• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Search results

1. Terry McInturff

Addressing ringing behind the nut

Your #3 is a good choice. The D string shouldn't be much trouble unless the floor of that nut slot is the wrong angle (common).
  2. Terry McInturff

NGB: McInturff Carolina

Many many thanks to all for these very kind comments! I'm currently dealing with shipping the guitar to Tasmania. Exportation from the USA has gotten very much more complicated!!! URGGGH
  3. Terry McInturff

curious about ES-336 neck joint

Get out the drafting table and all things neck angle, etc, will be revealed! Instead of worrying about the neck angle in terms of degrees, minutes, and seconds, perhaps a simpler approach will work better for you. Again, you can figure this out at the drafting table. As a suggestion, think...
  4. Terry McInturff

curious about ES-336 neck joint

My two cents, with respect for differing opinions, The 336 neck joint is unreasonably complex... and to no good end. 1) Given the fact that trapped air/glue-filled gaps are the enemy of a great neck joint, by my count there are 16 separate surfaces that need to be crafted perfectly, for a...
  5. Terry McInturff

Absolute final buff strategies

The 3M Perfect It is good stuff. The Menzerna Micro Polish is really good. There's no need to be concerned about foreign material becoming embedded in the finish by means of using a buffing jack. However, there's a strict routine with those and I haven't seen anything on the Internet that I...
  6. Terry McInturff

Luthiers: what's on your workbench?

A view of the good 'ol TCM Zebra NutTM....one of my 1980's ideas that I've held onto.
  7. Terry McInturff

Anybody ever put stratty pickups in a TCM Empress?

Great question! I designed the Empress in the mid 1980's and that model was in production through 2001. During that time period, there weren't the plethora of custom pickup makers such as there are today; DiMarzio was the only source who could reliably build me custom-spec pickups. Today...
  8. Terry McInturff

Absolute final buff strategies

What finish product are you buffing? Have you considered purchasing a stationary buffing jack?
  9. Terry McInturff

Specification measurements

You are most welcome my friend.
  10. Terry McInturff

Specification measurements

This would refer to the distance betwixt the top of the fret crown to the bottom of the string, when the guitar is being held in playing position.
  11. Terry McInturff

Drying time for laminated neck blanks.

Another couple of tips for multiple laminate necks: machine the mating surfaces so that they require the most minimal clamp pressure to join. A gap that needs to be clamped shut = not good. You can lay the two pieces in position and pull the top piece straight up and actually feel a tad of...
  12. Terry McInturff

Bench #4 in disarray...only one object remains perfectly clean...massive shop cleanup and upgrade approaches (thank goodness!). TCM Spellcaster in Purple Trans Nitro.
  13. Terry McInturff

Drying time for laminated neck blanks.

My two cents? 1) Start with wood that is kiln dried to <8% moisture content. Verify via quality moisture meter. 2) A neck billet is a pretty hefty chunk of wood. If using water based glue (ie, aliphatic resin, etc) water is trapped deep inside the billet and must be allowed to escape. 3)...
  14. Terry McInturff

Cherry Trans TCM Carolina Custom...heading for Tasmania. -Acoustic voicing #2
  15. Terry McInturff

Removing and refreting a guitar with necking binding

With great respect for differing opinions.... I haven't pulled a "cold fret" in decades. I always heat the fret, glued or not. As @walterw mentioned, I use a modded soldering gun for the heating. The left hand guides the heater whilst the right hand follows directly behind with the nippers...
  16. Terry McInturff

If I wanted a knob and a pickup switch to occupy the same place, what are my options, rotary switches, tog pots..?

As a performer I find rotary switches to be a tad inconvenient onstage..a bit hard to keep your eyes on the crowd, etc...just me! That strat knob/switch combo looks like a great idea, but I don't remember how may poles the switch is, nor the stated number of activations (ie, how long it will...
  17. Terry McInturff

Discoloration of Martin Finish - How to Fix?

This^^^ first and if no joy, Maguire #7 on a microfiber cloth + elbow grease. If it's not tape residue the tape removed a thin layer of amber glaze (cigarette smoke?). Rub it off and blend it in
  18. Terry McInturff

Clean headstock break but pieces apart for more than 1 year: additional prep steps?

As a "PS" to the above ^^^, I always caution against repeating the mistake that I made too often in my early career, namely that of "dry-fitting" too much, particularly with a completely separated headstock break with any amount of squared off endgrain snapping. Very often with these things...
  19. Terry McInturff

Clean headstock break but pieces apart for more than 1 year: additional prep steps?

Every break is different (obviously) and so there are tiny nuances to consider on a case-by-case basis. Of course there are general procedures to follow regarding any splinters, micro-cracks, "debriding the wound", aligning the parts, maintaining that alignment when gluing up, clamping...
  20. Terry McInturff

Mcinturff polaris vs. Glory

Many thanks for these comments, especially the tonal comment which is spot-on! The late '90s TCM Glory (semi hollow) was what I've long since referred to as being, actually, a "semi-solid" design. In other words, the body's semi-solid construction lends an air...acoustically and amplified...
  21. Terry McInturff

Melancon question

I know that what follows diverts from the OP's specific question, and for this I apologize in advance. Seeing Gerard's name reminds me of the few times that he and I met, and under what circumstances. I first met Gerard at..maybe..the second NAMM show I'd displayed at (winter show/Anaheim...
  22. Terry McInturff

Hello again, Your reply is most informative and I do appreciate that! I think that your questioning the semi-hollow construction is a very reasonable train of thought. The TCM Glory was originally a solid body design, but at one point I decided to offer a chambered version as well. I had...
  23. Terry McInturff

Many thanks for your interest in my work from that time period 1996-2001! The Glory and the Polaris were models that were central to my initial launch of the TCM brand back in 1996; the Glory "chassis" was primarily developed in the latter '80's and a number of my earlier models...the Empress...
  24. Terry McInturff

FS Maple on Cedar Thinline T-style body - gorgeous natural finish - 2 lbs, 12 oz.

With the greatest respect, While I am honored to mentioned in such a way, I would like to point out a couple of things. 1) A number of TCM Carolinas have indeed been made with Spanish Cedar (mostly 10 years ago), but the vast majority utilize Honduras Mahogany. Spanish Cedar can be very good...
Top Bottom