• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Search results

1. Bankston

Which Band is the Heir Apparent to Rush?

Rush was on the top of the prog rock world for much of their career. This thread is not intended to be a comparison between Rush and any other act. The question is which band is the heir apparent as the current best progressive rock band in the world? My vote goes to Opeth. What say you TGP?
  2. Bankston

Volbeat's Cover of Metallica's "Don't Tread on Me"

Two favorite TGP topics: (1) covers that are just as good or better than the original and (2) bands that make a cover "their own." Volbeat's recent cover of "Don't Tread on Me" checks both those boxes for me. By adding their trademark swing, Volbeat put some energy into a trudging riff and...
  3. Bankston

Instrumental song: "Ramberget"

After playing guitar for 38 years, I figured it was time to write an instrumental. It's a Demo with drum loops and there's plenty of slop to go around, but anyway, it's called Ramberget. Would love to hear feedback, good, bad or indifferent. Thanks!
  4. Bankston

A New Straight Up Rock n' Roll Song

From Danish rockers Volbeat. I can't remember the last time I heard a sax solo and piano in a new rock song on the radio. Love it. Volbeat is a cool band with a broad range from metal to punk to rockabilly/psychobilly to straight up rock n' roll. This one is from a couple of years ago:
  5. Bankston

New-ish Bands with Eighties Glam Metal Sound

I was a teenaged metalhead in the 80's. Still occasionally listen to music from that era when I'm feeling nostalgic. But I stumbled across Big City from Norway and I'm digging what I hear. Any other new-ish bands playing 80's style melodic metal that's not made up of musicians from that era?
  6. Bankston

George Lynch's First Full-Length Instrumental Album

Will drop on August 20. This is something I've long wanted to hear. His instrumentals through the years have been excellent.
  7. Bankston

UPDATED: Iron Maiden Senjutsu is Out Now

Up the irons! \m/
  8. Bankston

Nordic Metal Musicians Cover Movie Tunes

My FB friend from Sweden turned me onto these covers of movie songs recorded by a group of Nordic metal musicians. You can tell they're having fun while producing outstanding covers of these songs. I spotted Björn Strid from Soilwork, Pontus Norgren from Hammerfall, and Pontus Egberg from...
  9. Bankston

Billy Gibbons is Underrated . . .

. . . at playing slide. His touch on those super light gauge strings is unreal. So this thread can be about . . . 1. Reactions to Billy's slide playing; 2. Other guitarists who aren't known as slide players but are also awesome at it; 3. Other guitarists who are underrated at...
  10. Bankston

Reimagining Enter Sandman

These are pretty brilliant rearrangements:
  11. Bankston

The Day the Music Died . . . 62 Years Ago

3 Feb 1959 In remembrance of Buddy Holly, J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson and Ritchie Valens. The number of musicians who emerged from Lubbock and Beaumont, Texas is impressive for a couple of podunk college towns. Buddy and Bopper's legacy has everything to do with it.
  12. Bankston

Doctors and Lawyers in Well-Known Bands

David Andersson is a Swedish guitarist who plays for Soilwork and the Night Flight Orchestra. He's also a practicing medical doctor and holds a Ph.D. Jon Levin has played guitar in Dokken for many years. He is also a practicing entertainment lawyer. Any others?
  13. Bankston

If This is Where the Blues is Going . . .

then consider me excited. I love everything about this song. I just hope kids connect with it and not just bald, middle-aged white dudes like me.
  14. Bankston

Sammy and Mike Pay Tribute to EVH

Man, seeing Mike cry on stage before Right Now says it all:
  15. Bankston

New Maiden Live Album Dropping on 11.20.20

Finally something to look forward to this year. Up the Irons \m/
  16. Bankston

Appreciation Thread: Swedish Guitarists Not Named Malmsteen

Since recently confirming my Swedish ancestry through DNA testing, I've been doing a deep dive into Swedish hard rock and metal acts. My ancestors lived in the Gothenburg area, so I've especially taken an interest in all the bands from there. The death growls and harsh screaming are a barrier...
  17. Bankston

The Art of the Riff 2015-2020

Sometimes it seems like great riffs that really stand out as hooks in a song are in scarce supply these days . . . or maybe I'm just an old man yelling at clouds. Anyway, post some great riffs in songs that were released in the last 5 years. This is the song that inspired the thread. Off...
  18. Bankston

NGD: Hagstrom Viking Deluxe

I've taken an interest in Hagstrom guitars recently and I've been learning about the history, models, etc. I was planning to wait for the right vintage model, either a Viking or Swede, but this popped up and I got that feeling . . . that instant gratification gotta have it feeling. 2011 Viking...
  19. Bankston

Help a MIDIot with H&K Grandmeister Deluxe 40

I just bought an H&K Grandmeister Deluxe 40 and I'm digging the sounds and technology. The manual says you can use any MIDI foot controller and I want to use a Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro with it. I have a basic understanding of MIDI but not a lot of experience. I've got the GCP and the...
  20. Bankston

Garth Brooks: The Road I'm On

This A&E Biography series is available on Netflix and I'm trying to get through it because I'm a fan and I lived through his meteoric rise to superstardom. He was the first country artist to achieve Elvis/Michael Jackson/Madonna/Beatles level fame. His impact and legacy are still being felt...
  21. Bankston

The Kids Are Gonna Be All Right

Remember the little girl who slayed that cover of 46 & 2 many years ago with the O'Keefe Music Foundation? She hasn't grown out of being a metalhead apparently. Seeing these kids rocking out in this video made me happy. O'Keefe is continuing to do great work with these young musicians. And...
  22. Bankston

Signature Model Guitars that Never Happened

For decades it seemed like a no brainer to me that Fender should do a Brad Gillis signature model red Strat with a Floyd. But it never happened. Instead, Fernandes issued a reasonable facsimile thereof. What are some other signature models that you wanted to see come to market?
  23. Bankston

Cease and Desist: "Pre-Lawsuit" PRS Singlecut

Dear PRS Singlecut owners. Please CEASE and DESIST using the term "pre-lawsuit" to describe your PRS Singlecut. The following does not apply to the Singlecut Trem or Tremonti models. PRS introduced the Singlecut in January 2000 in advance of Winter NAMM. The primary distinctive features were...
  24. Bankston

The Reverend and Hammett Pay Tribute to Peter Green

Billy on vocals on Green Manalishi with the Two-Pronged Crown. Kirk playing Greenie.
  25. Bankston

Selena: 25 Year Anniversary of Last Concert

People around the country may not know this but the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo (a/k/a Rodeo Houston) is kind of a big deal around here. It lasts for 2.5 weeks and features some of the biggest names in music performing in NRG Stadium every night. It kicks off every year with a huge BBQ...
Top Bottom