• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Search results

1. newb3fan

1st Time Builder - Capturing the Process of Building an Archtop

I figured I'd create a thread for those interested to watch along and comment on my 1st attempt at building an archtop guitar. I started a thread in the jazz guitar forum here.... https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/builders-bench/82954-another-new-newbie-archtop-build.html#post1082367 And I'm...
  2. newb3fan

Sourcing wood for guitar project?

Hi, Where do people recommend sourcing wood? Do you typically use a local supplier or do you order from an online outfit? I'm going to restart my journey to build an archtop and I'm curious. I started carving a top some 15 years ago and then starting a family took the priority. Now I'm immersed...
  3. newb3fan

Focusrite 2i2 Question on Mic Preamps

I have one of the newer generations units. I'm finding I have to crank the input gain for a dynamic microphone (Shure SM7B) to get it to an an appropriate input level. I'm like at 8+ out of 10 on the knob, which is unusual for me and I'm wondering if others have a similar experience with this...
  4. newb3fan

Kemper Track Recording in Logic...

I can't hear my output of a guitar track through my apogee duet into Logic X all of a sudden. I can't for the life of me figure out what's wrong. I'm connected OUT from the Kemper L/R with XLR into IN 1/2 in the apogee for a stereo audio track in Logic. This has been working fine for a long time...
  5. newb3fan

Recording Kemper Track into Logic Pro X

I can't hear my output of a guitar track through my apogee duet into Logic X all of a sudden. I can't for the life of me figure out what's wrong. I'm connected OUT from the Kemper L/R with XLR into IN 1/2 in the apogee for a stereo audio track in Logic. This has been working fine for a long time...
  6. newb3fan

Metheny and Kemper

Has anyone else seen this? I, for one, would like to hear and learn more about how Pat is experimenting with and putting together his sound from the KPA. Hopefully some of those details are coming...
  7. newb3fan

Breaking a jazz improv capability plateau...

For those of you that are quite capable improving over standards, is it a years long grind to get to the point of reasonable capability to be able to play over changes? I feel like at the pace I'm progressing I'm never going to get there. I'm currently learning melodies and chord charts in as...
  8. newb3fan

Ngd: Eastman Ar403ce

My first "jazz box". Looks just like the one pictured here... https://www.eastmanguitars.com/archtops-ar403ce/ What a terrific guitar for the price. I've had ES-335s and currently own one. But I have never had a guitar specifically designed and made for jazz. I love it already. It was set up...
  9. newb3fan

Kemper "Popping" issue when playing through DAW and audio track

I've had my KPA for 2-3 months now. I continue to get a sporadic short "popping" noise while I'm playing in my studio. The setup is: guitar-keeper-mains out in stereo to inputs 1 and 2 on apogee duet-audio track in Logic Pro. Computer is an iMac about 2014 age with 32MB RAM. I have been working...
  10. newb3fan

Video Lesson - Radar Love

Hey, Here's a link to a lesson video I posted up on my YT channel a few weeks ago for the classic rock tune Radar Love by Golden Earring. Hope you enjoy.....
  11. newb3fan

Anyone Using "Finale" Software for Transcribing/Writing?

I continue to struggle with how to properly set up a treble clef and TAB sheet in order to write in music notation and then convert those notes into tab. Is anyone out there good at this? And then there is something about reading notation for guitar up an octave from written? Help.....
  12. newb3fan

Recording Levels....

I understood about half of what's being taught in this video from the first viewing...but I have a felling there are some "recording level rules to live by" explained within it...
  13. newb3fan

Chank - Soloing...

How are you guys taking the solo section over this tune? I just love the groove of this tune like it's nobody's business. I'm curious to know how you handle it, both inside the chords and going outside as well. Are you starting with D mixo and going from there?
  14. newb3fan

Ear Training - Can you do this?

I thought I had a pretty good ear....let's just say I have a lot of work to do. I have to listen to the 5 chord being played, pick out and sing the root note, and then go up to the second and then either the b3 or the 3 to get it. Not as easy to do as it sounds. Try for yourself.....
  15. newb3fan

Help setting levels with Suhr RL, Torpedo WOS and Its

I'm having a hard time recently getting a good overdriven sound trying to record direct into Logic with the following set up: Guitar --> Fuchs ODS30 --> Suhr RL --> Audio track with Duet into Logic. I get a decent clean tone. But with the OD channel things get fizzy fast. Sounding nothing like...
  16. newb3fan

IRs for Cab/Speaker Simulation

Does anyone have or know of an IR specifically for a Celestion G12-65 speaker in whatever cabinet, either 2x12 or 4x12? Also is the creamback a suitable substitue? I'm looking to pair up an IR for my Fuchs ODS-30 for direct in recording through my Suhr RL and the WGS equivalent of this speaker...
  17. newb3fan

Question about the Suhr Reactive Load

I just received mine yesterday and will be running it this weekend. For those that have one or simply know the answer - Is there a particular reason why I would want to use the "balanced" versus "unbalanced" output to connect to my audio interface? Obviously it's a 1/4" cable versus a mic cable...
  18. newb3fan

iMac System Overload? with Logic

I have a 27" iMac 2013 with an i5 processor and 8GB RAM. Logic is running off of a separate dedicated drive but not all plugins have been moved yet. I've created a project and maybe have 7-8 software instruments running (drums, keys, bass). I'm getting an a system warning, for the first time...
  19. newb3fan

Areodrums....

Who has seen this? Holy crap how cool. And it's a MIDI instrument and you can record right into whatever DAW you use or trigger the samples in whatever kits you have loaded as VST plugins into your DAW. Amazing. So getting this.....
  20. newb3fan

Logic Pro X - Moving loops and such to a different drive?

Please see the link for a tutorial on how to do this... My question is that when you make the alias, and then copy that back to the original spot where the folder was, rename it and delete the original folder, are there any audio files actually in that alias folder? I guess I don't understand...
  21. newb3fan

Dialing out "sitar" sounding high frequencies from a room?

I'm having trouble with my high-frequency tone with my setup at the rehearsal space we play in for my band. This is the case now with two different rooms. They were similar in size and in one other design; cheap hardwood floors with little floor covering. He does have some sound absorption on...
  22. newb3fan

Anyone using Filmic Pro app for video recording?

There appear to be some mixed reviews right now on the latest version of this for iOS. I'm wondering if a forumite has used it and what your thoughts are for both audio quality and video quality. Also how big are the files for a middle of the choices for quality? Thanks in advance.
  23. newb3fan

Hottentot - Chord Voicings?

Anyone know these the way Sco plays them? Progression is the vamp on Bb7#9 then 8 bars of B7#9 Then C section is Bb7#9 - G13/Bb - F#m6/Bb - Gb/Ab The C section changes may be much more written for keys/organ than guitar as notated above. Thanks in advance. Link to the tune...
  24. newb3fan

NGD - LPR8

I've had my 2013 historic lemon burst R8 now for about a day. Wow what a guitar. I've played a standard for several years and this is my first re-issue. It's an outstanding guitar I cannot get over it. It plays so smoothly and fast all up and down the neck. And the tone of the custom buckers is...
  25. newb3fan

Shure Lavalier Mic Connector to Interface?

I got a Shure WL185 lavalier for xmas to record voice on videos. It has a TA4F female connector. My Focusrite 2i2 only has the standard XLR and 1/4" inputs to accept a male connector (like most all other audio interfaces. Is there one connector I can buy for this? Been searching around and can't...
Top Bottom