Search results

1. M

Tele bridge type match problem

I have a Vintique 3 saddle bridge on my tele and I want to replace it with a 6 saddle bridge. Problem is I can't find a bridge plate to match. The 4 screw mounting holes on it are closest to the back of the bridgeplate with the 6 string holes closest to the pickup. The only plate I can find...
  2. M

JTM 45 build

I just finished a JTM 45 kit from Mojo but there are issues. The b+ with only the GZ34 in is near 500 VDC everwhere there is b+. Granted no pre or power tubes are drawing current but shouldn't it go down some past the 10k dropping resisters? Then when I put the pre and power tubes in I got smoke...
  3. M

Stray Capacitance???

i have a champ I rebuilt to a 6G2 with SS rect and cathode bias on the power tubes. my strat gets a subtle tremolo on the 1st and 2nd strings above around the 8th fret. I know it's not cone cry because I've tried different speakers. I thought it was stray capacitance so I made sure all wires...
  4. M

Noiseless Strat Pickup suggestions

I've got Bardens in there now with a Little '59 in the bridge. Barden's are great in my Tele, but they leave something to be desired in my hardtail strat. The Duncan the in bridge is real nice, but the rolloff of the treble is not so nice. I'm looking at Kinmans and Duncans and maybe Bill...
  5. M

Tele is the bottom line

I've been playing over 40 years. First 8 or ten switched from Strat to Les Paul to SG. Then settled on a Strat for 10 or so. Ever since I bought a Tele though, it was and still is the bottom line. Have an ES-135...rarely play it but play my mahogony Les Paul even less. Recently bought an...
  6. M

SG - not the guitar...

SG……My chops are weak in spots. Hey guys,....I'm working on it........but I think the texture works. http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6077686&q=hi
  7. M

Too much power filtering....

What is the downside of too much filtering of the B+? I need to get rid of some more hum and I can't figure out where else to look.
  8. M

I need a GOOD compressor....

My main axe is a Tele with Bardens, and my main amp is one of my own hack jobs (not really..it kicks ass if I do say so myself..), actually a Champ chassis and cab. Chassis modified to (2)6v6 w/ss rect and cathode bias, long tailed driver and Deluxe tone stack, cab cut for a 10 with a 'Lil...
  9. M

Banjo Rolls...love 'em

I'm searching and I'm sure I'll find something. Chet Atkin's calls them banjo rolls, you know, those runs in mostly sharp keys that use open strings and sound absolutely awesome. I can't seem to find the vid I had of him demonstrating them. Been moving around a lot, you know, and I'm not the...
  10. M

"What It Is" -6/8 Blues

“What It Is”. 6/8 Blues. Beta guitar take unprocessed just to get reaction and see how the tune sits. Melody is first chorus. Complete with speed bumps :eek: and all the usual excuses. :rolleyes: Also the backing track with my band for anyone interested. :RoCkIn...
  11. M

Ornette Coleman - what is "Harmolodic"??

I'm fascinated by it, and I find it beautiful. It seems like there is no harmonic consistancy to it but the "dynamics" of volume, timbre and time move consistantly together without without a definable tonality or traditional tonal center. I don't even know if it's meant to be defined with words...
  12. M

Giant Steps in 12 keys thru the cycle

A buddy of mine has this thing where he plays Giant Steps in all 12 keys. The modulation occurs on the last ii-v originally going back to the root, or in the original key the c#-7/f#7/bmaj7. But his trick takes that last ii-v of c#-7/f#7, which is a step below the last resolution to eb and moves...
  13. M

Mike Tremante - "Chill Kitty"

www.soundclick.com/miketremante I used a Champ that I rebuilt into sort of a 6G-2 (volume-tone stack, 2-6V6s, cathodyne driver) but used diodes for a rectifier and cathode bias on the power tubes. There is an 8" Jensen Alnico in it. I played a 90s Tele with Joe Bardens and an old-style 3...