• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Search results

1. stevel

Simple Man: Songs That Weren't Popular Until Decades Later????

I was thinking about this the other day, then I saw "She's a Rainbow" in the Stones thread. Simple Man. That's a song I NEVER heard in my life before. I grew up on rock radio which at the time played everything from Elvis to current releases. I started becoming "aware" around 79 ish - I...
  2. stevel

Which Wampler Pedals are Like...

Rat (is it the obvious - the Ratsbane?) TS (Belle is green...but is that it?) I like the Pantheon which can get into BB/KoT territory. One thing I do like is the addition of Bass and Treble controls, so I'm thinking a Rat style and a TS style that also has B/T would be ideal. But he makes so...
  3. stevel

Acoustic Fingerstyle Solo Rock/Pop Arrangements?

Hi all, I posted this in another forum and it's probably just as easy to read that thread: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/interesting-fingerstyle-arrangements-of-pop-tunes-or-similar.2320564/ But I figured I'd post here for a little more visibility and since I'm a regular...
  4. stevel

Interesting Fingerstyle Arrangements of Pop Tunes or Similar?

I'm looking for a book or books of good sounding, solid arrangements, of melody with accompaniment that can be played on acoustic in fingerstyle. Edit: with a preference towards popular songs that average listeners would be familiar with. I can play Dust in the Wind, Stairway, Broon's Bane...
  5. stevel

Single Coils for Strat with...

I have an Am Deluxe. Came with 1st Gen noiseless and a dimarzio bucker. I took out the bucker almost immediately and put in a SD SH59 which I really love. I then put two CS54s in the neck and middle. Best middle pup I've ever had. The neck I wax and wane on. I wired it so Tone 2 is on the...
  6. stevel

The Pro Junior saves me once again!

I bought a Pro Junior as a "grab and go" and "rehearsal/practice amp" years ago - first or second version - not the latest ones. I actually loved it when I bought it, but it ended up sitting in my garage unused for a number of years. Started carrying it as a backup for my Twin Reverb, and...
  7. stevel

I'm just going to leave this here

https://scontent-atl3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/258789667_10224723843431092_2025457380775754717_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=HRbR8BUPuHMAX8b2msv&tn=X4denOvbpKj1ofju&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.xx&oh=75e0776647bede15a656f9449d89f410&oe=619C3B95 I know it's the GEAR page, but...
  8. stevel

Soundpersons, please don't do this...

Dear Soundpersons: Please don't play pre-show or break music that doesn't fit the venue or acts you're running sound for. Please don't play your Adrian Belew stuff at the saccharine top 40 show. Trust me, you're not going to "educate" that audience and it's just bad form. I get it, you're a...
  9. stevel

People in Bands who constantly refer to other Players, Bands - "oh they were the best ever"

This kind of peeves me. I'll be in a band and we're working up a set or something and there'll be two people going on and on about how good someone else was - or bands they used to be in were, or players they've played with were, and so on. I'm getting serious "minced meat" vibes if you know...
  10. stevel

What would you expect to be paid for:

Tribute show (think performance of a concept album such like an Abbey Road but double album length). Major local venue (hosts artists like Jason Isbell, Tommy Emanuel as well as the major arts events - Ballet, Theater, Symphony, etc. around tow - Itzakh Perlman, Bernatdette Peters, Star Wars...
  11. stevel

I thought this was a Line Array

https://www.agiprodj.com/additional_images/rcf_hdl20-a_array_example.jpg If this: https://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00qsAtRzhrACkn/Machine-Speaker-Line-Array-Sound-System-Column-Line-Array.jpg Is a "line array" methinks some marketing shenanigans are going on. Carry on.
  12. stevel

Audio Sunglasses! OMG, what a time we live in.

