• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Search results

1. Aquinas

Found something the Helix can't really do - Octavia into Fuzz Face

I've been messing around trying to duplicate my old (2005, for me) analog rig for S&G, and I ran into something that I didn't ever try before. I used a Foxrox Captain Coconut 2 on my board for many years - still have it - and it goes Octavia into Fuzz Face (into Univibe, but that isn't the...
  2. Aquinas

Why the visceral hate for locking tuners?

I was on a different forum - notably one with a lot of [*ahem*] traditionalists (even more than here, per capita) - and the question of locking tuners came up, specifically on a 335. There were a lot of visceral "I HATE THEM" responses almost immediately! Personally, I don't think they are...
  3. Aquinas

Foxrox CC Hybrid 2 Quick'n'Dirty demo

Just a quick little demo I did to show the cleanup ability and amazing clarity this, my very favorite Fuzz Face, has. All gear details are in the video and description.
  4. Aquinas

FRFR or other options for Bass?

I have a new project coming up where it looks like I’ll be swapping instruments a lot, including playing “bass” (actually Bass VI, but same freq range) for about a third to half of the time. I’ll also be playing guitar (standard and D standard) and baritone (B to B, likely). Sounds will be...
  5. Aquinas

AX8 v Helix Questions: Mid Gain, Specific Amps, looking for experience

I’m considering either an AX8 or a Helix (full, not LT, as the “Scribble Strips” are something I’d really want) for my temporary “exile-without-amps” period over the next few months. I’ve read through most of the threads on both, here and on their respective forums, but I’m left with some...
  6. Aquinas

Who else uses “oddballs” as their main [electric] guitars?

What I mean here by “oddball”, basically, is a guitar that is slightly weird for the style you play. So, no Telecasters, Strats, or Les Pauls; no 335’s if you play blues (though if you play metal…), no RG’s/S-Series/Schecters if you play metal, and so on. Derivatives are fine (example: Hamer...
  7. Aquinas

The Kemper and "Non-Standard Distortion" - Anyone have any luck with an Ampeg?

This is not about the Axe-FX vs Kemper crap. So take it elsewhere! This is also not a Kemper bashing thread - I have real observations, from experience, and a genuine question. So don't bother coming to your beloved KPA's defense - no one is attacking it!!! I've been playing around with...
  8. Aquinas

Anyone tried the Digi Core Audio drivers in Lion yet?

I record in Logic, almost exclusively (I use Reaper sometimes, for quick and dirty), and I have had no problems with my somewhat hasty upgrade to Lion. Logic 9.1.4 works fine, as does my Apogee Symphony I/O and Maestro 2 - I also figured out some workarounds for my original Duet and Maestro 1...
  9. Aquinas

Singing Guitar Player - thinking about rackmounting everything - Bad Idea?

Ok, so I've now been convinced to sing in the band my roommate and I are putting together. The problem is, not only am I a notorious tap-dancer, I also am using a TC Helicon Voicelive 2 for various things, so that within a song there is a good possibility that I have to hit 10+ footswitches...
  10. Aquinas

335 Pickup GAS: Barden, TV Jones, or just leave 'em stock?

I LOVE the way my '84 335 plays. I've modded it quite a bit - when I got it, it had a factory-installed Kahler term, needed new frets, and had the stock 300k/100k wiring. I kept the Shaw PAFs in it, but have filled the Kahler rout, regretted with 6150 frets, made a new bone nut, put Sperzel...
  11. Aquinas

Installed Bardens in my HSS Parker - Impressions, w/Video (of sorts)

I'll get it out of the way up front: Installing Bardens in a Parker is a PITFA. They are delicate pickups, not really designed to body mounted, so the amount of work involved is substantial! There will be a video of what they look and sound like embedded at the end - pardon the string...
  12. Aquinas

How much do your electrics weigh?

As I was inventorying my electrics, figuring out which ones to sell (check the emporium in a couple of days!), I decided to weigh all the "keepers". I was a bit surprised at the results! Here's what I found: (in pounds) 5.5 Parker DF842 7.1 PRS Custom 22 Soapbar 7.4 Rickenbacker 330/6...
  13. Aquinas

NGD: 2006 (NOS) Rickenbacker 330/6 Review (AKA, Where have you been all my life?)

