• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Search results

1. kludge

Acoustic guitar pickup shootout!

I recorded this stuff a while back, but finally got around to making a video for it! Comparing a Schertler AG6 (with and without mic), K&K Pure Mini, Dimarzio Angel, and K&K + Angel, plus an Oktava MC012 studio microphone for reference. I tried to address some pet peeves of mine for videos...
  2. kludge

Edgy, arty, instrumental, acoustic-ish...

I'm listening to a lot of vinyl while working from home, and looking for ideas for more things I can buy, especially old vinyl. Here are some of the things I've been spinning a lot... Michael Hedges - Breakfast in the Field Jim O'Rourke - Bad Timing Anthony Phillips - The Geese and the Ghost...
  3. kludge

Working from home and listening to vinyl?

Having to work from home pushed me to deal with my turntable situation. I had moved my old Thorens from the nice solid basement to the living room, and footfalls were making it unusable - even the dogs could skip records. So I got myself a Rega Planar 2 and now all is right with the world...
  4. kludge

Surprise gigging amp this weekend...

Blackstar Fly 3. Seriously. A 3 watt battery-powered amp that probably weighs less than a pound. I was doing low-volume acoustic band gigs and folk jams. The Fly 3, cranked all the way up, responds to the tone controls on a Tele just like a good classic-rock amp. For the actual gigs, I brought...
  5. kludge

The quest for the perfect pick

Yes, this subject has been covered before. Current status: A few months ago, I got two Blue Chips. They're nice, but not ideal for shape and thickness reasons. And what seems like the right Blue Chip to me would be $75... enough to flinch hard. One of the things I learned is that the ideal...
  6. kludge

Does anyone else do this?

Most players seem to change their picking hand behavior when switching between strumming and single notes. One odd thing I've noticed about my own playing is that I also change the angle where the pick strikes the strings. When I'm playing single notes, the pick is pointed down, so the leading...
  7. kludge

Just in case you think gear and room are all that important...

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2020/01/30/billie-eilish-bedroom-studio/?fbclid=IwAR3gpLJnfnBWI2B6ln00X-ngUpmNX4PJ6tpWMxkJMD8HpsyVrkgXrpOMbjc Billie Eilish's When We Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? not only won the Album of the Year Grammy, it won Best Engineered (non-classical). In a sub-$3000...
  8. kludge

NPD - Woodcutter

The best drive pedal I've ever owned is my first pedal, a Rat 2 I bought new in '87, and had Keeley-modded in the early 2000s. But it's old and flaky, has worn out three footswitches, the power jack no longer works, etc... I just can't trust it on a pedalboard. Last time I gigged with it, it was...
  9. kludge

When your favorite pedals are dying...

Putting together a board for a gig, and setting up drives. Lately, my drive arrangement has been Lunar Module (Fuzz Face) > Mo'D clone (Rat) > Boost Killer (RC Boost). But my favorite drive pedals, my Keeley-modded '87 Rat and my HAO Rumble Mod, are in semi-retirement because of flaky switches...
  10. kludge

pickup shootout!

I haven't assembled a proper YouTube video of it yet, but at least I've done the recording for a pickup shootout and drawn my initial conclusions. Conclusion: The Schertler A6 + mic is an excellent, low-hassle pickup solution that beats some top-quality alternatives. The shooters: - Miked...
  11. kludge

Hum canceling Tele pickups?

For many years, I've had an EMG T set with SPC tone control in my favorite Tele. But since switching to an always-on Fuzz Face type pedal, it's been sidelined - the EMGs don't get along with the fuzz at all. So I'm looking for something that's a traditional Tele voice with a beefy rather than...
  12. kludge

On not fussing

It's really easy to overanalyze our sounds. But is it a good use of time and resources? Last night, I did some overdubs on a song the band tracked live-in-studio on monday. I added a replacement vocal, acoustic guitar, and lead guitar to the existing drums, bass, rhythm guitar, and scratch...
  13. kludge

acoustic guitar miking with good rejection?

I'm currently recording a duo with acoustic guitar and viola. I think recording them live rather than overdubbing is important for their performance, but the viola bleeds into the acoustic guitar mic something fierce - bad enough that it makes it very hard to mix. The acoustic player has a...
  14. kludge

Treble booster fussy about fuzz?

I went looking for an alternative dirty boost to go with my fuzzes, brought the Lunar Module along to try with, and wound up with a Moonshot treble booster. It loves the Lunar Module. But when I brought it home, I found out it doesn't get along with the Interstellar Overdriver. At all. Both...
  15. kludge

Vernon Reid on improvisation

Just read this quote, and it warmed my heart... I think genre conventions are to be respected, but that they are there to be played with. Blues, funk, and metal all have phrases that can cross over into other genres. They shouldn’t be chained down. I try to speak through my instrument and see...
  16. kludge

Overdrives with sci-fi names...

Most of the pedals on my board these days have "sci-fi" kinds of names... Interstellar Overdriver, Lunar Module, Sky-Fi, Meteor, Echo Dream, etc. One in particular does not - my overdrive, which is important to me for smoothing and shaping those fuzz tones. So now I'm wondering what overdrives...
  17. kludge

Z90 alternative without the noise?

I've had a Harmonic Design Z90 in the bridge of a Schecter Strat for several years now, mated with a gold foil in the neck. I love the tonal combination (it's like a fantasy Tele sound), but the Z90 is a very noisy pickup in terms of hum. It contrasts hard with the near-silent gold foil. Worse...
  18. kludge

New use for old pedals

I've had a Death by Audio Interstellar Overdriver for a few years now, and it's been an off-and-on denizen of the board. I've also had an HAO Rumble Mod for a lot longer, and it's still my favorite overdrive. One thing I've loved the Interstellar Overdriver is the large, foot-friendly gain knob...
  19. kludge

Painting on top of nitro

I just got a nitro-finished relic I really like, but I want to add additional custom artwork to the finish. What kind of paint will work for that? I don't want to sand or otherwise prep the finish (except for cleaning), and I want it to be durable and not flake off, so something that bonds...
  20. kludge

Does anyone need...

...more than just a fuzz, a wah, and the pentatonic box? Asking for a friend (who is listening to a Spotify list of African psychedelia his spouse is cranking).
  21. kludge

Is a partscaster ever truly finished?

So those of you who build partscasters... do you put it together and then it's done, or do you keep on tinkering, trying to make it even better? How long does it really take to build a partscaster to its ultimate refinement? I just put a new neck on "Kaiju Vomit", a pile of parts that has...
  22. kludge

Miss shredding onstage? Mdou Moctar!

Saturday evening, I got to see Tuareg guitarist Mdou Moctar again. It was a nonstop shred-fest! Mdou is the first Tuareg musician who really gets what "rock star" means. There are lots of great Tuareg guitarists (I think the western Sahara has the best music scene in the world today), but they...
  23. kludge

Affordable, high quality xlr cables?

So far, the right mix of "affordable" and "high quality" eludes me. I'm tired of cables with poor connections. Any recommendations?
  24. kludge

Schaller tuners

I recently got a 1980s-vintage acoustic that has presumably original Schaller M6 tuners on it. They're kind of gummy and stiff and have that "old Schallers" feel to them. So I'm thinking of replacement. Would new Schallers be smooth and solve that gummy feel? Or are there drop-in replacements...
  25. kludge

Like this, but mini?

Trying to make a more portable board... one of the pedals I'm currently loving is the SIB 'Cuda. Great pedal, but too big and heavy! (Not to mention a power hog...) Anything with a similar gain and voicing in the mini world? I'm not expecting to match that tube-driven sound, but want something...
Top Bottom