Search results

1. Glitch Magnet

Oddest Openers

I once saw White Zombie open for Cocteau Twins at Eagles Club, Milwaukee. Weird combo, although I was thrilled to see both bands. Was enlightening observing the calming effect CT had on the previously aggressive WZ fans (those that stayed). What's the weirdest choice of opening act or triple...
  2. Glitch Magnet

Expression Pedal Repeater / Ground Lift Adapter

The Mission Expressionator and Source Audio Reflex are brilliant products. I own both. Their downfall is that they each use a shared ground on all of their expression control outputs, which can create a ground loop and manifest noise problems on some complex pedal boards. This has been my...
  3. Glitch Magnet

Vox AC4C1-12 sudden buzzing

Anyone wanna guess what blew? I was having some fun playing my AC4C1 after some very minor mods. I had played it stock a few times weeks ago after purchasing it new, and all was fine. Today I removed the bright cap from the Master Volume (C20), swapped tubes (V1:New Sensor Svetlana 12AX7...
  4. Glitch Magnet

Compare the Vox AC4HW1 to AC15HW1 or AC15HW1X

Up front, let me stress, I am not interested in hearing about any AC4 or AC15 models other than the HW1 Hand-Wired models manufactured in Vietnam. I've tried to research this through TGP and other places, but there's just too much confusion and deviation between the varying models. I'd be most...
  5. Glitch Magnet

Vox AC15HW1X - Playing intervals cause octave down

I've been playing Voxes for years, and heard this before and ignored it, but I've been messing with tube changes today on my AC15HW1X and really noticing it. Amp is set clean. Les Paul plugged straight in. Speaker is Vox/Celestion Blue. I play a single note on an unwound string. Sounds fine. But...
  6. Glitch Magnet

Ashtray Love & Loyalty

Whatever you feel about it, the venerable Telecaster "ashtray" bridge is an antiquated concept. No one uses the cover that earned the design its nickname. Arguably better, fully intonatable designs are available without those sharp, raised edges, and yet players still seem to prefer the old...
  7. Glitch Magnet

So I modded my Colour Box...

Risky proposition, taking a drill and iron to a $400 pedal. But that's me. I love what this pedal can do with my Vox. But, egad! It is noisy! Even at low gain settings. So, as a straight EQ and clean boost, divine sounding as it is, there's just way too much hiss for studio use. Perhaps as a...
  8. Glitch Magnet

Low-Cap Cable First Impression Not So Good

I've been playing with a 12 ft Canare GS6 cable for years. I recently started thinking about what I might be missing using such high capacitance cable. So I ordered some Sommer SC Spirit LLX cable and Neutrik ends and built myself a couple of 12 footers. They measure in around 250 pF, while the...
  9. Glitch Magnet

De-Esser Pedal???

Has anyone ever made a de-esser pedal? Something like the old dbx 263X? I've used plug-ins to subue the scrapes, squeaks, and clacks in acoustic or bass guitar, so why not a pedal? So much better than just EQ or LPF. I always preferred the 263X to other de-essers. Instead of crude band limited...
  10. Glitch Magnet

Keeley Red Dirt Mini vs. Greer Lightspeed vs. J Coloccia id

I've read way too many threads begging comparisons of this and that overdrive, and I never thought I'd be posting one myself, but here I am. I'm not a big fan of OD pedals, preferring light distortion or fuzz with my AC15HW1X, particularly the Bearfoot EGDMS. But for those moments when I just...
  11. Glitch Magnet

Darkglass Electronics Super Symmetry on Guitar

I'd like to hear from anyone who's tried the Darkglass Electronics Super Symmetry bass compressor on electric guitar or compared it to the Empress. I've been through a variety of comps, and am mostly in love with the Empress. I've determined a blend/mix knob is essential to me, so much that...
  12. Glitch Magnet

Straight-up Pedal Arrangement

Anyone besides me just refuse to position any of your pedals sideways? I know that's how a lot of y'all get your **** to fit. Call me anal retentive, but I just can't do it. Everything's gotta read right-side up for me.
  13. Glitch Magnet

A new universal, modular pedalboard format ... what if?