I know, Rics don't get too much love - the idiosyncrasies are too much for most people. I've always loved the way they look, but always assumed the sound was not for me - well, not exactly what I was looking for. That, and I always had heard how difficult they are to play and unreliable they...
  14. Aquinas

[REVIEW]: Callaham ABR-1, Faber Locking Tailpiece on an 80's ES335

(Sorry, no pics for now - I'll get them up when my camera is charged) [I usually lurk on the Effects forum, but I thought you guys would like to hear about this] There has been much discussion about replacing Nashville bridges on 80's and newer Gibsons here and elsewhere - I recently did the...
  15. Aquinas

NP(s)D: Diamond Marquis Treble Booster and Memory Lane Jr. Delay

Okay, so I didn't get them today, but I've had them a couple of days to try out, so I thought I'd give a bit of a review. I've always loved Diamond pedals - I have all of them, minus some limited editions and the modulation pedals (which, while excelent, are a little too "subtle" for my...
  16. Aquinas

Digital Delays: Empress Superdelay vs. Eventide Timefactor vs. Line 6? vs. Nova??

So I've got Analog delay covered with my Diamond ML2 and my vintage DMM (along with a couple of others). What I'm looking for now is a digital delay with clear, accurate repeats, that isn't harsh, and has a delay time somewhere around 1.5 seconds. Having more "vintagey" modes would be nice as...
  17. Aquinas

Phasers - Cusack vs Empress (vs Moog)

So, my Malekko phaser sounds great - it has taken all comers in throbyness, thus far, and I really like the feel - but it doesn't have much headroom, and it has for some reason been picking up radio stations. This latter problem, which I attribute to location rather than problem (wahs do the...
  18. Aquinas

VHT/Fryette Valvulator as a pedal buffer?

Where did the talk of these go? T1M's buffer and Wampler's buffer seem to be all people are talking of these days 'round these parts. Anyway, does anyone here have any experience using a Valvulator? I'd call Steve or Dave and talk to them about it, but I know they'll be able to convince me...
  19. Aquinas

NAD: Fryette Memphis, first impressions

On Friday I picked up the Memphis that has been langouring at Tone Merchants for a while. Having had it for a couple of days now, these are my initial impressions: A LOUD 30/18 watts, almost as loud as my Bad Cat Black Cat that is sitting right next to it. The 18 watt switches really effect...
  20. Aquinas

Diamond Fireburst, 3 weeks in, Impression

I picked up a Diamond Fireburst "fuzz" from Mesa Hollywood a few weeks ago, and have had enough time with it to really get to know it. First thing: Why call it a fuzz? It has more in common with a Rat than any other fuzz I could name, though it does have a tad of the MK3 feel to it as well...
  21. Aquinas

Luthier in LA - PRS nut slot low & perhaps fret work...

My PRS Custom 22 Soapbar, which is my main guitar by a mile, has an annoying yet common problem. The nut slot is cut a little too low on the A string for the 11's I prefer - it didn't use to be a problem, but I suspect my *ahem* vigorous use of the tremelo has worn it down some. I've only had...
  22. Aquinas

Thinking of going Axe-FX: Midi controller suggestions?

I am thinking of picking up an Axe-FX ULTRA, 2 Atomic Wedges, and a controller of some kind. What is the best option as far as controllers go? I want simple. Also expression pedals - which one? Are there any controllers that I can plug the pedals into, CAE-style? I am really inexperienced...
  23. Aquinas

EHX Clones - there really are a lot of 'em, aren't there

I was just looking at my board, and I realized that I had 4 clones/re-imaginings of Electro-Harmonix pedals on there: Hartman Analog Flanger - Electric Mistress AnalogMan Clone Chorus - Small Clone Earthquaker Hoof - Green Russian Big Muff Pi Malekko Phaser - Small Stone ...Along with...
  24. Aquinas

Reverb pedal...

So, what are my options for reverbs? I have a Verbzilla around here somewhere... I guess I could never get along with it, for some reason. What other options are there? Price, as always with me, is not an issue. Here's the ones I can think of: Neunaber Wet Malekko Chicklet Strymon Dr...
  25. Aquinas

Diamond Memory Lane 2 "Spaceship" Mode - Wow!

So I've had my ML2 for about a month now, and I just got around to trying the spaceship mode - it is a pain to pull it off the board (industrial strength Velcro) and open up the 6 screws, so I just got around to it. Wow! As Aimish has said, it really makes it more "Airy" and "Open" sounding...
Top Bottom