• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Search results

1. guitarrob

Help studio Monitors. SSD Single Sided Deafness

I have this problem also. I still find benefit in monitoring with stereo speakers, focusing my good ear on the individual speakers to hear the content to judge balance. It’s not fun, but I think necessary to provide stereo content for the end listener.
  2. guitarrob

Should I EQ My Guitar or My Vocal on This Song?

I agree with everybody. Nice job - 2nd mix is much better!
  3. guitarrob

Should I EQ My Guitar or My Vocal on This Song?

I agree with Sws1. Would open up the top end on your vocal a bit - high frequencies - maybe in 12K to 16K range to give it some air. I personally would take a little out of the 300-400 range also to get rid of the slight wooliness in the vocal. I would definitely compress both the vocal and...
  4. guitarrob

Fractal FM3 preamp vs. UA Apollo preamp vs. regular mic preamp

I recently did a hardware Vintech X73 comparison with the UAD 1073 plugin Unison preamp on my Apollo 8. I engaged the EQ but without any boosts or cuts. On a single sound source, (I recorded a vocal) the difference was nearly imperceptible. In a blind shoot out, it would be tough to tell the...
  5. guitarrob

Vintech X73

I can see the benefits of owning the hardware for sure, and more and more I find myself recording with the perfect amount of gain, EQ and compression on the way in. 9 times out of 10, I feel my mixes are better when I have less processing to do in the mix. That said, I think the UAD stuff is...
  6. guitarrob

Vintech X73

That sounds great. I don't own any hardware that will give me that amount of crunch, but I can see where it would be useful. Have done similar using plug ins on parallel busses, but I can clearly hear the rich harmonics of the tube distortion. At $3K, I don’t think I’d get enough use out of...
  7. guitarrob

Vintech X73

That’s awesome, This is a while back, but I tracked vocals and guitars on an entire record once only using a Great River pre and it turned out great. I remember that It definitely produced a Neve-Like fatness but sounded a little more open overall, which I really liked for acoustic guitar...
  8. guitarrob

Vintech X73

Wow, that sounds really interesting, I thought the Chandler TG-2 we’re supposed to get crunchy with gain up, but this sounds like it’s on another level. For me, gained up Neve is about as far as I usually go, but it would be fun and useful to have that kind of color. I did a vocal tracking...
  9. guitarrob

Vintech X73

Not familiar with the Chandler Little Devils. You mention their versatility, what is this preamp based on, if anything, and what sources did you like them best for? I have 2 spaces open in my API lunchbox!
  10. guitarrob

Vintech X73

Great points made. Your guitar amp analogy is a good one. I own several nice vintage amps in storage. I suspect if I took them out and turned them on today, I would find a multitude of problems. Obviously, they require regular use and maintenance. Same thing with vintage recording gear. The...
  11. guitarrob

Best Ways to Improve Home Studio / Recording Setup?

Not an expert on this, but I believe it’s the really low output mics like the SM7B that benefit from the Cloud Lifter when plugged into a mic pre that does not have a lot of gain on tap. I use my SM7B with either a Neve clone or an API 512C, and both provide ample, low noise gain. The API gain...
  12. guitarrob

What's your workflow and why?

I agree with this. Templates are incredibly important to to get up and running quickly. This allows me to have the same mixer layout each time, with appropriate plug ins and vi’s already inserted on the channels and basic panning set from the get go. For me, it’s all about being set-up and...
  13. guitarrob

Goodbye yamaha hs7s, hello?

Are used monitors out of the question? If not, I’d suggest a pair of Dynaudio BM5A - they generally go for $400-$500 a pair used. I went from over 20 years of Yamaha NS-10, got tired of the fatigue like you, and landed on the BM5A’s - still happy after many, many years of use.
  14. guitarrob

Vintech X73

On this we can agree. As cool as it might be to have an old vintage Neve module or two in my rack, I guess what sits in my studio currently, will tell you that I agree with your assessment - a couple of Vintech X73’s and a pair of newer API 512c’s. You cannot beat consistency and reliability...
  15. guitarrob

What's your next mic?

My most recent purchase was a Shure SM7B, which I should have purchased a long time ago. Sounds great on my voice. Most of my vocal mics are a little on the dark side, would like to purchase a LDC with a nice airy top end for variety.
  16. guitarrob

Vintech X73

Yeah I agree with all of the above, except timeline - the re-packaging and clone thing definitely started in the early nineties, maybe even as early as the late eighties. My Vintech’s were built in ‘93 - build date is written right inside. Also, I bought my first good preamps, second hand...
  17. guitarrob

Best Ways to Improve Home Studio / Recording Setup?

For recording guitar - probably going to get killed here, but 90% of the time, I use a modeler. An Avid 11 rack at that. I use this unit for several reasons. #1 the original reason, super easy to use the SPIDF output to record one modeled and one DI track at the same time. #2 when i first...
  18. guitarrob

UA Unison Pre's VS Hardware - I'm at a fork in the road

Good point. I only have 4 quality mic preamps - 2 channels of Vintech and 2 channels of API. We’ve been discussing tracking live drums in my room (if a 4 pc. Kit will even fit), but if we do, chances are I’ll use my API’s for inside kick and top snare, Vintech’s for overheads, and 4 unison...
  19. guitarrob

Interesting bass trap observation

Very creative. I think that knowing what I know now, rather than buy bass traps, I’m going to concoct some homemade bass traps out of something I already have. And hopefully, something that will be of some use in the studio. My first thought was putting a couple of tall cylindrical 4 ft...
  20. guitarrob

Vintech X73

That’s for sure, but i think the fact that many were forced to track with the Mackie 8 bus series and ADATs beginning in the early 90’s, spawned the whole Neve re-packaging and Neve clone industry.
  21. guitarrob

Vintech X73

Thats an interesting thought. Actually I think the Art VLA compressor has a little of that secret weapon rep. Though it doesn’t go for premium prices, I’ve seen them in enough pro studios and heard enough people talking favorably about them enough that it might deserve That rep. I used to own...
  22. guitarrob

Interesting bass trap observation

I recently set up a studio in a spare bedroom of my house. I put up a few fiberglass acoustic panels at the first point of reflection, but I largely kept the room untreated figuring I’ll treat as I go along. Because the space is quite small, I leaned a few thick gig bags with guitars and...
  23. guitarrob

UA Unison Pre's VS Hardware - I'm at a fork in the road

In general, in terms of hardware, since you have the UA gear, I think this is the order of importance in terms of hardware: 1) monitors 2) mics 3) pre Regardless of what comes down the pike from UA and others, were all going to need monitors that are revealing and provide a reference that we...
  24. guitarrob

Vintech X73

Regarding the Neve clone preamps, my thoughts exactly. There are variations to be sure, but maybe no more, or at least not much more than the variations between various vintage 1073 units. My experience is not comprehensive, but I think it's enough to make this judgement, having tracked...
  25. guitarrob

Vintech X73

Oh, forgot to mention, looking at the midrange EQ points on the Aurora, it seems that although limited, like you alluded, they made good choices.
Top Bottom