Did you know they make Audio Sunglasses. That's right, sunglasses with speakers built into the arms that go over your ears, so you can bluetooth those bad boys to your phone and listen to music without earbuds. This is genius. The future is now. We can all play spy. And they're not much more...
  13. stevel

Now what about that section in "Life's Been Good to Me So Far" by Joe Walsh

You guys know the one I'm talking about - that whole long synth section. Like the Don't Fear the Reaper solo, it has an emphasis on something other than 1 (I think). I've tried counting through it and I think in 2 it comes out right, but in 4 it doesn't. But if I just hear it, 1 is not really...
  14. stevel

NPD: Should have gone to Wal Mart

I just got a Mooer Blues Crab from Amazon. They're like 20 bucks cheaper at Wal Mart. So are all of them on average. I'm seriously thinking about going down to Wal Mart and building a Mooer Pedal Board! I don't know I'm going to go through the trouble of returning the Crab - not worth the...
  15. stevel

A good, solid, budget, "every day driver" and "beater" Acoustic Electric for gigging?

I'm mostly concerned about playability and plugged in sound, not so much the acoustic sound on its own. I'm not recording with this. It just needs "the sound of an acoustic guitar" when I'm on stage playing Zeppelin or something (which we basically usually just play something like Ramble On on...
  16. stevel

2 HB Pickup Guitars with 2 Vol 2 Tone - middle position?

I've never owned one and just out of curiosity - when you have a typical LP setup with 2 volumes, 2 tones, and 2 humbuckers, and a middle position, how do the volumes and pickups interact? Are the HB "out of phase" or flipped so the windings are reversed? The pole pieces are opposite but are...
  17. stevel

300 Ohm Headphones with MOTU 828es?

Hi all, I know I know - buy an amp. I'm looking for some open backs. I'm now at the point where I could buy some good ones like the HD600, but of course, it involves another purchase probably - an amp, which is another $100 and then you get into the whole "quality of the amp" issue which is...
  18. stevel

In case you're unaware of this: Free Online Synths

Not free VSTs (though most of them are) but these are online versions of VSTs you can play directly in your browser. A great way for trying these out, or using test out an example, and so on: https://synth.playtronica.com/ Some of the links are expired but I've found those synths by googling...
  19. stevel

Easy Jazz Chords for Beginners

Just in case you haven't seen it:
  20. stevel

Is an IR/Cab Sim enough to go to FOH?

In a situation where I may be able to go straight to FOH, or I may have to use an amp on stage mic'd, or BOTH. Both is not super sensible, but monitoring is often suspect. So I would do both in a situation where it would save mic'ing up my amp, but still let me use it as an on-stage monitor. So...
  21. stevel

What to Boost a clean amp with, just for more volume?

Not trying to make the amp drive harder. It's a Twin Reverb. Plenty of clean headroom. I run a boost at the end of my pedal chain - any tone I have, just louder. No drive. Can't add any gain (overdrive/distortion/clipping) of its own. Can't add any tone coloration of its own. It's OK if it has...
  22. stevel

New world record for the number of effects in a single device!

And here's one footswitch to access them. Rant over.
  23. stevel

Would you, or do you gig with $35.00 pedals?

Seriously just thinking about building out the effects I need in a Joyo board. I can get Chorus, Trem, Phase, and Flanger for $35.00 each roughly. There's a delay too though I'm not sure how good it is, and I feel like I really need tap. I've started up gigging again - right now only at about...
  24. stevel

Pedal Makers: Why not include Bass and Treble controls?

Obviously, there's tradition. And the way a Tone works versus the way a 2 or 3 band EQ would work. But does it change the sound of the pedal - for example, if you had an overdrive with your typical 3 knob configuration - Drive, Volume, and Tone - does adding the circuitry for Bass and Treble...
  25. stevel

Switchless Wah in 2021?

I have a Morley Maverick Wah. It was OK but there are a couple of things I didn't like about it: 1. It's spring loaded, so it always flips into toe up position when you take your foot off - this is necessary for it to work, but it just feels kind of funny pressing against the spring. 2. The...
Top Bottom