Search results

1. R

Best Les Paul for the money?

For a branded Gibson, I have to say studios are a great deal. I have had a few, and currently have a black 2006. It plays and sounds like a good Paul should, no frills, gloss black, and has the Gibson hard case. I'm not bothering to sell on the Internet, I just decided to list it on the...
  2. R

Anyone here defeated the GAS for good?

I get to satisfy GAS while making my living. I've been buying and selling guitars, amps, and effects pedals for decades. I buy for my shop, and have a huge selection. I only do used and vintage, although I do sell Bluesman Vintage guitars and basses. I also sell Shaw amplifiers. Picking up...
  3. R

Feeling a lot of guilt in owning so much gear.

I buy and sell guitars and amps for a living. My personal collection has been large and expensive at times during the last 3 decades. Never felt any guilt, and I do get to play some rather amazing guitars and amps as a after of course at work. On rare occasions I play out, I usually use a...
  4. R

Tell me about the best Fender Strat you have ever played or owned.

Is one I reluctantly sold to a returning Iraq veteran in 2011. It was a blonde ash body 57 that had been sent back to fender in 63 for a Refin to lake placid blue. At that time it also had the neck replaced for a Jan 63 one. The original harness was retianed including pickups, but a green guard...
  5. R

New Pearly Gates on Ebay

I'd call that price wishful thinking. I've had three of the signed and numbered ones through my hands since they came out, and I currently have number 47 for sale, listed on Reverb. These are just stunning relicas of pearly, and the attention to detail in the relic treatment is the most accurate...
  6. R

What's the skinny on American Standard Stratocasters (good years?)

I had an aunt Beulah, she played the radio some. I actually still have an uncle Mort, however. He is 88, plays both accordion and guitar. I'm sure he'd love a nice American std Strat , maybe I should ask him if he'd like one, I'd certainly gift it to him. His guitar is a 63 Gretsch Astro Jet. He...
  7. R

Do you own Celeb gear?

Recently I was given a guitar as a gift from a client of mine who has become a very close friend. He is a collector and has a few guitars that have celebrity associations. One of them is a red Hamer prototype, very early with the short horn body shape, triple coil pickup, and a bright red...
  8. R

NGD - '78 Black Hamer Sunburst!!!

I've been searching for a black bound/crowned for a long time. If you ever want to sell, I'd love dibs!! Give me a call if you get ready to part with it!
  9. R

Rock Telecaster

Also, I have the PAF swapped around so the pole pieces are towards the bridge, not the neck. For some reason it just sounds way better in the middle position with the pickup facing that way.
  10. R

Rock Telecaster

It's the original 54 pots, cap, switch, and jack-but it's wired just like a modern tele-straight ahead 3 position switch. Most times I leave it in the middle, and just swat it to the treble position when I need it to jump out in the mix. On the lead pickup alone, I might lower the tone a bit if...
  11. R

Rock Telecaster

I've two Teles , both owned many years, for rock, etc. 1 is a 73 Custom, the other is a 54 body with a late 70s boogie bodies neck. The 73 has it's stock wide range rhythm pickup, volume set at 8 most the time. I use the middle with it set there. The lead pickup is a David Allen that is tapped...
  12. R

Why do we see so many people sticking up for poor customer service?

I recently opened a store in my hometown, and I have 2 guys that sub repair work from me, both are friends of mine, both are humble hard workers with excellent experience and fine skills. We really feel blessed to be able to earn our living doing something we love. We listen to our customers, we...
  13. R

Coolest Guitar Score.. Under $500

I bought a 64 Gibson LGO last weekend at our town yard sale for 40.00. I also got a 1930's Elgin double barrel 12 gauge for 25.00. Shoots like a champ. The Gibson is getting a neck set, but otherwise in superb condition. Last year I bought a Marshall 2204 head for 150.00 at a local pawnshop. It...
  14. R

NGD: 1968 Fender Stratocaster bought from Eric Johnson

One of the nicest guys out there, Eric. I have a couple of his old plexi Marshall's and a cab of his with some prototype celestions that are amazing. Like most of us he loves and goes through some guitars. One thing about getting something from Eric , if he has it, it's a good example, as he...
  15. R

Why the high prices on vintage Epiphones?

These guitars have not been anything but expensive for years. Coronets have recently caught up to the level that Wilshires etc. have been for a while. Olympics are about all that ever goes less than a grand. I have lots of experience with both New York and Kalamazoo made Epiphone guitars...
  16. R

Now I am torn, and feel slightly silly!

For many years I had a fiesta red 61 slab board JM. It was never a main guitar, but was very inspirational when it came to sparking my creativity. It was not in the realm of my Teles or Strat-a Fender of a different stripe, certainly though. I did manage nice treble tones as well as lush darker...
  17. R

Personal Attachments.....

This is a tough subject, as I am going to sell off some of my collection-guitars I had no plans to part with. My wife passed away, quickly and unexpectedly, 2 months ago yesterday. To be honest, since she passed-I have been pretty much buried in grief and confusion. I lost her as well as my 2...
  18. R

Sell me on the Tele!

My second good guitar (my first was a Les Paul special) was a 73 tele custom, a great guitar that was very versatile, but much more rock/blues oriented with it's six saddle bridge, wide range humbucker at the neck, and Les Paul like control layout. It could and does do country well, though...
  19. R

Do you have a guitar from your birth year?

I have a 66 p bass and a 66 fender 12, so I'm covered
  20. R

Variety or sameness?

I like different guitars, none of mine have similar features. I like and play them all often, for whatever seems appropriate for the situation.
  21. R

I couldn't pass on this 1963 Gibson, would you have?

Just sold a 62 with Schallers, Quan badass, straplocks, and a recent USA hard Case. No breaks or issues, medium fade from red to almost brown on the front. Great guitar, hot p90, original frets worn to about 70% after I crowned them. I paid 1500 in cash when it walked into my store off the...
  22. R

Anyone moving away from effects?

I've had the same forever Vox Clyde McCoy Ep3t echoplex Sobbat phase breaker II Klon centaur (mild boost, touch more mid) 50 watt Marshall with channels chained and a master on the back panel Been getting it done that way for many years
  23. R

Best Vintage-Style Strat <$2000

I have been carrying the Bluesman Vintage guitars and basses in my shop, and have had very positive results. The guitars are produced locally(Spring Hill, TN) which is nice, and the ones I have sold get raves from the guys that have them. They are vintage/relic guitars, and can be had mildly to...
  24. R

So let's say you've got about $1800 to throw at an Explorer...

This is a generalization; and it's a wrong one. The post 83 model, which came with no pickguard, the knobs in a pattern unlike an original, Kahler option, graphic paint options, etc was made from 83-86. SOME of these were alder, but most were mahogany. James Hetfield used a white one throughout...
  25. R

Summer Namm Show

I'll be there tomorrow, gotta shop some distributors for accessories, etc for my store