Search results

1. J

So does anyone actually LIKE the DLS?

I just tried out a DLS MkIII. I have read good things, even where some folks had said they didn't like it until they tried the superbass setting, blah blah blah. So I tried it today. Just awful. It sounds like something broke inside it. Horrible, raspy mid-humped squawk with no musical tone...
  2. J

New Gekko clip - you guys asked for it!

Ok - I can't find the thread, but on somewhere someone asked me for a Gekko clip. So I recorded a rough demo with a brand new Rode stereo camera mic on my canon camera. I sent a copy to Himmelstrutz and lo and behold it is now on his website! http://www.himmelstrutz.com/gekko.htm Now...
  3. J

Interesting experience with Skreddy fuzzes

I recently got a Skreddy Lunar Module and a Screwdriver. Both are the deluxe mini versions with 5 knobs. These are some cool pedals! With a Tele or Strat I can see why they are popular. Tons of tones in there. I like how I can sag out the low end or tighten it up, love the range of...
  4. J

Wow - may have found the first Catalinbread pedal I like!

I had vowed to stay away from ever buying any Catalinbread pedals because all the CB pedals I had bought had been almost really good but not quite. I have tried a bunch of their ODs and delays but none did anything for me. But now for the Naga Viper. Wow - it's really good. I am probably a...
  5. J

Celestion G10 Golds

Thought someone out there might be interested in my experience with the 10" Golds. I have loved the 12" Gold since it first came out. It doesn't suit every amp I put in into but when it does it's awesome. Most recently I have been using a homebrew tweed Super that I built so that I could...
  6. J

Do fat 50s sound anything like Fralin Vintage hots?

Just curious because I have Fat 50s in a Strat right now and they sound surprisingly good. I want to get something similar for another Strat but wouldn't mind a tiny bit more bass from the bridge pickup. I could just put Fat 50s in there but if Fralin Vintage Hots sound close I could get the...
  7. J

Why no buzz about the Gekko? It's amazing!

I am very surprised that there is no buzz here about the Gekko delay. I always thought this place prided itself on discovering the best, most obscure pedals around and championing them! :-) Seriously, this delay answers so many wants of guys here - organic, beautiful sounds that feel like...
  8. J

Thinskin Tele - Yeah!

A few months ago I thought dammit I need a Tele. I have had quite a few Teles in my time and some good ones too, including some CS Teles, a '73 thinline, a 1998 Ltd 50s style Tele (actually have had 3 of those!) and even a Dan Smith Tele. Really, all of them have been very good guitars. The...
  9. J

Man I'm loving this "fuzz" - great Strat overdrive

I recently got a 2013 American Strat to try out and I have to say it's actually a pretty good guitar. It comes stock with Fat 50s pickups which I have tried before but in this guitar they really work. I have a love/hate relationship with Strats because they can be so hard to get a fat sound...
  10. J

Burgs pedal demos

I have been interested to see that Burgerman is doing more and more demos these days. He is a very good player and gets a good sound, but whenever i want to see a demo on a particular pedal and he is doing it I know the demo will be useless for me. Problem is, he never turns the bloody gain...
  11. J

Gekko delay - wow.

Just received my Gekko delay today, so obviously I haven't lived with it yet. But just my initial impressions are remarkable. I like two main types of delay. Slapback and a longer, more ethereal delay. So with my Gretsch into a tweed style amp and using some dirt before it sounds amazing...
  12. J

Ernie Ball Cobalts are great!

I've been testing EB Cobalt strings on all my guitars - a Thinskin Tele, a 330, 335 and Les Paul, and my favourite, a Gretsch 6120 SSLVO. On all of the guitars the Cobalts sound bigger and feel a bit softer. I had been told that they were higher tension but that's definitely not my experience...
  13. J

Trying to find something better but can't?

