• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Search results

1. M

GFS pickups thread

A friend has a PRS SE Soapbar so I helped him drop a pair of Nashville Hot Minitrons in it. They really sound sweet. They have nice sweet, sparkly top end without sounding harsh in the least. LOVE them and will likely use them in one of my guitars soon.
  2. M

GFS lil killer 15k?

They don't have the low-end booty of a full sized humbucker, and you'll never forget that you're playing a Strat, but they certainly pack a lot more wallop than a stock single-coil. My other main guitar is a Les Paul Studio that sounds huge, so it's not a completely fair comparison. It has...
  3. M

GFS lil killer 15k?

I have the full set. They're dead quiet with a lot of low end and a nice touch of Stratiness. If I had a complaint, it would be that they're a just bit dark, but I haven't changed pots and caps yet.
  4. M

New Gibson Studio Question...

You might try some Virtuoso cleaner. I hate baby powder because it tends to cake up if your hands sweat at all.
  5. M

guitar polish

Virtuoso is my fave. Even more than the polish, I LOVE their cleaner. I often just use it and pass on the polish. It's a little spendy but very well worth it.
  6. M

Suggestions on a 5+ guitar stand

I got one of these. It works great if you need something portable. http://www.rondomusic.com/gsc2203.html
  7. M

Epiphone Alleycats and Wildcats Please tell me about them

I had an AlleyKat and I regret seling it. It could have been a really cool guitar with a few little mods. The neck shape was really nice; it felt to me a lot like a mid-70's L.P. Custom. I probably would have liked it even more with a nitro finish. I think the heavy poly on it really deadened...
  8. M

I know everything affects tone, but this might be taking it too far...

Why bother? The resale value is already shot in the butt.:banana:banana
  9. M

I know everything affects tone, but this might be taking it too far...

If I ever get to the point where the absence or presence of plastic on my pickguard is the determining factor between a good night and a bad one, I'll quit playing.
  10. M

You get what you pay for. True with GFS p'ups?

I haven't, but I do know a guy on another forum who has a boatload of Tele's, and he says that the one with GFS Lil' Punchers compares very favorably with the one that has Bardens. YMMV, of course.
  11. M

You get what you pay for. True with GFS p'ups?

I just dropped a set of Lil' Killers in my Strat, and I love 'em. Better yet, they were on clearance, so I got a set of 3 pups for $45 shipped.
  12. M

what this white strat looking thing in Bruces band

It's a Hamer, but I'll be dipped if I can remember the specific model. I looked on ebay and the Hamer site and couldn't find one, but I definitely remember the guitars.
  13. M

What Les Paul Models have Chunky Neck and Are Medium/Lightweight?

Some may disagree, but I love the Studios, especially the early '90's models. Nice '59 neck carve, slightly lighter weight, and I love the "no frills" appearance without binding. I have a '91 that I just love, and it gets more playtime (currently) than my '69 Deluxe.
  14. M

How much should a beat-up Studio LP go for?

I'd jump at it. Solid woods, no veneers, nitro finish-in short, same price as an Epi, twice the guitar, even if it is used/aggressively loved.
  15. M

Gibson Pron - let's see it!

'91 Studio and '69 Deluxe
  16. M

Show us your Les Pauls

PAF, you're KILLING ME!!!!
  17. M

Does it make sense to buy inexpensive guitars when you’ve got nicer guitars on hand?

Yes. I bought a '91 Les Paul Studio as a back-up to my '69 Deluxe, and I use the Studio a lot more. It just suits my needs better for what I'm doing right now. The Deluxe is still a mighty fine instrument, but the Studio is my current go-to axe.
  18. M

Show us your Les Pauls

Stunning!!
  19. M

Opinion of the Gibson LP Studio

I have a '91 that I absolutely LOVE. It has the loudest acoustic tone I've ever heard on a solidbody. I will agree that they can be inconsistent, quality-wise. On a lot of the early 90's models, the tuners went south pretty quickly. I just put a set of Kluson Tonepros locking tuners on mine...
  20. M

Epiphone 1958 Korina Flying V / Explorer

I've never owned one, but I've played several and the necks always feel really chunky, just like I like 'em.
  21. M

Replacement (locking) tuners for Gibson SG Classic

These might work. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kluson-KB3L-Keystone-Locking-Tuning-Machines-3-PerSide-Bolt-Bushing?sku=300225
  22. M

Gibson SG in Pelham Blue????

The Easton has a Maestro Vibrola tailpiece with a Tiki engraved on it, instead of the stop tailpiece. Might not be an Easton after all.
  23. M

Gibson SG in Pelham Blue????

Elliott Easton.
  24. M

Are there downsides to locking tuners?

I'm thinking really strongly of putting the Kluson locking machines on my L.P. Studio. Anybody tried them? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kluson-KB3L-Keystone-Locking-Tuning-Machines-3-PerSide-Bolt-Bushing?sku=300225
Top Bottom