• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Search results

1. Deed_Poll

New Design - Carved Top Semi

I haven't had much time to invest in this today, but in a spare moment I did a quick and dirty mock-up on my phone of how the Mountbatten design would look in a smaller ~15-3/4" width instead of the full 17" (although width is the commonly used reference, the scale factor is applied equally to...
  2. Deed_Poll

Recessed jack socket has been cut and sanding is 95% completed on the Windsor. I also drilled the holes from the pickup routes to the hollow cavity. I made a special vise for the end of my CNC machine bed which is useful for cutting side jacks and strap pin holes cleanly and accurately...
  3. Deed_Poll

Thanks for all the kind comments folks! Mad Kiwi - I've been the same! You know you're getting older when the PRS's start looking reeeeally nice :D I may be getting ahead of myself, but I have so enjoyed working on this 'Half Windsor' small semi-hollow that I decided to try and design a larger...
  4. Deed_Poll

I have about 4 hours of sanding invested in this now! There are still some stubborn, ghostly tooling marks, and I will have to give all the edges some attention tomorrow, then I think I can call the top done. The back and sides still need a lot of work over the next couple of days...
  5. Deed_Poll

I have had some questions regarding the similarity to a PRS Hollowbody so I did a simple overlay to find out - I suppose it is the most similar type of guitar in size and concept. I also hadn't realised I'd adopted an identical control layout - I assumed all PRS HBs had 2V/2T layout, but in...
  6. Deed_Poll

Ok, here it is off the machine for the final time! Wait... Where did it go? Oh, there it is! The top carve came out reasonably well, but the chalky / crumbly stuff is there - and is so weirdly distributed to boot, always on a certain angle but it seems a quite specific and inexplicable...
  7. Deed_Poll

Another forum member very kindly measured a set of D'Addarios for me, and you are quite right - it seems I will have only 1/2" excess to play with! So indeed, locking tuners will be the order of the day! ;) I love the V headstock! I bet a DC Jr with V headstock would have real Brian May vibes!
  8. Deed_Poll

Ok, progress pics! Firstly, the top after machining front and underside: You can see some of the chalky / bobbly surface (though I did push up the contrast to show it, in person it's not as bad). That was before a bit of light sanding just to remove any furry bits that might be tempted to...
  9. Deed_Poll

Hi Tea, the best I can read from my CAD model, the string break angle over the bridge should be 12.5° and that puts it in a fairly good region I think. I made the neck pocket deeper to eliminate the gap under the fretboard overhang and that meant angling the pocket more, so that might have...
  10. Deed_Poll

I suppose I mean mostly the perimeter shape, carve profile and construction - although this will be the first of its kind, it is adaptable to different pickups, bridge and control options as a platform. This one is a bolt-on for my friend's ease of assembly, but if I make it a regular model I...
  11. Deed_Poll

Hello all! I have been working on this small semi-hollow / hollow design for a friend as an opportunity to try some new ideas and brush up on my carved-top modelling skills. He wanted something fully symmetrical, and we decided to blend between a sort of '50s Gibson vibe and a more modern...
  12. Deed_Poll

What are your thoughts on the new Schaller S-Locks? Just tried them out!

I haven't the experience with these, but I found reading your posts about the gradual loosening interesting as it's very similar to the challenge of designing a good vibrato arm! The challenge being that you generally want a piece which can be moved around (to get the arm out of the way...
  13. Deed_Poll

Conversting stop bar to TOM bridge

Hi Neverwhere, I'm a big fan of the Maestro and stoptails! I have a few possible suggestions. 1. Get some locking studs and an intonatable wraparound. TonePros do both and I believe you can get some roller saddles as well. You will then have a fixed bridge with roller saddles that should work...
  14. Deed_Poll

"No one will ever notice".....

Incidentally, I'd be interested to hear what you have to say about this! This is what the top underside of one of my hollow or Thinline bodies looks like when I have an arm contour or carved top. Fender used a 1/4" top and thinned it (not always carefully!) to 1/8" around the f-hole to give...
  15. Deed_Poll

"No one will ever notice".....

You make some great points, Terry! I think another dimension to this is about what specific things you hold dear. My business partner (an engineer) was for a long time trying to convince me to use metal dowels to reference a fretboard to the neck shaft while gluing, entombing them in there...
  16. Deed_Poll

Thoughts from an old sumbitch regarding getting into guitar making in 2019

Excellent post overall, and what you say here is another reason I made sure to build parametric processes into my production design from day 1 to help streamline one-offs with a lot of the benefits of the production work - I change a few values here and there, and besides that I can go through...
  17. Deed_Poll

Higher 'Output' Bridge Pickup - Fatter Coil or Deeper Coil?

Thanks for the link! Very interesting. "Take a look at a bunch of vintage and modern Strat pickups, and you will notice that the extent to which the slugs protrude beyond the plastic covers varies a great deal. Assuming the slugs are all the same length, this indicates that the gap between...
  18. Deed_Poll

I tried to do so in the next two paragraphs but I could probably have been clearer! I understand the word 'reductive' to mean the opposite of 'holistic', so on the traditional side, 'reductive' thinking says "the proper ways to build a musical electric guitar have already been discovered"; and...
  19. Deed_Poll

Set Necks Vs Bolt On - Stress Question

I'm wondering whether some of the perceived difference in sound between a bolt-on and set neck (aside from the constituent that might be ascribed to general Fender vs Gibson differences - principally scale length and ferrous vs. magnetic pole pieces) might be down to stress? There's a big...
  20. Deed_Poll

Higher 'Output' Bridge Pickup - Fatter Coil or Deeper Coil?

I'm in the exciting position of having almost finished designing the bobbins and covers for a three-pickup (single coil) guitar to send them off to Marc at Mojo Pickups (UK) for winding. My philosophy was to try and bridge the gap between a Jazzmaster coil and a Strat coil, making it flatter...
  21. Deed_Poll

Very interesting post and - I'm sure we will all agree - from a singularly reputable source! For me this is a very complex question indeed and where I might disagree with Terry on some aspects it is with great trepidation, for one disagrees with a seasoned expert at great peril even in matters...
  22. Deed_Poll

1.625 vs 1.650 nut question

I design the neck as one continuous taper right to the heel, but by my calculations the difference between 1.650 and 1.625 by the time it gets to the start of the neck pocket is about 4 thousandths. I will often cut several neck pockets with the same tool following the same toolpath on the same...
  23. Deed_Poll

What's your philosophy re: pickups and electronics?

Wow, that's stunning work Terry! Thanks for sharing your thoughts as well. I'm really interested in hearing more about those EQ circuits! Since I discovered the treble bleed mod, I was just staggered at how something so simple (and completely passive!) could offer such a marked improvement over...
  24. Deed_Poll

What's your philosophy re: pickups and electronics?

Thanks for your replies everyone! I ask because when I design a guitar I tend to start with the aesthetic and add / remove knobs until it looks right to me. Usually that leads to either a 2V/2T setup or a master V/T setup. Or with a three pickup, usually a master V/T and Jaguar style hex plate...
Top Bottom