Search results

1. S

West Coast Blues Thread Version 19

Here's one that's new to me, a radio broadcast of Hollywood Fats live in Monterey, 1980. You need to deal with the annoyance of Zippyshare, but it's worth it. https://dontaskmeidontknow.blogspot.com/2020/04/hollywood-fats-margie-evans-live.html
  2. S

I play my '36 Harmony Cremona for all my acoustic gigs. They don't make them like that anymore.
  3. S

Andrew is a somewhat recent addition to the Bay Area blues scene. We are very glad to have another excellent drummer here. I saw Mitch Kashmar in Portland recently with our own AC Porter. That was a bunch of good blues, for sure. I've driven past the venue for years, and would have never...
  4. S

Occasionally. I play almost exclusively in BBQ joints these days, so I need clean tone to cut through the mayhem. Smoked meat and beer makes people get all primitive. In a good way, I mean.
  5. S

New songs: No particular songs, but maybe look at some New Orleans stuff; Smiley Lewis, Dave Bartholomew, Professor Longhair, Snooks Eaglin. They have some different beats, and even their swings have a different feel. Lots of "hooky" songs. Also, Jimmy McCracklin. I used to play "The Walk" for...
  6. S

"Which upright did you get?" I got a 1943 Chubby Jackson Kay, converted from a 5-string. I got it from Kedar Roy, so you might have heard it on a west coast blues recording. Kedar is into King Mortone basses these days.
  7. S

Hot damn, this thread still has my name on it. I'm still out on the West Coast, playing blues. I bought an upright bass, so my new goal is to be the best mediocre bass player in town.
  8. S

Yep, I'm doing fine in San Jose. I grew up next to a creek, and I swore under a blasted oak at midnight to never buy a house anywhere near a creek. Some friends of mine had to evacuate and got flooded. What was normally a little ol' urban creek turned into a river, really quickly. The...
  9. S

Controlling hollowbody feedback

The only hollow body that I have that squeals has micro-phonic pickups. Nasty. My other hollow bodies don't squeal, they roar, which is truly feedback. Heck, I can feel it; it's like wrestling a German shepherd.
  10. S

I have the Goya classical guitar that my Dad bought in 1962. I started playing it in 1964. I learned all the solos on the Beano album on it. Well, most of them anyway. In other news, today I bought an upright bass from Kedar, a 1943 Chubby Jackson Kay. Damn, those notes are far apart.
  11. S

So, Los Lobos at the Fillmore last night. They always pull out some WTF song, this time they ended the first set with "Walkin' With Frankie." o_O It works really well as chicano rock.
  12. S

" I think I had become aware of him via Tom Mazzolini's "Blues By The Bay Show" on KPFA." Har. To pile on the coincidences, the first time I heard Hollywood Fats, which opened a rather huge door for me, was on Tom's show. You know that situation when you're driving and you reach your...
  13. S

Here's our little ol' basement jam last weekend. Gary Smith was just... damn. He got us all working. Curious, do ya'll know who Gary Smith is? He had a band out of San Jose way back when in the 70s with some Mike Watson guy on guitar.
  14. S

Favorite Concert Opener Memory

"The original Mahavishnu Orchestra in '73, Chicago Auditorium." I saw that band too, with the same opening. The only trouble was that the nearby yacht harbor broadcast an annoying BEEP every 18 seconds, which came out quite loud and clear from the PA.
  15. S

Where to start with Zappa . . . .

I dunno, music is not like food, where you can acquire a taste. At least, that's my experience. I've never had the experience of thinking "meh" or even "yuck" about music, and then learning to like it. I either respond, or I am repelled, and that's that. I have absolutely no motivation to "get,"...
  16. S

"...probably because of Fred Below on the drums..." Like how on "Bricks in My Pillow" Nighthawk is awesome, but it's Ransom Knowling who just kills me.
  17. S

RIP Bobby Hutcherson :(

I'm thankful I saw him a few times, decades ago.
  18. S

Good blues musicians to listen to for singers

According to the list so far, all of them. Har. Mostly, you need to start from how you sing, and find out which singers have something you can learn from. I, personally, cannot stand Frank Sinatra, but in a similar crooner vein, I get a lot from Nat King Cole. Someone who learned from Nat King...
  19. S

Free Jazz - what's the deal?

I forget which free jazz player said it, but he said something like: Because they were playing something different, listeners had to listen differently. That is, as a listener you can't expect something like Mozart. Kind of like reading Ulysses; you can't go into it expecting a gripping plot. Or...
  20. S

Wouldn't Central Avenue be the real origin of "West Coast Blues"? Why, yes. Replace the sax with a harmonica, and there you go.
  21. S

Charles Brown... I dunno what it is about Central Avenue blues being such a little-known sub-genre. So many great musicians and vocalists, and the freakin' horn players... my goodness.
  22. S

A friend of mine had one of those Univoxes in 1968. It wasn't very good. We considered it a "starter" guitar, which you got rid of as soon as you could afford a Fender or a Gibson. For a complete starter rig, you also had a Silvertone amp, which you got rid of as soon as you could afford a Twin...
  23. S

"It isn't like you're considering doing Two Bones And a Pick with a fuzzed out octave divider and a Mutron." That could be kind of badass.
  24. S

Forbes - Blues is the cool new genre in music

Leon Bridges is really good. More Sam Cooke than Motown. That "Lisa Sawyer" song is amazing, and not like anything recorded when Sam Cooke was around. Hurray for innovation! It's also clear that they aren't using pitch correction on the fella; I wouldn't call it pitchy, but it's definitely...
  25. S

Paul Kantner R.I.P.

My first rock concert was the Airplane, in 1965. Signe Anderson had just left to have a baby, Grace Slick hadn't joined. I had already met Paul Kantner at my house; he gave guitar lessons to my Mom and some other totally hip housewives. Imagine Paul Kantner and a bunch of 30-something ladies...