I've been wondering, what if someone could create a universal modular pedalboard platform, sort of like what API did with the lunchbox and 500 series modules, but in a pedalboard for guitarists? Any manufacturer could develop modules for it, and you could put them in any order and swap them out...
  14. Glitch Magnet

BearFoot EGDM Silver - My Prayers Answered

For the first time in a dozen years, a new pedal has replaced my beloved BJFe Emerald Green Distortion Machine. It's the BearFoot EGDM Silver! DonneR has finally recreated all the magic of the original all-silicon design. With a Vox AC or similar amp, there's just nothing like it. I've tried...
  15. Glitch Magnet

Pedalboard building - hum prevention tip

I hate noise, and I should have known this from my days installing sound systems. I just had to relearn an important lesson while putting together my latest pedalboard. When using a true-bypass looper, the cables that go out and back to and from any given pedal should follow the same physical...
  16. Glitch Magnet

EGDM clone WTF?!

Hey, they can't do this!!! Can they? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Emerald-Green-Distortion-Machine-Clone-Guitar-Overdrive-Effects-Pedal-/181496045950
  17. Glitch Magnet

Jumbo TRS Plug for Insert Cable

I am about to rewire my pedalboard. It is currently wired with Canare GS-6, which I will be replacing with Lava MINI ELC. My pedalboard contains two VooDoo Lab Pedal Switchers. Each has a TRS insert jack between the 3rd and 4th switched loops, which I use to go to a Quasar DLX and a TimeLine...
  18. Glitch Magnet

OD pedals are pointless!

Okay, okay. Sorry. Inflammatory headline aside,... Am I the only one here that finds no use for overdrive pedals? I love dirt and all. My BJFe EGDM and PPF are indispensable. But my AC15HW1X (with the right tubes) sounds fantastic when it's just breaking up, and all I need is a clean boost, or...
  19. Glitch Magnet

Tremolo - VooDoo Love - Looking at The Looker

I've had my VooDoo Lab 4-Knob Tremolo for many years. I can't imagine a more perfect sounding trem. But I keep wanting tap tempo, and wouldn't mind some of the fancier options a lot of new trem pedals have, like additional waveforms and funky rhythms. But I feel like I'd be losing something if...
  20. Glitch Magnet

Anyone have two of the same pedal on their board?

Couldn't find this already addressed. It's interesting to me how we all talk about the versatility of this pedal or that one, but when there's an open space on our pedalboard, we go looking for a totally different pedal. I mean, it's cool that you can twist some knobs and get a whole different...
  21. Glitch Magnet

If you could only use one brand of pedals...

There are so many good manufacturers now with complete lines covering most or all of the major effect types... Bearfoot, Wampler, Empress, Catlinbread, Strymon, Toadworks, JHS, VooDoo Lab, Tech 21, EH, Dunlop/MXR, Fulltone, Malekko, TC, etc. And for every one of them there's probably five...
  22. Glitch Magnet

Washburn Stack in a Box or Rack Derivatives

Back in the late 80's my main dirt (before we called it dirt) came from a Washburn WSR-42 Stack-in-a-Rack. It was essentially (I presume) two Washburn AD-3 or SX:3 Stack-in-a-Box pedals in a single rack space along with a 7-band EQ. I remember it having a natural, open, singing character with...
  23. Glitch Magnet

Empress Compressor noisy with Vox and Blue???

I'm not here to bash the Empress Compressor in any way, but I'm having an issue and I'd like some feedback. I have a Vox AC15HW1X with the Vox/Celestion Blue speaker. So it's a bright amp. But I'm not running it with a lot of gain, and the tone controls are set pretty neutral. For some time...
  24. Glitch Magnet

George Dennis Wah-Volume Switch - Impressions and Tweaks

I'm just breaking in this new pedal, and thought I should share my observations and clear up some questions. In my research, I came across a number of complaints that I believe I can address with a simple tweak or two. I presume these tweaks will apply to the regular George Dennis Volume Pedal...
  25. Glitch Magnet

EGDM owners, what's a low gain equivalent?

BJFe Emerald Green Distortion Machine is the only distortion I use with my AC15, but I only use it with the DIST control set all the way down or nearly all the way down into the Top Boost channel of the amp. The VOICE is set around 9 o'clock. Love the sound, nice transparent drive, but there's a...

Trending Topics