Search results

1. D

Great sounding high gain pedals for metal

One nobody has mentioned, but it is inexpensive and sounds awesome is the Biyang Metal End. $70. Convinced me to sell / trade both my PisDIYawot and my MXR Fullbore.
  2. D

Do Gig Bags for Pedalboards Cause the Settings to Change?

I've got the hard case, and when you factor in the extra guitar cables, AC power strip and extension cords, etc... You can still have some knobs drift around a bit from items moving around...
  3. D

Tool fans: Aenima or Lateralus?

> Ænima. Definitely Ænima. For certain. followed by Undertow, then 10,000 Days, then Lateralus. I love them all, but yeah, Ænima rocked me then and rocks me now like no other.
  4. D

Boss Line Selector, yea or nay?

This is correct as I recall. It also allow you to boost or cut Loop A or Loop B or both. It's a damn cool tool to have in the tool kit. I'm not currently using mine, but I'll hang on to it - allows for some great routing options.
  5. D

Any love for Boss RV3?

Yeah, that seems to be most everybody's reaction. The RV5 just isnt the same...
  6. D

The most hipster guitar rig

I was thinking that Gibson Sonex into a Silvertone 2x12 amp... with a floor full of Line6 pedals or a big POD floor unit... :-)
  7. D

Cheapest pedal available for looping?

The Headrush2 is a great looper and also does delay and tape echo style stuff. I hated the RC-2 with a passion, ditched it, got the Headrush2, love it...
  8. D

RAT with more control over top end?

I hear ya. I've got an early small box Rat that I love, but wish it had a real tone stack instead of the filter control... I almost always want just a little less bright/treble than the filter sweep will give me. I did recently get a Artec parametric EQ, so I may give that a try... just wish I...
  9. D

Modern Hard Rock Type Distortion

+1 I was just about to post this same thought - while I have used some high gain pedals with my baritones (Emma Pisdiyawot, MXR Fullbore, Biyang Metal End), it requires some creative use of the EQ controls. These days I reserve the high gain pedals for regular six strings, and just use a good...
  10. D

One more time: Emergency Backup Rig !

ditto on the above, too much gear gathering dust. I have at least two nearly identical amp/speaker rigs plus other amps/speakers that could do the job. Also have several similar enough pedals that I could lash up a substitute board in about ten minutes that no one but me would notice the...
  11. D

Best little known or sleeper pedal you have come across

The Biyang 'Metal End' high gain distortion. Big big bang for the buck. I think it cost me $78 shipped brand new, and kicked a $250 Danish boutique pedal off my working board. A zillion tone shaping hi/lo/mid cut switches, vintage/modern settings, and a four band (treble, mid cut/boost...
  12. D

What is the single best distortion or drive you've played?

This ^^^ I dont always use it, but it covers more useful territory in unknown situations than most anything else I've owned. Not to mention it's outlasted most of the guitars and amps I had thru the years. I know in general terms, I could show up with my guitar and the RAT and come up with a...
  13. D

Advice on A/B'ing 2 amps with the same cabinet

Proceed with Extreme Caution. Do Not try using a passive A/B switch between the heads and the cab - that is a guaranteed trip to the amp tech for expensive surgery. You need one of the various active load switch boxes that always maintains a constant load equal to having your cab connected at...
  14. D

Chorus with bells and whistles?

That MythFX Triton looks and sounds *bad ass*. Serious GAS incoming...
  15. D

Russian 5881's value?

Those were made in quantities in the millions for the Soviet military; they are decent for what they are, but not rare or valuable by any stretch.
  16. D

Old Rola era Greenbacks, worth reconing ? Y or N

Maybe call/email Jim w/Scumback/Southbay and get his opinion... If anyone would know, it'd be him.
  17. D

New MXR Fullbore Metal - I bought one and it's going right back

I've got a Fullbore and have no issues with it, it's a decent pedal and it's dead silent. I dont use the scoop switch, it's kinds useless for me but otherwise it's a a very useful pedal. I have it on my back-up board. I also have an Emma PisdiYAUwot, but it's for sale. More organic sounding than...
  18. D

Remember the guys from high school...

I can fortunately report that the kid in high school that turned me on to guitar and that I first jammed with, went on the get an EE, form a major telecommunications company, sell the business at the height of the telecom madness and is now at 50 a successful solo/indy recording artist playing...
  19. D

Looking for a heavy distortion pedal

The Biyang is available from Earth City Sound in Texas: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230614170214&ih=013&category=41416&ssPageName=STORE:PROMOBOX:NEWLIST#LIST I've bought this and other pedals from Mike and he's a good guy. The Metal End knocked an Emma PisdaYAUwot and an...
  20. D

Why do I need pedals? Can I just turn the gain up?

Not just with a Mesa, but with any tube amp, my advice on using an 808/TS circuit; overdrive set between 0 and 25%, tone set to suit - but usually 50%, and level all the way up - 100%. Run this into an amp just on the edge of breaking up to kick it into overdrive for leads, etc. OR, if you're a...
  21. D

Any dirthounds mess with Emma yet? (a thinly disguised "metal pedal" discussion)

I own a Fullbore, a PisdiYAUwot, and a Biyang Metal End. The Metal End knocked the other two off my main board. It's cheap ($70!) and has a zillion switchable options. The Emma will also rip yer face off, but is a tad noisy. It's a bit more 'organic' sounding than the Fullbore, but the Fullbore...
  22. D

Favorite High Gain Pedal Poll

In order of preference: Byiang Metal End Emma PisdYAUwot MXR Fullbore
  23. D

Mxr classic Distortion switch replacement?

If it has six solder lugs, then that link to smallbear is NOT the correct switch.
  24. D

What pedal will bring the Scorpions tones?

I would think a Rat and a few milliseconds of delay would cover that territory quite well...