• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Search results

1. H

Looking for a budget ES175 style. suggestions?

I've heard a local jazz picker make some fine tones with a Luna Athena. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search?sB=r&Ntt=luna+athena
  2. H

Looking for a budget ES175 style. suggestions?

Maybe one of the new Fender Coronados?
  3. H

New production Danelectros and Silvertones...

Odd....Randy doesn't have an entry for the 1478 on his page. Silvertone Classic site says it was introduced in '63, but Randy doesn't have anything on it... http://www.silvertoneworld.net/electric_60s.html http://www.silvertoneworld.net/electric_60s_2.html
  4. H

New production Danelectros and Silvertones...

I have a confession....I'm a nut for the old budget brands of the 60's. Lately I've been wondering about the new production Dano's, as well as the new reissue Silvertones from Samick. A few models have really piqued my interest. The Dano's have pretty good reviews on MF, but since I don't have a...
  5. H

MIJ Epiphone ET-275???

Been seeing these around lately... Love the combination of the Wilshire body and the LP headstock. Anyone ever had one? Thoughts on them? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-Epiphone-Crestwood-ET-275-ET-276-Japan-PROJECT-REPAIR-/281457108831
  6. H

Pickup question...

Hmmm...live and learn... That opens up a lot of windows actually. Thanks!
  7. H

Pickup question...

I'm formulating a plan to build myself a lap steel to mess about with. The specimen I plan to use as a basic template is an old Alamo lappy, but I'm gonna make it it more ergonomic like a Peavey Power Slide so I can play it standing up should the necessity arise. But I'm also wanting some tonal...
  8. H

Vibrola tailpiece on a '66 Wilshire reissue?

I have something of an undying love for Wilshires. They just look so unique, and the reissues are light as a feather and sound great. I had yearned for the Tremotone model for a long while, but with the roller, I think the tuning issues would wind up pissing me off. I was wondering if...
  9. H

Recommend a SB electric that's easy on the hands...

Well...as it turns out, my father in law now has his heart set on a Wildkat Royale. Didn't see that one coming...
  10. H

Thanks for all the suggestions. Its looking like it'll just take a trip to a GC, SA, or any of the like that'll have a good selection to try stuff out at this point.
  11. H

I didn't even think about the Pawn Shop series....nice call! While he's at it, he could even pick up an Excelsior amp and have a matching set to call it a day!
  12. H

Do they sound okay though? He'll most likely either use a Tweed Deluxe type amp or a little Champ circuit of some kind. It might be tough to sell him on anything outside of E, F, or G. Hell he downright refused to consider one of the new Squiers.
  13. H

Scale is the same between the LP's and the Wilshires. 24.75" Both MM and Parker are outside of what he wants to spend....not that I disagree with the points you've made about them....
  14. H

So my father in law has a bad case of neuropathy that has cause him to lose nearly all feeling in his feet and legs, and his hands are somewhat numbed by it now as well. He only has a couple acoustics these days, a Yamaha acoustic electric and a Fender FA-100. The acoustics are getting very hard...
  15. H

Bob Dylan's Chrysler commercial

Yeah, I was kind of taken aback by it too. Thought it was a helluva lot better than the Eminem one from a few years back. The bit about "Let Germany brew your beer...let Switzerland make your watch...let Asia assemble your phone...WE will build your car" sent a little shiver up my spine.
  16. H

Bob Dylan's Chrysler commercial

I thought it was a well made commercial myself. Can anyone confirm something for me? The guitar he's holding in it appears to be an old Gibson LG-2, is that not right? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlSn8Isv-3M&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  17. H

Question about vintage Gretsch's

I put a GE 5751 in the preamp last night. It really helped it a lot. Also ran a Dano Fish n Chips EQ pedal in front of it. Fattened up the bottom end considerably, and eliminated the shrillness of it. Gonna toy with it a bit more today, and use it tonight at my show in St. Louis.
  18. H

Gonna try and gain it down a bit and see if that helps tame the beast. Gonna put a 5751 in it and see what happens.
  19. H

From what I understand, the new Fender Vaporizer is capable of doing this as well...and it covers ALL the bases. Even has that Vaporizer Mode to bypass everything for balls-to-the-wall unadulterated amplification. Kinda sounds familiar...LOL
  20. H

Ah. Gotcha. So basically....all that stands between the preamp and the output on this thing is a volume pot? No tone stack, no nothin?
  21. H

True, the 6149 served as a reveberated speaker cab...but it could also serve a double function as a standalone instrument amp. And yes, it has a range switch.
  22. H

Got a poser for anyone who's familiar with older Gretsch electrics. I've not heard many outside of recordings of guys like Townshend and Setzer... How ballsy would you say the ouput and tone are on Gretsch's put out from the early to mid 60's? Like in comparison to say Strats or LP's? Strong...
  23. H

Japanese 3/4 acoustic

Oh hell no. It's just resting on top of it until I get it restrung. Like I said, it's a floating bridge. I know this thing will never be a really playable guitar. It's just a cheapie my son can bang around on. My neighbor three doors down is a luthier, he said it would probably make a pretty...
  24. H

Japanese 3/4 acoustic

My mother in law picked this thing up in a yard sale a couple years ago for my son to beat around on. It has a Japanese origin stamp on the back of the headstock. No truss rod in the neck. Neat tailpiece, and a floating bridge. Tuners were someone's addition along the line. Those are...
  25. H

Mods to an Epiphone Wilshire

Quite possibly. I'm a little hesitant to get the Tremotone to be honest with you. Those pseudo-Bigsby units make me a little nervous when it comes to keeping in tune. I have a buddy with a Schecter Corsair Bigsby, and although that bad bitch sounds awesome, he has to fight to keep it in tune.
Top Bottom