• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Search results

1. J

This Scares Me… Really

No one mentioned the Swinger or Musiclander?
  2. J

Hendrix Monterey Strat

With F#159751 above, maybe someone started with a complete black strat that they thought might pass, except for the early “13” large head, and this was what they came up with. As long as we’re speculating.
  3. J

Hendrix Monterey Strat

And amazing that the '66 JTM45-100 is now identified and intact!
  4. J

Hendrix Monterey Strat

Nice job on the video, @SwirlyMaple! Exhibit A. I liked the sonic background, too. I wish that strat would turn up intact. That and the T.A.M.I./ Gimme Shelter burst are two I would love to experience in person.
  5. J

Hendrix Monterey Strat

“ Im making another video which also compares the lacquer chips on the back to photographs from the show “ Cool, hope you post that here. Issue would be if all ‘67 damage could be fully encompassed within 2021 damage. If so, that doesn’t prove it’s real, but not would seem to disprove it...
  6. J

Hendrix Monterey Strat

Yes, that was my point.
  7. J

Hendrix Monterey Strat

The putative black strat in the video was featured in 2016 "Guitarist" magazine Issue 412. There are some photos (of the assembled guitar only) and it is reported that a dismantling inspection yielded that the neck is dated 11/64, the pots are dated 12/65, and it shows "F" plate #159751. I...
  8. J

Hendrix Monterey Strat

Other sources in the recent past described the one in the Denmark Street video as having neck dated 11/64, pots coded 12/65, pus dated 2/66, as I recall. Plus the F plate that is ca. Jan or feb ‘66 per # A few years ago I had tried to find a clear photo from either Monterey, The Savoy, Golden...
  9. J

Completely Stupid Amp Purchase - Fender Quad Reverb

Good points about the trem. Also, if you haven’t, I recommend turning it on and leaving it on for awhile while you play, sometimes after 10 minutes or 30, heating up or molecules shifting they will just start up oscillating perfectly! Helpful to figure out what is and isn’t working. I have a...
  10. J

" As I noted, the 02xxxx numbers were introduced in 1966. That AA270 schematic that was drawn in October, 1969 shows the relationship of the pre-1965 numbers…125xxx… and the FMI numbers…02xxxx. And . . . " Right, just to be certain it's clear I was just speculatin' on how they might have come...
  11. J

paul schafer has lost his mind..

I saw Albert a lot, in various places. Once at a club in the French Quarter in the '80s, there was an atypical super dense night fog surrounding everything outside. During his set, he strolled out the side door, trailing the long cord, and immediately just . . . completely disappeared for...
  12. J

The other thing I wonder about now is the '78 Super6R, which is also listed as going to 013691 OT. Did they switch from 8ohm to 16ohm speakers in the same parallel/series arrangement and designate "10 ohm load" on the back?
  13. J

Just a thought, but here's an example:
  14. J

Hi @Steppin' Wolfe- I saw your comments above about the Fender transformer part numbers in that chart. To be honest I hadn't even noticed the designation of "export numbers". Of course those don't all designate transformers for amps intended specifically for export, but rather just as you said...
  15. J

http://www.bustedgear.com/res_Fender_output_transformers.htm This lists 013691 specifically for ‘78 QR! (also Bassman 135 and ‘78 Super6R)
  16. J

I would guess Fender would wire two pairs , each with two speakers in parallel, then connect each of those two 4 ohm pairs in series, for 8 ohm total load w/four 8 ohm speakers. The other way is two pairs of speakers with series connection in each pair, then put those two 16 ohm pairs in...
  17. J

Recommend rethinking that wiring/load, as described.
  18. J

Nice photo! The talk of playing these bigger Fenders in the bedroom reminds me of something I hadn’t thought of for awhile. The only TR I ever owned was one I bought used but mint for $150 in late ‘70s. It was short lived circuit with a simple added factory master but no boost, no pull...
  19. J

Hogy beat me to it, but I was going to say also that Quad Reverbs I’ve examined had stock 16 ohm Fender blu label speakers all in parallel and Twin OT. I thought maybe that changed with UL model but looking at a post ‘73 schematic here it appears not.
  20. J

By the way, @Mattbedrock, don’t feel too bad, the really preposterous one is the Super Six Reverb.
  21. J

Yes, saw Albert Collins play through one many times, and also memorably Steve Cropper with one at the Roxy in Hollywood In the late ‘70s. Spoke with him in Memphis about that, many years later.
  22. J

Vintage 30 voice coil former material?

Hi- Back in the '90s I used to call up the late Ted Weber on the phone to discuss speakers, and among other things I put this to him. He went and fetched a few junked VCs from V30s that he had reconed and was looking them over . . . Now, when the V30 came out in the '80s Celestion at least for...
  23. J

(old) Tung Sol manufacturer date codes?

@Jack Briggs - Hi. Yes, late '50s. "D" in this case is 1958-59 and indicates the end of the T-S one-year warranty period for that particular tube I believe, so actual manufacture was at least slightly before a year prior to that. This is extrapolating backwards from vintage T-S published...
  24. J

Tube Questions

Beautiful! CV1075 = KT66. KB as described above; the “Z” designates famous Hammersmith, London M-OV factory where all original KT66s were made after the mid-1950s (3 additional M-OV locations made them as well at various times before then, including a top secret factory during WWII). “NK”...
  25. J

Tube Questions

Here’s another CV511 example from the same factory, with similar coding except it’s a GT not GTY, and the acceptance date is coded “XE” (= May 1966) http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaq0038.htm
Top Bottom