• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Search results

1. NashSG

Time to leave Pro Tools. What would be a good replacement?

I'm really liking Harrison Mix Bus. I added a good delay and a reverb and I really need nothing else for mixing. I like Acid for doing the bendy edit recording type stuff.
  2. NashSG

Walking bass line resources

Look up some videos on Youtube by a guy named Bob DeBoo.
  3. NashSG

Garage Rock or Punk Players What is a great set up for this type of music

I'd say the common punk/alt rock club stuff stuff you would see back in the late 80s early 90s - if you had the money or cobbled it together you had a Marshall 1/2 stack. That was actually pretty rare. You would see more people that had old funky Crate, Peavey or Fender combos with Boss...
  4. NashSG

Are You A Fan Of The Replacements?

I guess Mars now has 5 records. Some stuff to check out I guess...been probably since 2000 that I have heard them anyway.
  5. NashSG

I also saw Bash & Pop (one of Tommy's bands) do a show. They were ok but nothing astounding. They are kinda hard to find now and I wish I still had the CDs, but Chris Mars two solo records are surprisingly pretty good especially the first one. I remember liking the first one quite a bit.
  6. NashSG

Don't know if they have it online, but there is an interesting look into the Replacements general dysfunction in a semi-recent interview with Matt Wallace in Tape Op about recording "Don't Tell a Soul". Love the records but like many artists, I'm sure glad I did not have to deal with them. Saw...
  7. NashSG

What cab is better to get, a Mesa or a Marshall?

Got curious and went out and priced some cabs as Marshall 4x12s used to be pretty cheap. Yikes...what the heck happened to the used prices on Marshall 4x12 cabs? I think legal weed must be raising the prices on some of these things on Reverb, because some of them are high as heck.
  8. NashSG

Anyone superglued a cut finger for a gig?

I filled in the hole in a fingertip after losing a callous on my fretting ring finger. It worked as I could not play at all without it on that finger. The glue felt weird and I was glad to get it picked back off a couple day after the gig.
  9. NashSG

Roland XP-50

Beware of the red goo. It might be the reason it is dirt cheap.
  10. NashSG

Shouldn’t a $1500 guitar come with at least a gigbag?

$1500 bucks will put you towards a really good parts guitar even if you hire someone to put it together.
  11. NashSG

Happy Birthday! Sco just got 70!

This cut I came across a couple weeks ago is also really good. That ascending lick that Scofield pulls off at 5.08 is really cool. The runs right after the Tele starts to squeel starting about 6.20 are killer too.
  12. NashSG

These tunes with the DR big band are also really killer. The DR big band also did a great gig with Jack Bruce that is worth checking out too. They are fantastic.
  13. NashSG

Yeah, I have been following some of those Scary Goldings/Pockets recordings too. This is the trio that Scofield has had with Goulding that has done a fair amount of gigs over the past few years. (Although they have done other combinations including the collaboration with DeJohnette doing the...
  14. NashSG

Mesa Boogie vs Fender Question

Fender and Mesa both make pretty darn good stuff. There might be some specific models that have some quirks, but in general they are usually of solid to excellent quality. You will find boodles of Fender 'hot rod' amps being used on back lines all around the world. Those and the...
  15. NashSG

How many guitars do you think the person on TGP with the most guitars has?

I was starting to feel like I was a bit freakin' nuts when I was over 30 instruments. I'm down to a dozen myself which includes the basses and acoustics with the electrics. Don't get me wrong, if I had the dough and time, I'd have a Batcave or abandoned missile silo full of musical instruments.
  16. NashSG

Is there an accepted EQ range for mixes/masters so they sound pro level & not too trebly or bassy?

What are you using for monitors? If your monitoring situation is not very accurate, it is not going to be easy to transfer your mixes without unexpected things happening. As it was explained to me, it is like a carpenter using a tape measure that is always off a bit.
  17. NashSG

I love the Floyd Rose because...

Maybe it is the properly setup (like a Jazzmaster or Firebird) that is the issue, but nearly everyone I ever played with that had a Floyd was CONSTANTLY screwing around with their fine tuners in between every tune.
  18. NashSG

Had some John Scofield CDs back to the late 90s, but got really into his music big time in the past few years and have heard most of his records and many of the live shows on Youtube now. It is all worth hearing. Even as well documented as Scofield has been over the decades, there are...
  19. NashSG

Best simple options for recording bass

A whole lot of cutting bass is on the right hand technique of the player, much much more so for players with their fingers than a pick as it is takes some touch to keep things somewhat even as the signal is often way more dynamic than say miking a guitar cabinet. It's really easy setting...
  20. NashSG

I want a killer playing Gretsch with the “biggest” neck they make?

This is where the modular nature of parts guitars comes in handy. One of the ones on my wish list I thought would be cool would be to use a T-body with a bigsby and a couple of dynasonics with a big fat neck.
  21. NashSG

Strat - or Strat copy - with thinner neck profile?

Some of the old Fernandes Strats had really thin flat necks. Don't know if they are still really cheap used but they used to be and they were made in Japan. Probably still could get one and then be way under your budget to trick out the pickups.
  22. NashSG

I miss Lemmy

Time is really zooming by people, hard to believe it has been six years (Tuesday).
  23. NashSG

Ampeg still relevant?

Ampeg's cabs are generally pretty darn good and not hard to find used. I got an SVT 410HLF and that thing is awesome. We nick named it the 'minifridge'. That said their regular SVT 410 and that 1x15 cabs they make/made are all really good. I've got an Ampeg V4BH head and also use a...
  24. NashSG

For those who have had them, whats your take on P90 teles?

My semi-practical experience from what I actually have is that your P90 Tele is going to depend quite a bit on what the body and neck is like. I have a parts guitar with 2x Dimarzio 36th anniversary humbuckers that is in a fairly lightweight swamp ash T-body with fat maple/rosewood neck and...
Top Bottom