This is getting ridiculous. Completely through boredom and too much spare time, I keep trying to find an overdrive I like better than my two Fettos. I use a Fetto Nord with my Gretsch and a Fetto C-Luxe with my Gibsons and Tele. Anyway I have recently really been enjoying a Maxon RTO700...
  14. J

Dear TC Electronic...

I think I speak for a lot of us here - we love the Flashback X4 but wish it was a lot smaller! I know a lot of guys like the looper but I don't need it. I would be happy with a box the same size or not much bigger than the existing regular Flashback but with two buttons. I like how Empress...
  15. J

Anyone tried a Gretsch centre block Falcon?

I tried a search but found nothing. Surely someone must have tried one of the new Gretsch centre block semis?
  16. J

New amp - kind of a tweed Super... kinda!

Over the summer (northern hemisphere winter) my work is slow so I need a project. So I decided to try to build the smallest, lightest amp I could that would still sound big enough for my current band. What I wanted was a tight, clear clean platform for my dirt box and delay, a very crisp...
  17. J

My gig last night - my best sound ever I think!

I have been playing gigs for about 25 years now - yes I am old! I've played many genres over the years but now have an original band playing rockabilly and jump blues and it is a whole lot of fun. We have a great drummer, upright bassplayer and a singer with a strong voice and she looks cute...
  18. J

Don't hear much about the Maxon RT700 here...

I recently tried a Maxon RT700 "real tube" overdrive. It does use a 12ay7 inside but the glow is mainly orange LEDs! It runs easily off a manly 9V adaptor so I doubt the tube adds much to the tone, but it doesn't really matter because the pedal sounds very good anyway. I was very impressed...
  19. J

Just ordered a Gekko delay!

I thought I'd bite the bullet and get one of these: http://www.himmelstrutz.com/gekko.htm As a massive fan of Himmelstrutz' Fettos I thought - how bad can it be?? So I have thrown caution to the wind and ordered one. I asked Himmelstrutz the question that IV asked - "so wobble varies...
  20. J

New delay - anyone tried this?

http://www.himmelstrutz.com/gekko.htm As some here may know, I am a huge fan of the Fettos. I love the Fetto Nord and C-Luxe, but all of them are good. So I just happened to come across this recently and have heard absolutely nothing about it. The demos are not necessarily the most...
  21. J

Is it just me, or are the demos at wildwood nearly useless?

I really like Wildwood guitars - they are very helpful and stock some amazing guitars I have bought quite a few guitars from there. But the awful demos almost make me NOT want to buy the guitar. Whether it's Greg Koch's playing or the way they mic the amp he manages to make every guitar sound...
  22. J

New Fetto - Best yet and I am done.

I have been a Fetto user for a few years now. A year or so back I went on an OD quest and tried almost everything I could in an attempt to find my perfect OD pedal. Notable good ODs for me have been the Bad Cat Two-tone, Kingsley Minstrel and Jester, Xotic BBMB, various Menatone pedals - I...
  23. J

Mini-epiphany: Gramps+ and tuned down Strat content

I have struggled with Strats for years trying to get fat twangy tones. Others can do it, but not me! I have been spoilt by beautiful Gibsons and Gretsches. So in an almost "last-ditch" effort last week I tried tuning my Strat down a half tone. I've done this before but this time I was...
  24. J

Steel string acoustic for someone who doesn't like steel string acoustics??

I don't own an acoustic guitar - haven't for years. I guess I've never really found one I liked. But I would like an acoustic for around the house. I'm not really interested in pickups or anything. I play electric a lot. I love my 335, my Les Pauls and most of all my Gretsch 6120. I am...
  25. J

Six string effects - anyone tried 'em?

Saw these at Tonefactor.com. http://www.tonefactor.com/effects-by-type/overdrive-distortion/six-string-effects-buzzard-overdrive.html http://www.tonefactor.com/effects-by-type/overdrive-distortion/six-string-effects-chazz-overdrive.html Just curious if anyone had tried them and if...