RevivalDrive volume difference through cab, but not direct?

Not sure if this matters or helps, but are you using an IR that’s close to/the same as your actual cabinet and mic/placement? Also, are you comparing the IR to your mic’d cabinet in a separate & isolated room, listening to both through the same monitors?
  5. crazymauler

Analogman Sunface club

Low Gain Sun Face, I posted a pic 3-4 posts up... :)
  6. crazymauler

Analogman Sunface club

That clip sounds great! I love my LG into PRRI, though it’s got a 12” Greenback which probably helps, and I have the Princeton volume ~5 where it’s just starting to break up. Not a fan of fuzz into super clean/bright amp, that’s definitely where you need a light OD inbetween (KOT is a great choice).
  7. crazymauler

Analogman Sunface club

I've been through several Ge Sun Faces. They're all good, but the LG (Low Gain) ended my search. It's fantastic—killer fuzz tone, amazing cleanup. A close second was the 2N527 (has a nice bright cutting top end to it, the cleanup tone is pretty bright). The BART is almost too over the top...
  8. crazymauler

Guitar body? Warmoth, Guitar Mill, Allparts??

I just finished my 2nd "quarantine build" project, both with Warmoth bodies, necks, and parts. I'm super happy with them, fantastic quality, always my first (only?) choice for builds.
  9. crazymauler

Rush/Lifeson tones (HYF, ASoH, Presto, RtB) with modern equipment?

This is really great stuff! I'm going to experiment with the two chorus concept, and also play with the idea of a preamp pedal into the power section of the amp, that's a great tip as well. Thanks for the encouragement and ideas!
  10. crazymauler

@RockDebris wow this is really cool and really well done! You may be on to something with the stacked chorus idea being a key to those tones (rather than just the GK preamps). And maybe just running things a bit brighter since I don't have active single coils with an ebony fretboard. May I ask...
  11. crazymauler

Anyone know of any preamps (or pedals) that would sound similar to some of the 80's GK units? (2000CPL, 2100SEL, 250ML)
  12. crazymauler

Anyone have any tips/tricks/pedals for making passive single coils sound/behave like active?
  13. crazymauler

@Benz2112 Yeah that's a good idea on the Jazz Chorus, that might be a good choice for those bright "fast" transient clean tones, and the chorus would be a bonus. IIRC Alex used that amp here and there, but not exactly sure what songs/albums? Do any of the newer solid state amps (Quilter?) do...
  14. crazymauler

I love Rush and Lifeson, and I'm quite fond of his tones from those albums mentioned. I realize many don't like this era, and there are other threads on Lifeson's tones before and after these albums, but I really love those albums and his tones and parts he created for them. I know pretty well...
  15. crazymauler

Suhr RL-IR users

I've had my RLIR since it first came out—probably the best and most game-changing piece of gear I've ever purchased. I love it. Yes it needs power (comes with a power supply). I use it for studio work with a couple different amps and I use it live (playing at church) with just my Badger 18 head...
  16. crazymauler

Badger 30 inspired by which Marshall amp?

FWIW here's my experience with my Badger 18: • I liked the Badger 112 cab w/ Vet30 • I really like that cab with a G12-65 (which I still have in there) • I absolutely LOVE running it into the Suhr RLIR's 4x12 cab with Greenbacks, just glorious I don't think I'll ever own an actual 4x12 w/...
  17. crazymauler

Michael Landau Liquid Quartet Live 2020

This is fantastic @jcmusic thanks so much for the rundown! Must have been an epic night of music, wish I could have been there. I love that you got a good pic of Abe's kit and mic setup, he's a ferocious drummer!
  18. crazymauler

@Husky Super cool, thank you! Did he mention what guitar(s) he used?
  19. crazymauler

Analogman Sunface club

@stratpaulguy86 Wow that sounds Righteous! <sorry> I'ld love to know your signal chain in that clip, especially the amp and cabinet!
  20. crazymauler

Wow this album is incredible, such great tones, stellar recording/mixing, amazing performances. Any chance anyone here caught one of those live dates? I'd love to know what guitar and amp(s) he was using. His pedalboard is pretty well documented, but I wonder if he was using his HH Strat? '63...
  21. crazymauler

Analogman Sunface club

I think a BART would work great. It has a tremendous amount of fuzz/gain but also cleans up incredibly well. I ended up moving from the BART and getting an LG (low gain) and it's "the one." Works amazingly well for my setup (mostly HB guitars into slightly breaking up amps). I also have a 2N527...
  22. crazymauler

What does contribute the most to a good sound on a strat?

While of course it's the sum of all its parts (like a fine bolognese), if you're restricting the comments to just the neck, body, or saddles, I would say 1st) the neck is the most important factor to a guitar's tone, followed by 2nd) the body, and then the saddles at a very distant 3rd.
  23. crazymauler

Vintage Radius vs Modern Radius

All my other guitars have 9.5" and 10–16" radii. My first experience with a 7.25" was this recent Warmoth build below (hope the pic shows up!). I wanted to take a chance and try a more vintage spec guitar, and I was nervous after reading so many negative comments about it, but it's unbelievably...
  24. crazymauler

2 Humbucker Super Strat Options?

I'll also add: the Suhr Thornbuckers are also a fantastic choice as well! I replaced the SSV in a Suhr Classic S with a Thornbucker, they're very close but both great. And I put a pair of Thornbuckers in my PRS Custom 22 and they absolutely rock, and the split tones are stellar. Killer pickups!
  25. crazymauler

2 Humbucker Super Strat Options?

I recently did an HH Strat style Warmoth build and am super happy with the results. Like you, I wanted humbuckers on the brighter end of the scale. I went with a Lollar Imperial (F-spaced) in the bridge and an El Rayo in the neck. I couldn't be happier with how this turned out, really great...

Trending Topics