• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Search results

1. M

Decent cheap 1/4" plugs on eBay with intl. shipping?

I'm not in the US, else things would be easier to find. So superficially the soldering and cable clamp configuration looks okay?
  2. M

Decent cheap 1/4" plugs on eBay with intl. shipping?

I'm after some basic 1/4" plugs. Anyone had good or bad experience with cheap ones from China on eBay? For example, these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271508089926 http://www.ebay.com/itm/271508110530 There are some others, but with no inside photos it's difficult to know how it's built...
  3. M

Modeling pedal "blowing up" modeling amp?

He doesn't have a clue. But if you're using amp modeling in the multifx pedal, and not just effects, it may sound better into a clean amp (analog or digital). That is, not into another stage of amp modeling. You can achieve this either going into the "front" of a clean amp, or going into the FX...
  4. M

Cable capacitance unrelated to price?

Found some more capacitance figures here: http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/cablechoice.shtml
  5. M

Though a rather crude EQing method by today's standards. :)
  6. M

Re most coveted guitar tones, it depends on what you want. If you want a more muffled sound it works, but that's not always the goal. You can always remove frequencies later in the chain, but if you want them they have to be there across the cable. If anyone can measure their cables, do add...
  7. M

With all due respect to overpriced plugs :) they can only add so much to the price, and it seems assembled cables are mostly priced according to length. In the above cables the cheapest uses molded plugs, but the 2nd cheapest uses Neutrik (oh, I'm sure it's "Neutrik China", like it matters). The...
  8. M

Measuring the capacitance of some cables I encountered unexpected results: cheap cables aren't necessarily worse, and might even be better. The sample size is small, but with the cheapest and the most expensive having the same capacitance, it makes me wonder. What parameters make a cable...
  9. M

Why do some people break strings, and others don't?

Only on classical. I guess the strings get dampened by the frets? What about 2 whole note bends on the treble E? Strive?
  10. M

More mains hum on Fuzz than on Dist/OD?

I have 3 Akai pedals from the Drive3 series. Supposedly the same pedals as similar ones from Biyang or GFS. The Fuzz pedal has much more mains hum than both the Distortion and Overdrive pedals. Anyone else noticed something similar? Is there any inherent reason why a Fuzz should exhibit more...
  11. M

NPD: Akai Boost3 Fuzz.....

How's the mains hum? I noticed that the Fuzz is much noisier in this regard than the Akai Distortion and Overdrive.
  12. M

Have you ever noticed that many 9V wall worts actually put out 12V or more?

Any idea if a nominal 10V DC adapter (13-14V unloaded) would be okay on 9V Akai Pro Drive3 pedals (like this)? There's no reply from the company. These pedals are probably the same thing as similar Biyang pedals.
  13. M

Jim Dunlop Pick Shootout: Med/Heavy Variety Pack

That's odd. Unless I think of something else as "clack", I find it very audible when amplified, for example with Tortex 0.73 (yellow). I've been planning to try various picks to minimize this on electric. Particularly with gain and fast picking, the noise of plastic hitting the strings is very...
  14. M

So what's next, getting 200 pick types (counting different thicknesses in that), using each for a week or two, writing down notes, going back to previously tested picks for a more direct comparison, etc.? :) Need to factor in different guitars/strings and music styles, too.
  15. M

Nice! But can you really compare picks without using them for a semi-extended while and getting used to them? I also planned to do an extensive comparison of picks, but so far most just collected a big bunch of picks types, shapes, thicknesses.
  16. M

Wahs need help accentuating?

Yes. The best way I found to make it more prominent without compression is after the amp (sim). I guess it's the louder signal, similar to using it with a compressor.
  17. M

Wah help

No personal experience with it, but the Behringer HB01 is cheap and seemingly flexible. Some people feel it needs minor modding to increase the sweep range, though.
  18. M

It sounds to me too subtle, also on clean, but maybe it's the wah.
  19. M

Do you feel that wahs need help to be more prominent, like a compressor or something else? How do you use yours for both clean and dirty, and what type of wah is it?
  20. M

Boss V Wah

Probably not, but no idea. How do you like it compared with other wahs?
  21. M

Decent 1/4" TS straight to right angle adapters?

Thanks chops and 8len8. If anyone can suggest more options, or better search keywords than "adapter" "angle" and 1/4", chime in. :)
  22. M

chops, I'm looking for an adapter rather than something to solder. Plug a straight connector in, turn it into an angled one. 8len8, is this the one: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102842 ? Any suggestions for something on eBay from Hong Kong or China? :) Getting it...
  23. M

Can anyone suggest a well designed 1/4" TS straight to right angle adapter? I only found this, which doesn't look all that nice:
Top Bottom