• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Search results

1. S

Decoupling monitors?

Once again, that makes sense. So basically because of the mass there isn't going to be as much movement meaning that it's kind of acting like the isolation pads as well? Just doing it a bit differently? So we're really looking to get massive amounts of isolation.
  2. S

Decoupling monitors?

OK, stupid question alert. If we are isolating the speaker from whatever it is sitting on, as long as they are aimed properly what's the difference between the desk and a stand? I'm just thinking that being decoupled from whatever it is sitting on eliminates that as a variable. I'm just...
  3. S

Decoupling monitors?

They're on risers on the desk; that should be fine shouldn't it?
  4. S

Decoupling monitors?

That makes a ton of sense.
  5. S

Decoupling monitors?

Long story short, I just bought a set of Yamaha HS80M's. I A/B'd a lot of monitors the last few weeks and these won for me. Now I got them home, hooked them up and have them on a desk a little bit higher than ear level (woofer is right at ear level). I don't have any serious vibration, but I...
  6. S

Our D888 stops recording after exactly 6:31 worth of audio

Is it a new hard drive in there? If so it may be too big or something; I've seen some crazy crap go on with machines and not being able to access large drives. The only thing that I could think of would be if you were trying to re-record a previous track or overdub it, but you said that you've...
  7. S

Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP?

Got it, installed the drivers, plugged in the firewire cable and it just works perfectly. I've only used the SPDIF so far because I haven't made up my cables yet, but it's absolutely silent and sounds good through the headphones. Those little headphone outputs can get stupid loud too which I...
  8. S

Help me with NTFS files?

FAT32 cannot handle files larger than 4 gigabytes. This isn't probably that big a deal with audio, but when dealing with video it was a huge issue for many of us. There's really no reason to not use NTFS even though I have run into issues trying to recover a boot partition from one PC to...
  9. S

Sweet. I just checked the Saffire site and found a lot of great information. They've got a latency checker and a video (my PC's apparently already maximized which I suspected) and they even use the same PCI Latency tool I've been using for years. But the great news is that I found the...
  10. S

Yeah, I wasn't real sure about that part of it, but I watched a few youtube videos about it and it's kind of clever. I would have thought that you would need to have some kind of reference made of the monitors that you are using in order to emulate the other monitors properly, but it's still...
  11. S

Thanks a ton. My onboard firewire port is a TI OHCI compliant IEEE 1394 controller. Hopefully that works ok. I've heard of plenty of people having issues with all kinds of firewire devices using other types of chipsets. Crossing my fingers. I just downloaded all the stuff from the link...
  12. S

Probably stupid to ask after the fact, but I just scored one missing the software (don't care), firewire cable (got a dozen laying around) and no power supply (standard 12VDC 1.25A positive tip) for $179. I would have usually asked around a bit more first, but I didn't think that it'd last very...
  13. S

Ensemble...Axe-FX

Cliff (the guy who makes the Axe-FX) recommends going analog over SPDIF. The AFX doesn't have a word clock input so you will most likely get jitter (I know that I and more than a few others have as well). It's also a consumer inferface and wasn't intended to be used for recording but more for...
  14. S

Looking for monitors...suggestions?

We scored a pair of the HS80M's for a great deal with a price match and we hooked them up last night. Holy crap. We just plugged them up to a laptop real quick using the headphone/line output and put on a Pink Floyd mp3 (not exactly audiophile stuff here, we just wanted to make sure they...
  15. S

Someone else recommended the Mackies. HR824's, but it looks like those are even pricier and now discontinued anyway. I'll take a look into JBL. I've got a set of old JBL monitors at work that are still pretty good. I don't use that studio much though to be honest. I've got an old Crown D75...
  16. S

I just spent a few hours at GC A/B'ing a bunch of monitors. I checked out some KRK's, some m-audio, a pair of Behringers and the Yamaha HS80M. The Yamahas sounded so much better to me that I still can't get over how great they sounded. After hearing them everything sounded like mud or...
Top Bottom